Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 2:43:56 PM EDT
 Wanted to inform people on my view of Lauhorner gun range. My family and I bought a membership there not long after they opened up , and to this day I can honestly say it was money well spent.
 On the first day we went there to shoot my 9 year old daughter and I were on the same lane shooting and one of the range guys commented on her shooting skills as being pretty good and offered to give her some pointers ,he worked with her for quite sometime, I thought this was great and my daughter commented on the way home how much she enjoyed shooting with the range guy.
 Since that day on I have been shooting at least every weekend at this place and have always been treated with respect . The employees that work there have always given me good solid advice on any firearm related matter .
 When I get done shooting I always visit the gun counter and admire all the guns, and by the way I have purchased 2 handguns from them so far this year considering your 5% member discount there prices are on par or better than some.
 Last weekend at Lauhorners I was looking to buy another handgun and had three employees helping me out on the purchase , I was up in the air on two different handguns so one of the employees gave me the sig 229 and a hand full of 9mm rounds and told me to try it out on the range free of charge,I did just that and ended up taking the Sig home.
When We bought the membership we read the rules carefully and it clearly states no steel core ammunition and there is a good reason why, it tears up there backstop, to me this is a solid reason due to the expense they have put into the place for you and me to enjoy, steel core ammo is not made for an indoor range.
 As far as there ammo goes it is not really over priced, maybe $1.00 more than WalMart winchester white box , plus members receive a discount on top of that.
 If people want to go there and bend the rules they have set fourth well then I can see that you may run into some problems, after all this is a gun range and safety does play a big factor to all that are envolved.
 I guess what I am trying to say is that dont let a few disgruntled people sway your mind , go to Lauhorners and see for yourself what a top notch facility they have compared to other ranges I have been too, up to date clean restrooms,a lounge with vending machines,lots of guns ,ammo and accessories, and most of all a friendly enviroment .
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't comment on the place, as I've never been there.....but I'll say that without fail every gun shop that has earned a bad reputation did so by, well, earning it.

If 10 people say it's unfriendly or run by idiots, and 1 says otherwise, you may not be guaranteed a bad experience by going there, but at the very least it says that the shop is spotty and needs to do a better job.

I will check it out if I'm ever in the area, but my guard will be up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I ahve been to dozens of indoor ranges throughout the country.  My experience at Laugh-horner was among the worst.

I was there on a Saturday.   Maybe that's when they suck?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 Wanted to inform people on my view of Lauhorner gun range. My family and I bought a membership there not long after they opened up , and to this day I can honestly say it was money well spent.
 On the first day we went there to shoot my 9 year old daughter and I were on the same lane shooting and one of the range guys commented on her shooting skills as being pretty good and offered to give her some pointers ,he worked with her for quite sometime, I thought this was great and my daughter commented on the way home how much she enjoyed shooting with the range guy.
 Since that day on I have been shooting at least every weekend at this place and have always been treated with respect . The employees that work there have always given me good solid advice on any firearm related matter .
 When I get done shooting I always visit the gun counter and admire all the guns, and by the way I have purchased 2 handguns from them so far this year considering your 5% member discount there prices are on par or better than some.
 Last weekend at Lauhorners I was looking to buy another handgun and had three employees helping me out on the purchase , I was up in the air on two different handguns so one of the employees gave me the sig 229 and a hand full of 9mm rounds and told me to try it out on the range free of charge,I did just that and ended up taking the Sig home.
When We bought the membership we read the rules carefully and it clearly states no steel core ammunition and there is a good reason why, it tears up there backstop, to me this is a solid reason due to the expense they have put into the place for you and me to enjoy, steel core ammo is not made for an indoor range.
 As far as there ammo goes it is not really over priced, maybe $1.00 more than WalMart winchester white box , plus members receive a discount on top of that.
 If people want to go there and bend the rules they have set fourth well then I can see that you may run into some problems, after all this is a gun range and safety does play a big factor to all that are envolved.
 I guess what I am trying to say is that dont let a few disgruntled people sway your mind , go to Lauhorners and see for yourself what a top notch facility they have compared to other ranges I have been too, up to date clean restrooms,a lounge with vending machines,lots of guns ,ammo and accessories, and most of all a friendly enviroment .

LOL.  Up to date restrooms?  Yeah, a lounge with vending machines is the FIRST thing I look for in a shooting range!  Your thread buried the needle on my bull shit meter well into the red.  When I read your post, it sounds like you're a Lauhorner employee trying to BS away the valid complaints that have been raised.  You just gush and gush away...  

If you are a Lauhorner employee, you could try addressing the criticism instead of spewing out propaganda.  If you're for real, then I'm glad you've had a good experience.  But...blaming everyone else's bad experiences on our "bending the rules"?  Maybe because you had a little girl with you they were nice and polite.  Maybe its some testosterone thing where they feel they have to let grown men know who's in charge in the building.  Whatever.  I'm too old for that.

In any event, one thing you said is definitely legit.  Go to Lauhorner's and find out for yourself.  Maybe bad word of mouth has put the fear of God into this place.  Good.  It will be much better for everyone.  Maybe we'll find out this was all just growing pains.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm glad to see you didn't have a wasted trip. As for my first and only experience there I would still say 5of10. Picking and choosing when to enforce the rules was problem with me. Then putting the extractor rod in backwards(per S&W)not much less I didn't even ask or want them to tear apart the gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
   Just want to respond and set the record straight on my positive opinion of Lauhorners.
   First of all I am not  an employee of Lauhorners , I just wanted to express my opinion on the subject just the same as you did. Im ungratefull that your bullshit meter was in the red based upon your lack of good judement towards my opinion.
   Everyone has good and bad opinions on every place that deals with customer satisfaction, but Lauhorners has treated me with respect no matter who Ive gone there with .
   This is something that most of all my kids love to do , good family fun and creating memories for all.
   Im sorry that your experience has been less than steller , but untill I have experienced what you have we will continue to go to Lauhorners and have a good time along with all the other people that we have met and talked to at Lauhorners.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Where is this place that all this is about
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
It is in Springfield just off of I-70.  About 30 min. from Dayton and about 45 min. fom Columbus.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
   Just want to respond and set the record straight on my positive opinion of Lauhorners.
   First of all I am not  an employee of Lauhorners , I just wanted to express my opinion on the subject just the same as you did. Im ungratefull that your bullshit meter was in the red based upon your lack of good judement towards my opinion.
   Everyone has good and bad opinions on every place that deals with customer satisfaction, but Lauhorners has treated me with respect no matter who Ive gone there with .
   This is something that most of all my kids love to do , good family fun and creating memories for all.
   Im sorry that your experience has been less than steller , but untill I have experienced what you have we will continue to go to Lauhorners and have a good time along with all the other people that we have met and talked to at Lauhorners.

BELIEVE IT
or not my wife and I were happy with our experience there up until they decided to take the gun apart. Even the guy who shaved his head bald who works there, was wondering why "the gunsmith" did that. Ask them next time when you go.
Faras the gun goes S&W received it Monday, called me later the same day to tell me about it as far visual inspection went, said it looked someone took a screwdriver to take it apart. I have tell them this, in reply I got "the man showed you no credentials and you let him take it apart anyway"
Once again ask them the next time you go in there, .
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
predator611, I'm still trying to uderstand how someone takes a gun apart without the owner's consent.......

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
predator611, I'm still trying to uderstand how someone takes a gun apart without the owner's consent.......

True. If S&W was able to see that someone tried to take it apart, it was damaged and the "smith" owes you some cash. I doubt that you'll see any of it though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Me too
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too

You mean they took your gun apart after you told them NOT to?

I would have jumped the counter and ripped it out of their hands.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I am with glockAR
Put me in the I love the palce group Me and my girl friend shoot their every week we both shoot bows and guns and have never had a problem. After reading some of these posts I asked today while there about this issue and just so every body knows they do not have a gunsmith that works there!   And as far as the steel core ammo why would anybody that knows anything about guns want to shoot steel ammo at a steel bullet trap at 25 years! I hope I am not there when somebody does.  And I agree don't let some body else tell you it is a bad place go find out for your self. It is not your regualer shit hole gun shop its clean well lit the ventilation system is great thier is no smake at all.  Oh and agillig I am willing to bet your the kinda person that would bitch about a free staek dinner! Just my 2 cents worth!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
just so every body knows they do not have a gunsmith that works there!

Not being a trained gunsmith has never stopped anyone from tearing into a gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am with glockAR
Put me in the I love the palce group Me and my girl friend shoot their every week we both shoot bows and guns and have never had a problem. After reading some of these posts I asked today while there about this issue and just so every body knows they do not have a gunsmith that works there!   And as far as the steel core ammo why would anybody that knows anything about guns want to shoot steel ammo at a steel bullet trap at 25 years! I hope I am not there when somebody does.  And I agree don't let some body else tell you it is a bad place go find out for your self. It is not your regualer shit hole gun shop its clean well lit the ventilation system is great thier is no smake at all.  Oh and agillig I am willing to bet your the kinda person that would bitch about a free staek dinner! Just my 2 cents worth!

Nah, I wouldn't bitch about a free "staek" dinner, or even a free STEAK dinner, for that matter.  But, it wasn't free.  I paid for it.  I have a right to complain if things are seriously wrong, and they are.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
and just so every body knows they do not have a gunsmith that works there!  

I only called him the "gunsmith" so who is the short fat guy with the beard who wore the lauhorner's shirt behind the counter? He's the one that did it. The gun was my wife's 40VE, and depending on what S&W suggest she will going to the BBB against them at the very least.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Nah, I wouldn't bitch about a free "staek" dinner, or even a free STEAK dinner, for that matter.  But, it wasn't free.  I paid for it.  I have a right to complain if things are seriously wrong, and they are.

Your reply  clearly shows you are just a nit picker and love to complain with out becoming involved and try to make things better. Well I can admit I was never a typist  But I do know a good thing when some body puts it in front of me
We as shooters here in the greater Dayton area have not had a desent place to shoot indoors for way to many years now. Then people like you want to tear it down and bad mouth it behind its back instead of going right to them and explaining your problems to them. You cant fix a problem by hiding from it in a web site and hopeing some body from the place sees your comments. Why should they take you seriously when you are hiding in here and don't have the guts to talk to them in person for all they know you are the guy that runs a gun shop and are trying to put them out of business.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't blame you for being upset if he messed you gun up.  I don't let others work on my stuff unless the sign on the door says GUNSMITH ! If I was you I would go in and talk with the owners about your complaint they seam like resonable men to me and you should be able to explain what happened to them. If damage was done to your gun I am sure they will make it right !
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Your reply  clearly shows you are just a nit picker and love to complain with out becoming involved and try to make things better. Well I can admit I was never a typist  But I do know a good thing when some body puts it in front of me
We as shooters here in the greater Dayton area have not had a desent place to shoot indoors for way to many years now. Then people like you want to tear it down and bad mouth it behind its back instead of going right to them and explaining your problems to them. You cant fix a problem by hiding from it in a web site and hopeing some body from the place sees your comments. Why should they take you seriously when you are hiding in here and don't have the guts to talk to them in person for all they know you are the guy that runs a gun shop and are trying to put them out of business.

Yeah, I'm a nitpicker.  But, when you single someone out personally, you ought to expect to irritate people.

I voiced my displeasure when I was there.  They know I'm not some guy that runs another gun shop, because they likely remember me.  Why would they not take what I have said seriously?  Everything I, and everyone else has said, is true, and they know it.   As for the other gun stores, if you take a look at the thread called "Rate the Ohio gun stores", I rake some of the other stores over the coals as well.  I'm not still mad about anything or looking for a confrontation.  

You are right though, we haven't had a good place to shoot indoors in Dayton for as far back as I know.  It IS a very nice facility.  I don't want Lauhorner's to fail.  They've got a good thing going there. But man...if you look at some of the things that have been posted, it seems like they just need to take a step back and examine how they run their business.  I'm hoping that the next time I go back, its like it was the first time I went, and everything is just a memory.  I'm hoping that I just caught them on bad days, and I can come back here and tell everyone I had a good experience.  Its not just me though who's had problems.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Did you cash your check from Lauhorner's yet?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]
You are right though, we haven't had a good place to shoot indoors in Dayton for as far back as I know.  It IS a very nice facility.  I don't want Lauhorner's to fail.  They've got a good thing going there. But man...if you look at some of the things that have been posted, it seems like they just need to take a step back and examine how they run their business.  I'm hoping that the next time I go back, its like it was the first time I went, and everything is just a memory.  I'm hoping that I just caught them on bad days, and I can come back here and tell everyone I had a good experience.  Its not just me though who's had problems.

Yeah I did name you presonaly and that mayhave been wrong but I did it because it was upset due to the fact as you agree with we need a place to shoot!  And this is a very nice place to do just that. We both shoot archery and guns and we can do that in one stop. I am glad you are willing to give it a secound chance I really think you might have got them like you said on a off day. I was there today and saw nothing but people haveing a good time. One guy was there from the Ohio Guard with a full Auto putting on a pretty good show for every body!  

swingset
not sure what you are about the only other post you have made you flat out said you have not been there ????? so go and enlighten us on what you think of the place!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yeah I did name you presonaly and that mayhave been wrong but I did it because it was upset due to the fact as you agree with we need a place to shoot!  And this is a very nice place to do just that. We both shoot archery and guns and we can do that in one stop. I am glad you are willing to give it a secound chance I really think you might have got them like you said on a off day. I was there today and saw nothing but people haveing a good time. One guy was there from the Ohio Guard with a full Auto putting on a pretty good show for every body!  

swingset
not sure what you are about the only other post you have made you flat out said you have not been there ????? so go and enlighten us on what you think of the place!

Why don't you just let it lie?  Coming here and being confrontational about this place does three things:

1) It pisses off the people you confront.

2) It makes it look like you are suffering a bit of a conflict of interest

3) It makes people who haven't been there yet (me) not want to go AT ALL.

By the way, Lauhorner's does NOT have a lock on modern, accessible indoors shooting facilities in the Dayton area any more.  It would behoove them to mind their manners.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They let someone shoot full auto there?  

Anyway, I'll give it another shot.  I have no problem giving money to a place that provides a service I need.  But, I'm gonna be honest about how I see things.  In my eyes, the best solution to the issues raised, is for their employees to have a little pow wow and talk about what has worked, and what hasn't.  Gun lovers aren't like ballet fans.  If a ballet fan sees a bad show, he/she claps, but walks out and grumbles about it privately.  Gun lovers on the other hand, are likely to be Republican men who don't take kindly to being slighted.  

Have a talk about some of the customer service issues, and understand that its bad for business.  The stuff that happened when that guy was trying to ship a gun should never happen, and is downright embarassing.  I'd almost be willing to chalk up the "gunsmith" issue to growing pains.  Some guys (myself included), believe they can fix damn near anything.  If it were my gun that got taken apart without my permission and ended up worse for wear, I'd be seriously pissed.  Anyone would.  If I were a Lauhorner's manager, I'd do whatever possible to fix the problem.  If it means buying the guy a whole new gun and a case of ammo, do it.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing.  For instance, go to the M1/M1A/M14 forum and ask the people there how well the new production Springfield Armory Garands shoot.  Virtually everyone will tell you that they are garbage.  But, ask how many of them have actually shot a new SA Garand.  I'm actually glad to read that you and others are having good experiences at Lauhorners.  I need a good place to shoot handguns, and I don't want to catch any shit at the range over going public with my experiences.  But, like I said, I'm just gonna be honest.  I posted my experiences because I wanted to inform the other guys here.  People share stuff to make the community better.  Its not too late for Lauhorner to have a great reputation.  But, you can't be good only 50 percent of the time.  Even Ohio Rapid Fire can be good 50 percent of the time, and go ask the guys in the HK forum about ORF.

EDIT:  Also, I can't speak for Swingset but....  You've only posted 4 times here, and all 4 posts have been about Lauhorner.  I think you can understand why some eye brows are raised.  If by chance, you are a Lauhorner employee, that's cool.  I'd be more than happy to talk to you in private message also.  No need to put up a charade that people can see through.  If you're not, hey, that's cool that you had a good experience there.  I've had good experiences there also...but damn,  some serious grievances have been raised.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes they shoot full autos you have of course have to have the proper paper work and I watched one of the managers go out and watch the guy shoot so to be sure he was not going to shoot the ceiling and crap. What I have seen it has been mostly Lawmen swat teams and so on. Nope don't work there I have a nice good paying job were I sit on my butt all day in Customer service so I do agree customer service is every thing to a business. I did not know about this site untill I heard some things being said about this site while their shooting the crap. And I wanted to also voice my opinion about what I have seen there. And they are aware of whats going on. And from what I have seen they have made some personel changes! Some body else said it earlier Growing pains I guess for a new place I am sure it will take some time to sort the good from the wanta bes
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got back from my first trip to Lauhorner gun range. I was fully expecting to be met at the door by every staff member telling me I was ugly and my momma dresses me funny. What, with all the negative posts about this place, I was a bit nervous about going, but the weather being what it is, (COOOOOLD) and having a couple of rifles I had as yet not fired and thier allowing rifles on thier INDOOR range, (NOT COOOOOOLD) off went two friends and I to the dreaded Lauhorner range. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in the door and found no recognizable instraments of torture. Instead, I found a decently stocked gun shop, with quite a number of patrons for such a poorly reviewed establishment. We were greeted as promptly as possible after those who came before us were squared away. Being our first visit there, we were required to watch a 10 minute video on gun safety. After which, we filled a form with our name and address and telephone number before being asigned to our respective lanes. At this point, seeing that one of the rifles I intended to fire is an ORF G3 clone, and having prior experiance with the rather violent ejection of this family of weapons, I asked if it were possible to get a specific lane, the very last lane on the right to be exact, as I was pretty sure my fellow shooters would not be happy catching hot .308 brass while trying to hit thier own targets. I was sure this would be the point where I would recieve a resounding "You'll shoot where we put you and like it!" and be smacked in the face with a dead fish. To my relief what I recieved was "Sure, no problem." Whew! Ducked that one. I was put on the very last lane, my friends on the first and second lanes. Heading to the door to the range, I was stopped by a black man, who being the range officer, said menacingly "Hi! Which lane are you on?" The nerve of some people! I replied "Wane ferteen." as I had an ammo can in one hand, a large rifle case in the other and my targets between my teeth. Being crazed with the power of range officer, he had the nerve to understand me and said, again, menacingly, "Right this way."  He led me to the door on the right hand side of the range. The key to the door, yes, they keep the door locked, hung around his neck from a cord. The cord, being too short to reach the lock, forced him to bend over pretty far to get it in the key hole. I had a suspicion this was a power play to force me to notice his strong muscular thighs and firm, masculine buttocks in his very tight pants, but I didn't fall for this, instead pretending to admire the very nice frame work around the door he was about to lead me through, HAHA! After getting my firearms out, the ammo box open and ready for use and a target in the holder at the far end of the range, I was all set to shoot. Only apon firing my G3 did I realized I had been duped! They had obviously known that lane suffered from poor ergonomics, causing my ejected cases to bounce off the wall and then, as often as not, bounce off my head. They TRICKED me into taking this lane! Now thier true colors were showing. As the firing line is devided by walls into several seperate areas, I could only wonder what horrors my friends were suffering through. Only after leaving the range did I learn that the range officer had asked one of my friends to move her target out a little further. My friend asked him what a little further was and asked him to move it for her himself to be sure it was out far enough. He hit the switch and moved it about 3 inches (ok, this one WAS a little silly). All in all, we were lucky to escape with our lives. I think I'll go back next weekend.

edited for some more lousy spelling
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok  thats funny I don't care who you are !! LOL
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yeah I did name you presonaly and that mayhave been wrong  

nevermind

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#28]

After reading some of these posts..  And as far as the steel core ammo why would anybody that knows anything about guns want to shoot steel ammo at a steel bullet trap at 25 years! I hope I am not there when somebody does.

Shootingcpl;

As far as the steel cored ammo goes you must not have read all of the posts, or you are going by what the guys at Lauhorner are saying.  First of all, when I bought the ammo I was told that it was not steel cored.  That is my fault for taking the guys word and not checking it myself with a magnet.  Again, if you read the all of the posts, you would have read that my issue was not the fact that I couldn't shoot steel cored ammo but it was the way they went about telling me.  If one of their guys are going to come in and inspect my ammo, I don't have a problem with that because they reserve that right.  However, don't just come into the range and open up my ammo can and begin to run your hands through it without saying a word.  That was my issue.  Say something to me and treat me like a human and a man and ask if it is O.K. to inspect the ammo.  How would you feel if you had a gun lying on the table and one of their guys just comes into the range and picks up your gun and begins messing around with it without saying word.  They obviously own the range, however they sure as hell don't own my stuff and they have no right touching it without asking.  As far as knowing about guns, I know quite a bit and I'm not going to stoop down to your level and say that I know more than you because I don't even know you.  Who knows, you may have far more experience than me, but that's not the issue.  Just to give you some background on my gun knowledge, I served 3.5 years in the Infantry and was in the process of re-calssifing to an 18B (if you don't know what it is, look it up) until i got injured.  I aslo have combat experience with every weapon in the light infantry arsenal.  To finish it off, I have 5 years in law enforcement.  If that's not enough experience, I'm sorry.  Shootingcpl, maybe you should tighten up you shot group and read all of the threads and not "some" of the threads before posting here again.  I, like most of the other guys will probably go back to Lauhorners and if I do, hopefully the guys I dealt with originally will be there.  If you read all of the threads, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Have a good one and maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting you in person one of these days.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been to Lauhorners on three different occassions.  Will elaborate below.

1) Went right after they opened,  staff seemed to be helpful, good selection of products to look at, didn't shoot, but overall a decent experience.

2) Second trip was with 6 others from the Sheriff's Office where I work.  We used the interactive live fire simulator.  Was enjoyable and staff were all helpful.

3) On my third trip, January,  I had been involved in a car crash and was using a cane.  I was dressed comfortably, due to injuries that I had sustained.  Wanted to look at several different pistols, but the five  staffers behind the counter, did not seem to want to provide anyone with any service and seemed to be involved in their own conversation.  I waited about 10 minutes, with still no one asking me anything , I then left.   I would rate the experience as very poor.  

Two out of three visits were good overall.   I will continue to go, as long as I have no further experiences like my last visit.   They need to keep in mind , that just because someone looks like they might not be a buying customer, that is not always so, I usually buy a firearm  every couple months.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, my squadmate and I went back for some trigger time.  Same people, yet much, much better experience.  Everyone was friendly, and we had no problems.

One MAJOR plus is that it looks like they've taken the metal rails off the shooting benches.  Those things looked like they could cause some damage to your finish if you laid your gun on them wrong.  Apparently someone at Lauhorner was thinking the same thing because they are gone.  Good lookin' out there.  All in all, a good day.  Hopefully they've got the bugs worked out and continue making it a great place to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Mpd224

I do not disagree with you at all about some body going thru my stuff or touching my guns with out at least asking  mannors are mannors I don't care if you own the place or not.  I really think it is just growing pains they are new and working out the bugs. I how ever will not be seeng you there I just found out Tues I am being transfered to NC so I hope you guys all work it out and enjoy the shooting range i will be Down South ! be good and shoot strait! go figure I I have lived here 20 years and no place to shoot I get 2 places in the same year and I get transfered!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

After reading some of these posts..  And as far as the steel core ammo why would anybody that knows anything about guns want to shoot steel ammo at a steel bullet trap at 25 years! I hope I am not there when somebody does.

Shootingcpl;

As far as the steel cored ammo goes you must not have read all of the posts, or you are going by what the guys at Lauhorner are saying.  First of all, when I bought the ammo I was told that it was not steel cored.  That is my fault for taking the guys word and not checking it myself with a magnet.  Again, if you read the all of the posts, you would have read that my issue was not the fact that I couldn't shoot steel cored ammo but it was the way they went about telling me.  If one of their guys are going to come in and inspect my ammo, I don't have a problem with that because they reserve that right.  However, don't just come into the range and open up my ammo can and begin to run your hands through it without saying a word.  That was my issue.  Say something to me and treat me like a human and a man and ask if it is O.K. to inspect the ammo.  How would you feel if you had a gun lying on the table and one of their guys just comes into the range and picks up your gun and begins messing around with it without saying word.  They obviously own the range, however they sure as hell don't own my stuff and they have no right touching it without asking.  As far as knowing about guns, I know quite a bit and I'm not going to stoop down to your level and say that I know more than you because I don't even know you.  Who knows, you may have far more experience than me, but that's not the issue.  Just to give you some background on my gun knowledge, I served 3.5 years in the Infantry and was in the process of re-calssifing to an 18B (if you don't know what it is, look it up) until i got injured.  I aslo have combat experience with every weapon in the light infantry arsenal.  To finish it off, I have 5 years in law enforcement.  If that's not enough experience, I'm sorry.  Shootingcpl, maybe you should tighten up you shot group and read all of the threads and not "some" of the threads before posting here again.  I, like most of the other guys will probably go back to Lauhorners and if I do, hopefully the guys I dealt with originally will be there.  If you read all of the threads, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Have a good one and maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting you in person one of these days.  

MPD224

In response to many issues that I have seen posted referencing Lauhorner's Range in Springfield, Ohio.  I am not an employee of Lauhorner's, however I have been involved at the range since before they opened.  I have had the opportunity to be involved with many ranges throughout the US and the world.  What I can say is Lauhorner is one of the cleanest (Lead Residue Clean) that I have ever experienced.  This is a major factor when you are shooting indoors, protected from the elements.

The staff at Lauhorner's is new, it's a new facility, they have a steep learning curve.  MPD224, I am not going to question you knowledge of firearms and or your background, instead I am going to applaud you for your past efforts and your current choice of vocation.  However, I can only venture to say that I am sure there was someone in your past, Military, LE, or Civilian, that took the time to instiill in you, your passion for firearms.  May I suggest, instead of flaming the employees of Lauhorners, take the opportunity to share your knowledge with them, and give to others what has been given to you.  

Lauhorner's has invited all shooting disciplines to become involved with their facility, from shooting leagues, competition, and training opportunities.  If you are not involved with a shooting organization, get involved, if you can't find one, start one!  I know the Training Co-ordinator at Lauhorner's is seeking persons such as yourself to get involved.  The future of shooting sports is up to each and every one of us to get involved.

As for the steel core ammo.  The employees of Lauhorner's was advised by the manufacturer of their range (Which is rifle rated) to prohibit the use of steel core / armor piercing ammo.   Anyone who has had their favorite pistol targets destroyed by the ignorance of high powered rifle shooters will appreciate this requirement.  They were advised to utilize the "Magnet Test".  

As a result of this forum, I was contacted and asked about the issue of steel core ammo.  Steel core ammo, or armor piercing ammo has a worldwide color designation of a "Black Tip".  On impact the steel "Sabot" center will penetrate inches of armor plate, which will obviously destroy the steel backdrops eventhough they are rifle rated.  However, the "Magnet" test will proclude "Magnetic" metal jacketed bullets that are not steel core or armor piercing.  The policy at Lauhorner's has now been modified to allow "Magnetic" metal jacketed bullets as long as they are properly marked and in original packaging.  Any suspected  "Steel Core or armor piercing" rounds will not be allowed.   In other words, drag your favorite 5.56 or 7.62 out of the safe, lug the tin of cheap "Eastern Full Metal Jacket Ammo" to your car, and go to the range and have a blast.

I hope this can help clear the air, and get everyone "On Target" !

Sincerely,

NiteRgr

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess now would be a good time that I had another good experience at Lauhorner's.  2 in a row.  I guess they got the chinks in the armor worked out.  If they keep it up, they'll be around a long time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know when anyone started going there.  I started in December and haven't had a problem.  They have a bunch of retired/ex-military and LEO guys now.

They've been helpful when I had a big group come in (dad, father in law, fiance, two friends, and a little sister).  We got the 5 lane section to ourselves.

Heck, tell them you want to keep your brass for reloads, they even sweep it up for me... and my buddy's lane.  << not an employee.  Just happy to have some place other than my friend's farm to shoot at when it is cold/rainy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Just spoke with some of the guys at Lauhorner's, not only are they listening and learning, they are listening and ordering!  Some new RRA M-4 variations are in route, got my name on one already!

NR
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top