Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:57:32 PM EDT
I finally went.  I watched a goofy ass video (legal reasons ). Ar15 went back to the vehicle because of the ammo restrictions. Kinda laughable when I seen what they are asking for ammo.
 Got to finally shoot, then the rear sight falls off my wife's gun. They seen it and wouldn't allow her to shoot it until fixed. Though nothing was said to the dickhead they put right beside us( with 8 other lanes open) bumpfiring his reloads. Yeah reloads, (clearly posted and asked when you bring it in)or some pretty shitty cases that weren't trimmed right from from Winchester, which I seriously doubt. I've drove over better looking cases leaving the Logan County gun range.
At this point the "gunsmith" comes out and piddles with it for 30 minutes. Told him 4 times it was under warranty just going to have to send it back to S&W. Same time a gentleman trying to do a transfer to Florida in which they said $25, they dogged his gun the whole time, kept telling him it was overpriced and then in the same breathe tried to buy it and shaft some poor guy in FLA. The guy politely said no I'm just here to the transfer the gun and will need a copy of you FFL and shipping verification. They gave him a little shit , he then whipped out his badge . That just about did it for me.
They then proceded to tear  apart my wife's after we told him 3 times the rear sight was sonic welded on by S&W. I got a stare, then told him I work in plastics and have burnt by more plastic than he probably has ever seen. Then had to explain to him why and why not to weld plastic to metal, actually it was pro-formed on but S&W called it this.To top it off he tried to sell us some new sights installed for $110. He then got on the phone, we picked up the gun and left.
 Prices for the targets were nice, Videos and books were equal to that of the average internet site.Everything else was priced 10-20% higher than OE in Tipp City.
 Out of all my experiences at varying gun ranges I'd rate this 5 of 10.  We weren't in the cold.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for keeping me from wasting the gas to go there.

If reports of fucktard behavior continue, I predict a short exsitance for that place.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it's good to see that other folks are seeing the true side of this range.  As said in another post, it is a shame that they treat their customers this way because they really have an opportunity to be a good range.  The facility is nice because it is one of the few indoor ranges that will actually handle a rifle.  Their staff completely SUCKS.  I don't know where they find these guys to work there but they have no clue about guns.  I posted in another thread about this place that I saw two of their employees trying to sell a guy a Brushmaster AR.  I had to laugh when they called it a Brushmaster.  Unless things change, they have lost my business.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
My only trip there was less than good....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I posted my experiences with Lauhorner's in 3 or 4 different posts in the Ohio gun shop thread.  The truly amazing thing is that they don't treat members any better.

I was kinda hoping someone who works at Lauhorner's might see the posts and take action to fix the problems.  But, do those guys really even care about guns?  I don't expect a 1000 word dissertation on the differences between the 5.56 and the .223 rounds, but some of these guys act like they don't know a dang thing about guns.

...and I guess the ignorance of guns would be forgivable if their customer service wasn't bottom of the barrel crappy.    
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I've only been to Laughenheimer's once.  My only problem with the trip is that I hate paying that much for range time.  I'm just used to going over to my buddies and popping off a few rounds.  And this outdoor range I was a member at in Florida years ago kind of set my expectations low for prices.  (Any good outdoor ranges in the Springfield area?)  And that whole members shoot free on Monday and Tuesday thing is stupid as I work and can't get there then.  

The folks I spoke with didn't jerk me around any and the one guy was pretty cool.  Showed us (went with my brother) their interactive trainer thing and generally seemed nice enough.  I wouldn't go back, at least not often, just on principle though.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]

I was kinda hoping someone who works at Lauhorner's might see the posts and take action to fix the problems

I E-mailed them the link to the gun shop thread, but didn't get a reply from them.

I titled it : A Manager Needs to Read This.

I've thought about driving up there a time or two - I'm about 50 miles away, but after reading this bad stuff about rude/ignorant stupidity, I'm no sure I want to go.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]

do those guys really even care about guns?  I don't expect a 1000 word dissertation on the differences between the 5.56 and the .223 rounds, but some of these guys act like they don't know a dang thing about guns...and I guess the ignorance of guns would be forgivable if their customer service wasn't bottom of the barrel crappy.

I forgot to add this in my earlier post because it happened to my buddy and not me.  He asked one of the guys if they had any Remington 700's and low and behold, the guy grabbed a lever action rifle and handed it to him.  I would rather for a guy to tuck his tail and admit that he is learning or doesn't know anything about guns rather than making himself look like a dumbass.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

do those guys really even care about guns?  I don't expect a 1000 word dissertation on the differences between the 5.56 and the .223 rounds, but some of these guys act like they don't know a dang thing about guns...and I guess the ignorance of guns would be forgivable if their customer service wasn't bottom of the barrel crappy.

I forgot to add this in my earlier post because it happened to my buddy and not me.  He asked one of the guys if they had any Remington 700's and low and behold, the guy grabbed a lever action rifle and handed it to him.  I would rather for a guy to tuck his tail and admit that he is learning or doesn't know anything about guns rather than making himself look like a dumbass.

What store or business used to be where Lauhorner is now?  From a distance, it kinda looks like a Ponderosa.  Maybe when whatever business closed down, the employees at the previous business were offered jobs at the gun store.  I guess he could be forgiven for not knowing about what some people think is the best bolt action under 1000 bucks, but I have to wonder why he felt the need to just grab any old gun.  Maybe he equated "Remington" with "cowboy guns", and grabbed a level action.  Its not nearly as bad as the "Brushmaster" incident.

So...has zanthope's email to Lauhorner been read yet?  I'm sure Lauhorner will survive its first year.  Enough people will come in and have a good first experience, that they decide to buy year memberships.  But, word of mouth will get out, and even people with memberships will stop going.  Then we'll see Lauhorner do things to make up for lost revenue-like only letting people shoot ammo bought there (and with higher prices), and alter membership "privileges".  After that, they're just a memory.  

It really would be nice if someone from Lauhorner came here and addressed these concerns.  I'm not looking for people to get fired, or for major policy changes.  But, an apology would be a good place to start.  That, and a guarantee that they'll tell their employees that unprofessional behavior won't be tolerated.  When you walk into any other business with the intent of giving them your money, they are courteous.  I'm not sure where the arrogance at Lauhorner comes from.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#9]

What store or business used to be where Lauhorner is now?  From a distance, it kinda looks like a Ponderosa.  Maybe when whatever business closed down, the employees at the previous business were offered jobs at the gun store.

It was a Pondersoa and I would have to agree with you about the employees.  I as well hopes that someone from Lauhorner's will reads this post.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, in another thread here, it has been reported that Vandalia Armory has changed its policy on ammo.  You can now bring your own factory ammo.

That kills Lauhorner for anyone living west of SR 201.  Why drive all the way to Springfield to put up with that shit?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quote: So...has zanthope's email to Lauhorner been read yet?

Nothing back in reply yet.

When I wrote to them, I said that I wanted them to succeed, and they should please read the link.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:50:22 AM EDT
[#12]
It is one of the cleanest if not the cleanest indoor range I've ever set foot in. I do not know their names but the bald guy and tall lanky guy with a mustache were so courteous from the start when explaining the rules to paying at the counter, I thought man I'll be down here more often than once a week. Then boom the bomb went off, the two other guys there I had no idea what they did, but customer service was not it. I hear a guy at the other end trying to do a transfer(looking reallly pissed) what started off to be a quick fix for the sight, turned out to be more than I wanted or never even asked for. At this point I'm going to suggest going down there to anybody who asks me about the place. Well then you know the rest.
I worked at the Sportsmans Depot in Urbana, 3 things big Stan said you always have to do to get repeat business.
1.) when asked a question answer it honestly without bias
2.) never put down a customers firearm whether they are buying,selling, or shooting it
3.) never take someones gun apart without them signing a consent form
well zero out of three isn't a good thing for Laugh-horners
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
predator, did you tell them to stop working on your firearm?  Did you demand it back when it became obvious that they were doing more to it than what you wanted them to?  Did they comply?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#14]
They put it back together when I asked, damn thing is my wife nor I never told them to take it apart. S&W is being very generous and replacing the extractor plunger, slide end cap, and the whole striker assembly along with rear sight. A little over $65 for using the wrong tool minus the sight. I was told by them all they needed to do was push the striker assemby down after pressing the safety plunger down then let off the plunger then let off the striker assembly, that will hold the firing pin in place, then push off the slide end cap off with your thumb no tools required. now for assembly you can use the plastic end of the cleaning rod while putting back on the end cap.

They will also probably be sending them a nice little letter stating do not take apart there weapons unless you at least have the one free video they toss in with, to teach FFL holders to take it apart.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top