User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:07:29 PM EDT
Blagojevich, Daley urge ban on assault weapons

By Courtney Flynn and Christi Parsons
Tribune staff reporters
Published January 17, 2006, 9:36 PM CST

After several failed attempts to pass a statewide ban on assault weapons, Gov. Rod Blagojevich and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley said Tuesday they will make the initiative a top priority in the current session of the state legislature.

In a joint news conference, the two Chicago Democrats called on the General Assembly to support their proposal to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of semi-automatic and .50-caliber weapons.

Blagojevich said his plan would do away with some of the most powerful guns on the market, and that it therefore doesn't affect the rights of law-abiding gun owners who want weapons for self-defense or hunting--a point vigorously put forth by gun-rights groups.

"We don't need to have TEC-9 assault weapons, Uzis or AK-47s to protect our homes, protect our neighborhoods or to go hunting," Blagojevich said. "And you certainly don't need the .50 caliber sniper rifle to do anything but act as a terrorist and be a criminal and a gangbanger."

The governor will make a pitch directly to the General Assembly when it convenes for his annual State of the State Address on Wednesday. That speech comes two years after the expiration of the federal ban on assault weapons, after Congress failed to re-enact it.

Even before the expiration, law enforcement officials and gun-control advocates have been trying to enact some form of assault-weapons ban at the state level. Seven states have done so but in Illinois, efforts have failed by a handful of votes.

Still, Blagojevich and Daley think there may be some momentum behind their efforts. Last year, lawmakers sided with gun-control groups on several votes, including one to require background checks for all sales at gun shows.

Daley said the next step is to get rid of assault weapons.

"I think all of us have made great progress in the last few years of reducing the amount of violence in our communities, both in the state and in the city," Daley said. "If we are really to make the progress that we want, we have to keep the most dangerous weapons that are right here off of our streets."

According to the Blagojevich administration, assault weapons are those that fire bullets rapidly and that can hit several targets quickly. Assault weapons have a high level of firepower, can penetrate body armor and tend to pose a significant threat to police, according to the governor's news release.

Gun-rights groups say the legislation is unfair, because the description covers guns commonly used by law-abiding hunters and sport shooters.

"There's no making these people happy," said NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde. "They just want to ban as much stuff as they can .ƒ|.ƒ|. They will never be happy until they have eradicated firearm ownership."

[email protected] [email protected]

Wow, I feel dumber after reading that, that has to be some of the worst liberal gun grabbing garbage I have ever read.  And it may not be Ohio, but Illinois isnt that far, I sure hope this kinda crap doesnt spread 2 states east.. (which is us im referring to)  Or, maybe these guys are right... Since we all know how inseperable a gang banger and his .50 cal barrett are! If we dont get these 50 cals off the street, old ladies will be robbed at gun point for their purse with a 34 pound, 5 foot long 50 cal
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Blagojevich, Daley urge ban on assault weapons

"We don't need to have TEC-9 assault weapons, Uzis or AK-47s to protect our homes,

NEWSFLASH. AK-47's haven't been imported into the US since...who knows?  An AK-47 is a select fire rifle that fires the 7.62x39 round.  Is this liberal idiot talking about semi-automatic rifles that look like AK-47's?  If so, what makes these rifles so dangerous?  If he wants to ban my Romanian SAR-1, why not the Ruger Mini-30?  Afterall, we all know the Judases at Ruger only make "Firerarms for responsible citizens"

Last time I checked, most of the "Uzis" being sold weren't select fire either, but just ugly looking handguns that fire at the same rate of speed as my Glock.

protect our neighborhoods or to go hunting," Blagojevich said. "And you certainly don't need the .50 caliber sniper rifle to do anything but act as a terrorist and be a criminal and a gangbanger."

Well, it kinda helps if you want to have them for the .50 Cal competitions.  In my relatively short experience as an LEO, I've never seen any "gangbanger" with a .50 Cal.  I don't know of one ever being used in a crime in the US either.

According to the Blagojevich administration, assault weapons are those that fire bullets rapidly and that can hit several targets quickly. Assault weapons have a high level of firepower, can penetrate body armor and tend to pose a significant threat to police, according to the governor's news release.

Uh...most cops can fire their duty gun as fast or faster than they can fire an "assault rifle".

"There's no making these people happy," said NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde. "They just want to ban as much stuff as they can .ƒ|.ƒ|. They will never be happy until they have eradicated firearm ownership."

Bingo.  That's why its important to never give the anti's an inch.  Ever.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top