Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/3/2006 11:46:27 AM EDT
My wife might be attending UD for her PhD. I need to know what the area is like for gun owners and CCW holder (I have an Oregon CCW).

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
i personally would live outside the city of dayton...

1 its a shithole..
2. if i remember correct, they have a magazine restriction on firearms./assaultweapons

Not sure if they would honor your CCW or not... I would have to do some checking, but i am sure that others will chip in on the subject!  Or i hope they will!

I would look at the communites that are a little further out of dayton....
(west of dayton) New lebanon , west alexandia, eaton ( eaton is in preble county, but 26 miles from dayton.) ( work in dayton an dont mind the drive from eaton )

North-  vandalia, tipp city , troy

east is xenia....

south.... springboro, franklin

Just my $0.02

colt!

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My wife might be attending UD for her PhD. I need to know what the area is like for gun owners and CCW holder (I have an Oregon CCW).

Ohio and Oregon do NOT have a Reciprocity agreement as of the information supplied by the Buckeye Firearms Association dated September 2005.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
How would I get an Ohio CCW permit?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Oregonia.  It is a nice quiet (when we aren't shooting that is) country community about 20-30 minutes or so from Dayton.  South of Xenia.  I am only 15 minutes or so from a great shooting range MILLERS.  Open all year round 365 days a year.  If you have to have a lot of shopping and places to eat real close it's not ideal but within 15-20 minutes you can be at  just about any type of restaurant you would want.  It seems farther out than it really is.  Want any more info let me know.  Email or IM's are good also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How would I get an Ohio CCW permit?

Hello, Karl.

My name is Collin, and I am with the Buckeye Firearms Association.  An Ohio Concealed Handgun License is obtained by:

1: Successfully completing a 12 hour course taught by an NRA or Ohio Peace Officers Training Council certified instructor.
2:  Filling out paperwork
3.  Going to your sheriff, or an adjoining county's sheriff and getting fingerprinted and paying $45 plus $29 FBI background fee.
4.  Waiting up to 45 days.  

I am also a Realtor and would be willing to help you (no charge) in finding a home and getting  your CHL (I'm an instructor).  Feel free to email or PM me.  I'll answer all your questions.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
In general, for firearm owners, suburbs is fine.  

I grew up in Kettering, Washington Twp (section of north Centerville and southern Kettering).

Now if you have C3, just bring them in... If you plan to acquire C3, Centerville is a no sign, recent transplant told me he talked to Cheif, even though he already owned a nice collection he brought with him.   Unsure about Kettering, would not even bother with Oakwood.

Up here, Troy PD will sign, just leave at window, pick up next day if somebody remember to call you. Sheriff if you in twp, he funny from what I hear, but ok, no suppressor though, Troy PD--> OK.

New Lebanon is west, somewhat rural, small town.  Stay out of Dayton if can, they have a firearm card.

Feel free to ask more in the area you looking.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The city of Dayton does have its own assault weapon ban.  Its one of those selectively enforced laws.  If memory serves correctly, no rifle can be capable of having a magazine size larger than 10 round, unless its a .22lr.  I guess if you're a Garand collector, you're all set!

I find this puzzling since a gun store well within the city limits sells M1A's, AR-15's, and the like, but whatever.

I'm a police officer with the city of Dayton.  All I will say about the city is that I live here because I'm required to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the good advice and help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in Centerville. It's pretty ritzy now. a lot of either nuevo riche or old money. The school systems in south dayton are pretty good as well. Mainly Bellbrook, Centerville, Beavercreek, and Kettering. The actual downtown area is a shithole. Pretty scavenged by old industry and factories. The river that goes through downtown has the highest E-Coli count in the state of Ohio as well so that gives you an idea of the area. They are trying to do a community improvement project on the downtown area but I don't think it's working. In their great thinking, someone thought it would be a good idea to have water fountains in the river shoot water into the sky to project movies/light shows onto. Ironically, they are shooting treated water into one of the dirtiest rivers in the state and charging the citizens for the water and electric bill to do this. Not only that but the water crashing back into the river creates a vapor and then of course everybody gets to breath that crap in the river. In the 18 years that I lived there I never really found anything worthwhile to do for entertainment.

There is a nice state run shooting range in Spring Valley, just south of bellbrook. There's a few good gun shops as well.

In general, I would situate myself in the south side of dayton in the Suburbs if I was forced to move there. But then again I spent the entirety of my adolesent life trying to escape Dayton, so I'm biased. UD seems to be a good school. It's pretty expensive and I have had friends that have gone there say that they could have gotten the same education for a lot less at a state school. But then again that was for undergrads, so what do I know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife has suggested that Centerville would be a tolerable place to live and a reasonable distance from UD campus for an acceptable commute.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My wife has suggested that Centerville would be a tolerable place to live and a reasonable distance from UD campus for an acceptable commute.

I dont know how much house your looking at buying but there are cheaper city's to live in than Centerville. West Carrolton, Moraine and Miamisburg are within 10-15 minutes from UD and are relatively nice safe citys with affordable living. Germantown is also nice and is more rural.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know how much house your looking at buying but there are cheaper city's to live in than Centerville. West Carrolton, Moraine and Miamisburg are within 10-15 minutes from UD and are relatively nice safe citys with affordable living. Germantown is also nice and is more rural.

That is good to know. I will relay the info to her. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know how much house your looking at buying but there are cheaper city's to live in than Centerville. West Carrolton, Moraine and Miamisburg are within 10-15 minutes from UD and are relatively nice safe citys cities with affordable living. Germantown is also nice and is more rural.

Sorry, the grammar nazi in me could not be kept restrained.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I spelled it that way in the beginning but it looked funny so I changed it
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spelled it that way in the beginning but it looked funny so I changed it

Hate it when that happens.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]
If I were you I would look at Preble County (Eaton area).  Taxes are much cheaper.  Your not that far from Dayton or Richmond, Indiana and you have plenty of areas where you can shoot.  Preble county is rural.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Im in the Kettering area. My girlfriend works at Miami Valley hospital right by UD, literaly like 14 minutes from our house.  A little south is Centerville and youd be about 15-20 minutes from her school...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#18]
As with any large city in the US, you're better living in the suburbs or further out if possible. As far as I'm concerned, ANY rural area in Ohio is just dandy. And remember: Anything's better than Cleveland.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Make your ccw application in Miami County (Troy) The Montgomery County (Dayton) office seems to have more applications and takes longer. I got mine from Troy in 6 days. I would avoid living IN Dayton if you have any kind of choice at all. There are some decent areas, but there are even more that may look decent but have serious problems with drugs and everything that goes with them (robberys, prostitution, burglerys etc) and although official sources will deny it, there seems to be a growing gang problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in the military and just moved here about 5 months ago. I live in Miamisburg and it's a pretty nice area.  Can someone please elaborate a little more on where exactly the ranges are in the area, such as Millers or the one in Spring Valley?  Are they public/private, indoor/outdoor, free or have to pay?  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm in the military and just moved here about 5 months ago. I live in Miamisburg and it's a pretty nice area.  Can someone please elaborate a little more on where exactly the ranges are in the area, such as -

Millers (open to public/ membership/outdoor)- 75 south to exit 38 (st rt 73), go east to the first flashing yellow light, and turn right on Township Line Rd, Millers is 1/2 mile up on left  ($5 day ? // $35 yr)

or the one in Spring Valley? (Ohio Dept Natural Resources/public/outdoor)-- Get yourself to 48 and Spring Valley Rd, and head east on Spring Valley Rd till it dead end at 42... turn right, and as the road open up into 4 lane divided, watch on left (up a little) for Roxanna-Burlington Rd (there is a canoe livery/sign there).... turn left... follow it up a little bit to Houston Rd (there is a range sign with arrow to point you), go up the hill, and turn right into the driveway, follow it down to the range.   You willneed a day pass, or a yearly pass.  When you get to 42, turn left to get to the General Store there along 42 in town to get your pass.

Miamisburg Sportsman Club (membership/open IPSC to public/misc open shoot activities),  725 west of town, (over river), up the hill to  Union Rd, turn right, 3/4 mile up on right... road will appear to dis-appear into horizon,  the drive is just before the rise in the road,  white fence with gate, goes up between 2 houses.
Are they public/private, indoor/outdoor, free or have to pay?  Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks SBR!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Make your ccw application in Miami County (Troy) The Montgomery County (Dayton) office seems to have more applications and takes longer. I got mine from Troy in 6 days.

applied at the mont. co office in december 05 and had my license in 2 days.  cant beat that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i personally would live outside the city of dayton...

1 its a shithole..
2. if i remember correct, they have a magazine restriction on firearms./assaultweapons

Not sure if they would honor your CCW or not... I would have to do some checking, but i am sure that others will chip in on the subject!  Or i hope they will!

I would look at the communites that are a little further out of dayton....
(west of dayton) New lebanon , west alexandia, eaton ( eaton is in preble county, but 26 miles from dayton.) ( work in dayton an dont mind the drive from eaton )

North-  vandalia, tipp city , troy

east is xenia....

south.... springboro, franklin

Just my $0.02

colt!

+1 on that! or even Beavercreek, Centerville, Fairfield and the other 'burbs
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the advice. For now Dayton is still a very real possibilty. Other schools that she has applied to are Michigan state and Notre Dame.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I applied in Troy on Dec 20 and got my license Jan 11th.  She said it would have been faster but Christmas/NewYears week slowed everything down.

You do have to make an appointment though, keep that in mind.   I'm not sure if you do in Montgomery county or not.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top