Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/2/2006 12:23:39 PM EDT
I was thinking about making one, but couldnt find much info on home made ones..I dont have any AR steel, just 3/8 mild. Could I make some out of this and what caliber/yds would it be good for.
I really dont know much about them. Any help????  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
i use old rail road tie plates welded to a chain

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at speedwell targets and see how they make theirs.
As for mild steel forget it it will end up cupped and look like the surface of the moon. Making it ever more dangerous.  500brinnel hardness is the standard for target steel you want to mount your target in such a way that you can control the direction of your projectile ie. into the ground or a earthen burm ect. Think of it as a bank shot  or controlle ricochet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
3/8" mild steel will hold up to pistol rounds pretty well.
I've got a couple that have a few hundred rounds on them, and they are still in good shape.
AR500 is the stuff you really want, but it is pricey.  For the price you could replace
your 3/8" targets ten times and still be out less money.  
As with any steel targets, you want to shoot from a safe distance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replys .....fellas
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top