Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/24/2005 7:37:15 PM EDT
When I was out for shotgun season the other day it got me thinking that the shotgun only rule in OH is pretty archaic. Personally I would feel alot better if guys were toting scoped 30-06s rather than a bead sighted 12g.

1. Nearly all hunting rifles today wear a scope. I bet 90% of centerfire hunting rifles wear a scope, but I bet only about 30% of the shotguns used for deer do. Scopes alow for better target identification and accuracy, especially in low light curcumstances. IE first safely rule of hunting, identify your target and what is beyond!

There would be less wounded deer. There are still a good number of guys out there who are looking down the barrel of a bead sighted 12g shooting rifled slugs, and if they hit something, they are probably going to wound it.

2. The popular meathod of hunting has drastically changed, most people now hunt from stands, putting shots directly into the ground. Unlike half a century ago when 20 guys went on drives or with dogs and chased deer while wildly shooting at anything they thought they saw.

3. Weather a poorly aimed bullet travels a mile and hits a farmhouse or 7 miles and hits a farmhouse really doesnt matter, what matters is it was a irresponsible shot.

4. yeah people are going to be more successfull, there still is a limit on the number of deer we can shoot, and if people are still shooting to many deer cut the gun season down a few days. It isnt written in the 10 commandments that Ohio has to have a week long gun season.

OK rant off/

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to think it was a good idea, until I bought land in the country.

1 slug hole right in the side of my house, another in my garage. The hole in my house isn't far from where my wife stands in the kitchen to do dishes. Luckily, it dissipated enough energy that it didn't punch all the way through. Imagine a 30.06 fired from the same distance.

And, think about this, I live in a somewhat hilly terrain, about 80% of Ohio is flat as my prom date. That's bad news with an errant shot.

If all hunters shot from stands, were sure of their targets, had some fucking common sense? Oh yeah I'd be all for it. But, that's not who's prowling the woods, driving deer from the ground, budweiser in hand. Even with shotguns, these once-a-year bubbas take shots when they're unsure of their targets, drop the hammer on cows, sheep, horses, each other. Imagine that with a rifle bullet that goes 1 mile with lethal energy.

No thanks.

I'd MUCH rather see them lift the assinine pistol caliber in a rifle rule. That would be a great compromise. You could use lever guns in pistol calibers. There's no common sense to that rule. As it is, you can use a Thompson Contender with a 16" barrel in .44 mag, but attach a stock to it and it's not legal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I see your point, I think pistol caliber rifles would be a great comprimise. I think a county by county thing might be a good idea, or only private landowners with a certain amound of land.

ETA what got me thinking this was when I was sitting in my stand at dusk wondering if I could actually hit anything wit the irons on my 870 and thinking I would proably have more luck hitting something with my scoped crossbow.

...or maybe I need to just choke up the cash for a cantilever barrel and a scope
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah I see your point, I think pistol caliber rifles would be a great comprimise. I think a county by county thing might be a good idea, or only private landowners with a certain amound of land.

Yeah, county permissions would be better. Hell, some of southeastern ohio is hilly as can be....and not very populated. That would make sense, but few of our laws seem to make any sense.

At least we can varmint hunt with high-power....and because it's not as popular and stuffed into a frenzied week, it tends to be a safer activity. When was the last time you heard of a varmint hunter offing himself climbing a fence? Doesn't seem to happen.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
pistol caliber in a rifle im all for.. i have a lever action 357 thats begging for it..

BTW ohio laws say i can hunt squirles out of a tree with a 300 win mag...

if its not a deer, ohio dont care what u shoot at it..
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it should be allowed in certain counties.  At least limit it to a 30-30.  I see nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Ohio has done a good job of focusing on hunter saftey training requirements in the past decade. However still lacks any type of firearms or archery marksmanship training ( ZERO RANGE TIME ) get someone on a range and you can see what they are made of . Here in NorthWest Ohio it is very flat and we still shoot at woodchucks with everything from .22 shorts to .50 bmg no joke I have seen guys use a .50bmg on woodchucks.

I think it would be reasonable to hunt deer with highpowered rifles in all countys South of Columbous but before that ever happens I hope that the State steps up firearms training as part of the hunter saftey education. They are probably never going to have a qualification because as soon as someone who the state has qualified gets into trouble they would clame the state qualified them and the state could be liable. There are many who would benifet from some quality time on a range.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
As Swingset said, Northern Ohio is just too flat. If you had different rules for each county that would be too confusing. County lines arent defined at all, you see. Finally I dont trust most of the bubba hunters out there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Not just the "bubba" hunters, but there are thousands of hunters out at once. You never have a day or week in Ohio where you have thousands of hunters out shooting at woodchucks and such. Look at state parks and such. You can sit in one spot and count a few hunters. Also, there is just too many people in certain areas that it just makes it too dangerous to use hi power to hunt. But I do agree on the pistol cartridge lever guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]
It should be allowed when drinking while hunting is stopped and when people start using common sense... oh yeah, that'll never happen.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It should be allowed when drinking while hunting is stopped and when people start using common sense... oh yeah, that'll never happen.

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Why can't Ohio do what NY, MN, WI, and MI do and set up rifle restrictions on a county by county basis?

Deer hunting here SUCKS, compared to where I moved from (Kansas), BTW.  Love the wide open spaces.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As Swingset said, Northern Ohio is just too flat. If you had different rules for each county that would be too confusing. County lines arent defined at all, you see. Finally I dont trust most of the bubba hunters out there.

Well, New York, Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin hunters don't seem to have a problem handling the rifle restrictions on a per county basis.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Plus if you look at the deer harvest map, the highest numbers of deer seem to be in the southeastern and likewise more hilly counties. Those are also the counties with the highest bag limits and harvest numbers. If rifles were alowed to be used in those counties then it would draw more hunters to that area controling the population, and lessen pressure in the northwestern counties where the deer population seems to struggle a bit more.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, outside of the rifle part, what would we as a group of people need to do to make the rifle caliber rifles allowed for hunting. I think that would be a great thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
maybe a training class to become certified for using a rifle.       cost like 25 bucks or something, then those who really want it, can.

and the 'beer guys' wouldnt waste their money on a class when it costs as much as a case.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
If you dont know what county you are hunting in you are a BUBBA BEER HUNTER.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#18]
With the performance of modern in-line blackpowder rifles approaching that of some high power rifles I don't see that the argument for restriction holds up. my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#19]
If we look at it that way, lets all just go buy Savage muzzleloaders cause you can use smokeless rifle powder in them and have a range of 200 yards.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If we look at it that way, lets all just go buy Savage muzzleloaders cause you can use smokeless rifle powder in them and have a range of 200 yards.

+1

Some of the fixed barrel slug guns (Ithaca Deerslayer II, and some of the accurized slug guns) using high pwerformance saboted slugs like the Hornady SST and Remington Core Lokt Ultra are very close to becoming 200 yard guns.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What I was mostly getting at was how can they justify restricting centerfire rifles by saying they have too much range/power when some inline muzzleloaders (Which aren't prohibited) have the same performance level.

ETA: When they figure this out (knowing our govt.) they'll probably just restrict the muzzleloaders too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I totally agree on the pistol caliber rifles.   I bet Marlin and Winchester would be all for it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#23]
. i hunted in chillicothe on meade property and in wayne national forrestt this year. both places have hills and thick woods . i never saw deer past two hundred yards.i thnik shotguns have the advantage because of short range knockdown power , and they also handle real fast in close quarters. i also believe inline muzzle loaders  are a viable option for the ohio hunter that needs a longer range gun. i used a cva optima pro 50 caliber for muzzle loader season  and was impressed by its accuracy
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
. i hunted in chillicothe on meade property and in wayne national forrestt this year. both places have hills and thick woods . i never saw deer past two hundred yards.i thnik shotguns have the advantage because of short range knockdown power , and they also handle real fast in close quarters. i also believe inline muzzle loaders  are a viable option for the ohio hunter that needs a longer range gun. i used a cva optima pro 50 caliber for muzzle loader season  and was impressed by its accuracy

That's fine and dandy for YOU.

But others may want to hunt with rifles in land where bullets won't travel miles and go through ten houses.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But others may want to hunt with rifles in land where bullets won't travel miles and go through ten houses.

Whoa, is he talking about a 50 caliber muzzleloader or a 50 BMG? For a second when I was reading your reply I thought I might have accidently clicked on CNN.com.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:50:50 AM EDT
[#26]
To many idiots from the cities already come into our area shooting into houses,barns,etc. Several farmers in this area have even had cattle shot but city boys.   I have always heard it said there are 3 ways to let a man make a fool of himself, make him a cop, make him a boss, ot let him go deer hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I was mostly getting at was how can they justify restricting centerfire rifles by saying they have too much range/power when some inline muzzleloaders (Which aren't prohibited) have the same performance level.

ETA: When they figure this out (knowing our govt.) they'll probably just restrict the muzzleloaders too.

Here's the critical difference....a muzzleloader has 1 shot. A centerfire rifle is a quick repeater. Now, that may be splitting hairs, but think about the hunter's mindset. Will he "unload" on a shadowy figure that MIGHT be a deer if he's got 1 powerful shot from his muzzleloader? Maybe...but probably not. He'll make sure his target is a deer and he can hit it, and he can't follow that shot up with 2 more crappy shots as the deer runs.

With a 30.06, a half a case of beer in his gut and no brains, Bubba Walmart will take 3 shots at nothing, and hit my house for the 3rd time, except this time the projectiles are deadlier than a slow-moving slug.

That's my objection to centerfires.

As I said earlier, living in a place where you have to dig slugs out of your property, clean up beer cans from your woods, and take down stands from shitbrains who have no permission to be on your land gives you a whole different insight into what's best for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf are you talking about
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, lacking in reading comprehension?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#30]
THIS is exactley why the anti gunners have
Sportsmmen and women by the perverbial BALLS the type and caliber of firearm that one finds appropriate another finds excessive and unsportsman like . There are two reasons I dont hunt deer in Ohio.

1. LACK OF PROPER TRAINING . More training including range time should be required for the hunter saftey course and an advanced course should be given for deer gun and muzzle loader hunters.

2. Ohio dosent allow centerfire rifle Deer hunting. So because I like a particular type and or caliber of firearm I am discouraged from hunting in my home state.

Now why cant you get a grip and Get along. Ohio could do this It would just take some people with some initiative and balls go to the ODNR open house and take some friends all it takes is someone to make a little stink and with enough input from sportsmen these changes can be made after all sportsmen make the ODNR money .
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#31]
 I could see it broke down by counties. Up North here I honestly believe it's to flat. It's not the safety minded hunters I'd worry about, it's just some hunters look no further than the target their shooting at and the thought of them shooting flat shooting magums is a might scary.

I really am shy of using anything hotter than a .22-250 with 40gr. bullets Chuck hunting anymore. The amount of trespassers I see on farmers crop fields while Chuck hunting riding ATV's and dirt bikes or hunting is bad enough.

I'd say in another 10 years most of Ohio's private land will leased hunting. I've noticed this being done with Goose and Duck's at 3 farms I bowhunt now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
THIS is exactley why the anti gunners have
Sportsmmen and women by the perverbial BALLS the type and caliber of firearm that one finds appropriate another finds excessive and unsportsman like . There are two reasons I dont hunt deer in Ohio.

1. LACK OF PROPER TRAINING . More training including range time should be required for the hunter saftey course and an advanced course should be given for deer gun and muzzle loader hunters.

2. Ohio dosent allow centerfire rifle Deer hunting. So because I like a particular type and or caliber of firearm I am discouraged from hunting in my home state.

Now why cant you get a grip and Get along. Ohio could do this It would just take some people with some initiative and balls go to the ODNR open house and take some friends all it takes is someone to make a little stink and with enough input from sportsmen these changes can be made after all sportsmen make the ODNR money .

I am not from Ohio, but I concur with your observations and conclusions, particularly number 1.

I feel that "hunter safety education" without a rigorous course of live fire is a bullshit waste of time.  By rigorous I mean that it has to be difficult enough to require the demonstration of safe gun handling AND some basic marksmanship.  It should not be too much to ask of a hunter to place three slugs from a scoped shotgun into a 12" circle at 100 yards, or to place three bullets from a scoped CF rifle into a 12" circle at 200 yards from field positions.  If you cannot do that on demand, you should NOT be allowed in the woods and field with a deadly weapon that you cannot control.

Hunting, unlike firearms ownership, is not a right in Ohio.  And even if it were, it carries the burden of responsibility.

We have a LOT to learn about hunter training from Europe in general, and Germany in particular.  It is amazing to me that in Germany, a society that restricts gun ownership to a far higher degree, and is much more socially liberal, hunters are held in very high regard and are seen as true stewards of the land by the general population and even most environmental groups.  Quite the opposite from the US.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are the one without reading comprehension  re read my post  and understand what iwrote. douchebag
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are the one without reading comprehension  re read my post  and understand what iwrote. douchebag

I understood exactly what you said, you infantile twerp.  Not everybody wants to hunt with muzzleloaders or shotguns, and there is plenty of land in Ohio where centerfire rifles are perfectly safe to use.

But then I see you had a problem understanding my point, given your third grade level of writing skill.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understood exactly what you said, you infantile twerp.  Not everybody wants to hunt with muzzleloaders or shotguns, and there is plenty of land in Ohio where centerfire rifles are perfectly safe to use.

But then I see you had a problem understanding my point, given your third grade level of writing skill.

did your mommy write that for you douchebag
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

did your mommy write that for you douchebag

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#37]
You guys did a good job turning a informative post like this into a pissin match.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#38]
+1   bryan
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You guys did a good job turning a informative post like this into a pissin match.

+1 I hoped this was going to be a thread where we could discuss the issues of the idea like mature adults.

On a side note and to get this thread back on track, what if we alowed CHL holders to use rifles? The only issue I see is a bunch of bubba beer hunters running to get there CHL just to use thier 30-06. On the other hand I think the average bubba is just too lazy. CHL have to know how to shoot, and 99.9% are fine mature upstanding citzens. Maybe make a similar program to CHL get a permit to use a centerfire rifle?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
With a 30.06, a half a case of beer in his gut and no brains, Bubba Walmart will take 3 shots at nothing, and hit my house for the 3rd time, except this time the projectiles are deadlier than a slow-moving slug.

That's my objection to centerfires.

As I said earlier, living in a place where you have to dig slugs out of your property, clean up beer cans from your woods, and take down stands from shitbrains who have no permission to be on your land gives you a whole different insight into what's best for hunting.

Sounds like we need to start a different kind of  hunting on your property as soon as possible just not for deer.  How about an annual Bubba Walmart Season on your property.  I'm up for it.

I'm sorry that isn't very mature either.  I am just trying to add a little humor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm sorry that isn't very mature either.  I am just trying to add a little humor.

At least you didn't call me a douchebag!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#43]
With the humor done I will weigh in on the subject.  I don't think Rifles in Ohio are a good idea.  I fear fellow hunters to never again hunt during gun season in Hocking County anymore.  While I love the area and the terrain I just think rifles even there would be a bad idea.  I have been sitting in the woods at 5:00 a.m. (have to get there that early to get a spot) and heard people shooting not far away.  I have seen people shoot accross roads while cars are coming down them.  Even though those people can do that with muzzle loaders, shotguns and even bows. Rifle bullets travel farther which just increases the chance of an accident.

While I would love to do so since I feel I am a responsible hunter.  I am not the one I am worried about.  It is the hunter over the next hill or two.

I also would not pay another tax to shoot a different weapon.  Taxes suck.  My $.02.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats so true...dont call that man a douchebag. Hes a good man, but not a douchebag :)

And I agree with ya there OD45. Thats a good point you make of with people shootin before you can as well as shooting over roads with passing cars.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
With the humor done I will weigh in on the subject.  I don't think Rifles in Ohio are a good idea.  I fear fellow hunters to never again hunt during gun season in Hocking County anymore.  While I love the area and the terrain I just think rifles even there would be a bad idea.  I have been sitting in the woods at 5:00 a.m. (have to get there that early to get a spot) and heard people shooting not far away.  I have seen people shoot accross roads while cars are coming down them.  Even though those people can do that with muzzle loaders, shotguns and even bows. Rifle bullets travel farther which just increases the chance of an accident.

While I would love to do so since I feel I am a responsible hunter.  I am not the one I am worried about.  It is the hunter over the next hill or two.

I also would not pay another tax to shoot a different weapon.  Taxes suck.  My $.02.

So let me see if I understand your position.

1) You are a responsible hunter

2) You feel most others are not

3) You have seen unsafe behavior around you while hunting

4) You feel the answer to that is to leave the status quo alone

5) You do not see how tightening the requirements to get a license, like having to show some skill with firearms, will help

Is that about right?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Here's something else I have not seen mentioned.

The firearms season is TOO DAMNED SHORT.

Why is that a problem you might ask?

A short season puts tremendous pressure on hunters to "get their deer".  That pressure drives people to shoot at shadows, shoot at movement, shoot at animals when the backstop is questionable or non-existent, shoot across roads, etc. etc. etc.

A short season obviously means more people in the woods per day.  Simple math there.

I am surprised more hunters don't die during those five to seven days.

Several southers states have firearms seasons that are two and a half months long.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

A short season puts tremendous pressure on hunters to "get their deer".  That pressure drives people to shoot at shadows, shoot at movement, shoot at animals when the backstop is questionable or non-existent, shoot across roads, etc. etc. etc.

A short season obviously means more people in the woods per day.  Simple math there.

Several southers states have firearms seasons that are two and a half months long.

+1 douchebag
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 douchebag

Why don't you go fuck yourself?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#49]
If it lasted for 2 and a half months we wouldnt have any deer left. Per square mile of woods we have more hunters than they do. Thats just my opinion tho. If I am wrong on that please correct me in a non douchebag way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#50]
maybe keep the bag limit  lower . how much i dont know .  it already seems low enough to me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top