Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 9:36:43 AM EDT
I just picked up a Benchmade mini-reflex 2550 at the gun show for a preatty decent deal ($125). Its a really nice knife, but after I bought it I was wondering of the legality of carrying it. It has a 3.5 inch blade and opens with a push button.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Cant legally carry it unless you are L E officer or active military I believe..You can own it, But it is notl legal to carry unless you are one of the above. I have a couple I play with around the house but dont carry them around...Well maybe sometimes LOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Kershaw speed safe that I carry regularly. Because of the fact that it uses a torsion bar and in is not push button operated it is suposedly legal. I bought it at Target world and it would be against the law for them to sell an automatic knife to civilians, so ill take it its legal.

Because of the fact that the benchmade is a true automatic, I would probably shy away from carrying it on an every day basis. But if your looking for an alternitive the Kershaw is as fast any any automatic I have ever handled.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
LEO, military, and fire dept and rescue personal are allowed to legally carry Auto knives.

but  for all others it is "illegal" ... dont think that rule is really enforced much, unless you use it in some criminal activity...

I carry a Benchmade auto at work , an at the fire dept. But  I  prefer the Kershaw speedsafe knife over it... the kershaw is just a touch quicker, an not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper! $59 VS $179 for the benchmade.

COLT!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
hey bud, I carried an auto for awhile. 9050SBT I believe it was. I liked it, but then I realized real quick that I could deploy the blade on my sog flash II A HELL OF alot faster than my benchmade. Cool factor less, true...
but relibality and speed, took the way of the sog..
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
An Officer looked at one of mine once and told me to make sure he didn't see me put it in my pocket or he would have to charge me with carrying a concealed weapon.

I just carried it in my hand.

Dan
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
An Officer looked at one of mine once and told me to make sure he didn't see me put it in my pocket or he would have to charge me with carrying a concealed weapon.

I just carried it in my hand.

Dan

Its got a pocket clip which makes it not concealed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#7]
ORC 2923.20 Restricts the manufacture and sale of automatic knives. I have not seen anything in the ORC that sepecifically restricts the ownership or carrying of automatic knives. Ballistic knives are defined as dangerous ordanace[2923.11(J)] and are restricted. Ohio's definintion of Deadly Weapon[2923.11(A)] is poorly defined and can almost include anything. Botton line, IMHO, an automatic knife is no different that any other knife for carrying or ownership purposes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The whole restriction on auto knives is a joke.  

I carry a Waved Emerson HD-7 and I can pull it from my pocket and deploy it faster than an auto-opner.

Actually, any waved (completely civillian lega)l knife will open faster since the blade is basically being opened as you pull it from your pocket.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
So, I see this everywhere that auto knifes are not legal for Ohio citizens. What is the truth behind this? Would I be breaking the law if I owned one? I have been wanting one for a while.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard all kinds of stories about autos. I'm a knife fan and collector. Still most can't give a good answer. Even if you ask an LEO. From what I understand it's OK to own one. You aren't supposed to be able to buy one or carry one. I guess you'd have to move here with it.
Here's a good place to ask. Enough knife nuts there that you should get some help.

Knife laws forum
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top