Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 9:41:44 PM EDT
I need to get a cleaning kit for my bushy m4a3.  Can you guys suggest a good kit and a place that has a good price on them.

I remember reading a long while back that a lot of people used Dewey Rods.  There was a guy on here from Georgia Precision that use to sell all kinds of cleaning stuff but his site is no longer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I picked the basic in the buttstock cleaning kit for $9 at the goodman show. You can get a deluxe kit at walmart for $19
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Otis kit,I like it so much I bought a dozen of them off the EE and sent them to my sons' Marine squad in Iraq,the guys loved them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a huge mother honkin kit from walmart. Nice and cheap with a decent aluminum case. The rods are brass though but my barrels are mostly chrome lined. If they were made out of steel Id use them too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get you an "Outers" 22 set at Wal-Mart or where ever.   I have  what left of the rod set that fit the buttstock, an Outers and old Sears 22 kits, only problem is 2 of the 3 share the same thread for the brush, so I have to match the brush thread to the rod I use.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
While any decent kit will work, a Dewey rod is really worth the $30 you'll spend on it. It's extremely strong, and allows you to use a tight fitting brush/jag without flexing and rubbing the barrel, and it spins freely to let the patch work into the grooves.

I go cheap on everything else - patches, cleaning solvent (make my own), but I don't skimp on the rods....once you use a Dewey you'll wonder why you ever fucked around with anything else, and I'm a cheap bastard to take my word on it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy the buttstock kit just for the chamber brush and the rod that will fit it. (most of the chamber brushes are a funky thread)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a collapseable stock.

Also, which Dewey rod should i get.  I was looking on Brownells and they have a bunch of different lengths and material of what they are made of
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a collapseable stock.

Also, which Dewey rod should i get.  I was looking on Brownells and they have a bunch of different lengths and material of what they are made of

+2 on the Dewey.  I've got a model 22c-44" rod that works just fine on my 24" upper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Same here, but I still picked up the mil rod for the chamber brush.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top