Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 8/18/2005 1:25:39 AM EDT
Took the boat up to the lake fishing today. The boat did terriffic!  After waming her up I ran her full bore all the way to Sandusky/Cedar Point and back to Catawba Island.

The fish didn't cooperate though! We caught  a freshwater Drum, 4 perch, a Gobi, and about 20 little stripped Bass!  I got tired of throwing them back! We had a good day though!

I think I have a name for the boat, "Murphy's Law!" Although the boat is running like a champ, I lost a wheel off the trailer tonight! The trailer started making noise and jumping around so I pulled over and found that the back left wheel was just hanging on by one bolt. So we took one bolt out of a couple of other wheels and fixed it. We started down the road and it started acting up again so I slowed down and it stopped.  When I pulled over a few miles on down the road to check it, it was gone and the other tire had a groove cut into it by a protruding bolt.  We took the bolt out of the trailer and literally babied it home at 10-20 mph. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to make it home!  Tomorrows project is to detail the other trailer and switch out the trailers and tear into the outdrive and make sure everything is alright!
But first, sleep!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Ahh Feel Your Pain!

I had a 26' brand new just-picking-it-up Boston Whaler I was towing from Cleveland to Toledo...  I was in rush hour traffic on I-90 in Rocky River when I saw one of my left trailer tires go rolling past me!!!!     talk about pucker factor 10!  Thank god for dual axel trailers.  

Moral of that story for me, NEVER trust the company you buy the $100k + boat from to properly rig and prep your outfit.  ALWAYS check your trailer tires and setup yourself.  Rookie mistake.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool. my girlfriends parents live up at a Marblehead/Port Clinton.  They have a dock and house in South Bass Harbor.  We were up there two weekends ago to do perch fishing.  Caught about 150 perch and I limited at 30 keep-able.

During Memorial day weekend we went for Walleye...talk about a crapful day.  I am standing there in line at the Fish cleaner with four about 14" long while the guy behind me had a small wheel barrel full of monsters.

*sigh*

I'll be up there again Labor Day weekend.

I've been considering going up there to one of the Islands during duck season.  I hear hunting bird up there is great.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like one thing after another sometimes. At least the trailer should be an easy fix.

Them drums make good fixins...them and carp. Fry em up with some bacon and cabbage and some cornbread to go with it. Yeeeehaaaaww I can almost smell it!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Seems like one thing after another sometimes. At least the trailer should be an easy fix.

Them drums make good fixins...them and carp. Fry em up with some bacon and cabbage and some cornbread to go with it. Yeeeehaaaaww I can almost smell it!

Ya shoulda been there! Last night the water was smooth as glass in the west harbor. At least I'm learning how to deal with all the piddly BS!  What's that saying?  "That which does not kill you only makes you stronger!"  (Hell, I'm so strong now, I must reek!)

Hessian-1(aka Cap'n Dave)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think I have a name for the boat, "Murphy's Law!"

Cap'n Dave,
I've had two boats. Neither of them great, expensive, or anything special.

I  also considered the name "Murphy's Law" for the first one. Long story. Very similar to yours.
The second one would have been named "All I got from the divorce settlement was this old boat",
but I sold it gave it away, thus saving my marriage.

I'm planning on a third one someday soon, and have the very best of intentions of keeping it very, very simple, rugged, affordable, and reliable.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure you off them damn Goby!

www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishing/nuisance/goby.htm

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Oh it's dead now. I was going to study it a while in a tank at home but the areator in my makeshift livewell(Cooler with 12 volt areator) ran the battery down sometime yesterday morning and when I went to get it it "wuz graveyard ded!" Those things hit hard for their size! I thought I had a "fish on" till I reeled it in and saw a 4 inch Goby!

Cap'n Dave
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Oh it's dead now. I was going to study it a while in a tank at home but the areator in my makeshift livewell(Cooler with 12 volt areator) ran the battery down sometime yesterday morning and when I went to get it it "wuz graveyard ded!" Those things hit hard for their size! I thought I had a "fish on" till I reeled it in and saw a 4 inch Goby!

Cap'n Dave

edited to add:  I tuned up the engine, and fiddled with it some today. It's running much smoother especially at the higher rpm range.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes they can - just be warned - if you get stopped by a DNR with a live one it's a big no-no.  I'll admit I don't do the freeze and call but the heads get crushed by the utility pliers.  The gulls gotta have something to eat.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top