Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 8/14/2005 6:12:18 AM EDT
Got a call from Ohio Highway Patrol solicitor asking for donations. Got the standard lines of ".....it's for the children."  LOL!  I politely advised the caller to not call back again and that I do not wish to support anything the OHP is involved with since the OHP has no respect for the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bare arms.

Folks, there are plenty of other organizations that do wonderful things for children and they have my support.  OHP can just kiss my ass.  While I appreciate most of the troopers who try to serve the public, the leadership of the OHP can just drop dead.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it wasn't "the Ohio Troopers Coalition?" Somethine about paying for teddy bears to give to children at accident scenes?

I use to work for the organization soliciting funds when I was going through school. I made good money but it was easy to get burned out.
FWIW they do raise money for good causes, but the vast majority of the funds go to "operating expenses" and soliciters salaries.  I personally knew the owners of the company, Civic Development Group out of New Jersey.

It was just another job to me.  When "cold calling" you experience a lot of "rejection."  I didn't take the rejection personal.  I was good at what I did.  There were "callers"/solicitors and "closers."  I was a "closer."  It was the closers job to ensure that the "donor" felt good about his "pledge."  It didn't make much sense if the "donor" pledged $100 if he/she never sent it in!  I had a good "collection rate."  Sometimes if the "donor" was waviering on the amount I would "lower" their amount to solidify the "sale."  I never lied or misrepresented myself or the company.  I figured there are "lots of fish in the sea" so I wasn't going to compromise my character by lying.

If you don't want to be called:  1. never contribute(that gets you on a list for other "chairities," and 2.  Ask politely but firmly that your name be removed from their lists.  You may continue to receive phone calls for a while because once you give, they have all your information and they know you will give, your name is going on a lot of lists!  Do not waiver, the soliciters are trained to "manage" the conversation and collect the maximum amount of  money.

Just remember, the person on the other end is just like you, trying to make a living.  Believe it or not, if you aren't going to contribute, they don't want to call you and waste their time any more than you want to be called!

So be polite and firm and if the solictor is in anyway abusive(they don't last long in this business)just ask to speak to a supervisor and ask that your name & number be removed from their data base.  I hope this helps ease some of the "pain" associated with "telephone soliciters."

Hessian-1(Would you like to help at the "silver level" or would you like to really make a difference and go for the "Gold!".........)out!  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for Screw the OSHP and telemarketers.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I made those calls while at OSU in93 or 94.  We called for the Ohio Troopers Coalition, even.  It was a good paying job, and I did well.  When I quit (about 6 weeks maybe) they offered me almost double (maybe $12-15/hour?) because I sold a lot.  It was the most tedious job ever.  But the two guys running the place were rolling in $$$.  They were pretty OK guys and tried to keep it interesting by doing things like handing out cash to the next seller, or having putting contests every time you sold, for a $20, etc...  I stayed as long as I could stand it.

BTW, as Hessian said, the peopleyou are talking to are in no way affiliated with the OHP.  They are just a bunch of people with telephones in an office somewhere.  It is very unlikely your comments would ever get to anyone and make a difference.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
H-1 and LS, I specifically asked the guy if it was for the OHP and was told "yes". If they are actually for OTC, then, laws are broken. I realized that even if it was actually OHP it was not an actual trooper calling on the other end of the line. It is almost always some low paid soul on the other end who doesn't give a rates ass about much else other than meeting the quota. He was polite and persistent which was his job to be.  I, in turn, was polite and asked him to take a break from the script and let me save him some time by getting straight to the end- which was "take me off the list" and "no, you are not getting my money over the phone."

I have more respect for the solicitor than the road nazis. Again, I have nothing against individual troopers. They have nothing to do with turning the OSHP into a political statement instead of an outfit serving the public. However, don't expect me to use words such as wonderful or great if you tell me that you are a trooper or are working for the OSHP.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh oh, all this bad talk about the King's Revenue Agents will get you in big trouble, young man.

Now, you're going to be on the "list", and your dog won't even be safe.

If I were you, I'd wear my donut-scented underwear and stay off the King's road's.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
H-1 and LS, I specifically asked the guy if it was for the OHP and was told "yes". If they are actually for OTC, then, laws are broken. I realized that even if it was actually OHP it was not an actual trooper calling on the other end of the line. It is almost always some low paid soul on the other end who doesn't give a rates ass about much else other than meeting the quota. He was polite and persistent which was his job to be.  I, in turn, was polite and asked him to take a break from the script and let me save him some time by getting straight to the end- which was "take me off the list" and "no, you are not getting my money over the phone."

I have more respect for the solicitor than the road nazis. Again, I have nothing against individual troopers. They have nothing to do with turning the OSHP into a political statement instead of an outfit serving the public. However, don't expect me to use words such as wonderful or great if you tell me that you are a trooper or are working for the OSHP.

Did you ask how much goes to OHP?  In our case, I think it was 14%.  86% went to the phone calling company.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did you ask how much goes to OHP?  In our case, I think it was 14%.  86% went to the phone calling company.

Nop, as soon as it was confirmed to be a solicitor for the OHP, the game was over.  The high cost of "administrative fees" is the main reason I almost never make donations over the phone. Not especially to road nazis or FOP of Ohio or OACP. These 3 organizations have no interest in upholding the Constitution.  At least, not the sections they do not care for.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Man , don't you like those little stickers you can put in your back window!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, what he said. Damn road Nazi's!  

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I happen to respect our fine men and women working Ohios highways. Its a tough job that is greatly underappreciated and I for one am growing tired of the jabs that go on here.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Ohio would be better served without the OSHP who's authority exists only on state and federal routes/highways.  Its leadership does not answer directly to the voters but to a political entity of governorship.  Our state would be better served by diverting the funds to the local Sheriffs' departments where voters have more control and where other fine men and women are performing a tougher duty with much less resources than what OSHP gets on an annual basis.

It’s no surprise that Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association is the only law enforcement organization that supports the CCW.  The Sheriffs have voters to answer to.  The OSHP, Fraternal Order of Police, and Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police do not.

No one's bashing the road nazi organization's individual troopers but these are the facts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I prefer to think of you fellows as armed tax collection agents.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top