Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 8/8/2005 7:31:16 AM EDT
i attend john carroll university in cleveland. we have a firearms policy online here

the main statement of importance is that "The above prohibition applies, regardless of whether the owner has a valid state permit to carry the firearm."

at first i thought this was ok because it is a private university.  however, after going through some of the ohio code i came upon this

section 2923.126 B
the important area:  

"A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;

now to me this seems contradictory to the university policy.  this law does not say "unless universities want to make a stricter policy"

this fact is included with #6 (See below)

(6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;  

which means these places have the option to follow a different route if they so choose.

Now i just went and talked to the head of our campus security, and he said that the JCU policy is stricter than state law (obviously!) and thats that.  he said its because i'm a student, and it could be different if i was coming to the university as a visitor, etc.

i really didnt like his argument, because i still dont see any law where it states a university (even private) can make a stricter law

in a thread i made about this awhile ago i got 1 response which stated:  "Here in Michigan, private colleges/universities can ban firearms since they are private property owners. Public colleges/universities is another can of worms. We had a few that decided the whole campus was a "classroom" and thus instituted a ban on firearms. Our law said firearms were not to be carried in classrooms or dorms, so techincally parking lots were ok. Just my $.02 from my experiences here in Michigan."

but then again, our #5 says 'owned or leased' which would cover that too!

does anyone know any more about this?  more importantly, is there a specific person/office i should email for the ohio gov't that deals with this type of question.

i want to get my CCW but its pointless if the only time i can have it on me is on breaks when i'm at home (1.5 months/year) - i stay up here in the summer on campus housing....

help please, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#1]
ok i read a little farther and came across this:  if someone can translate it for me please do, i read it about 6 times and i'm still not sure if it means they can or cannot restrict the parking lot thing at a private university

(C) (1)  Nothing in this section shall negate or restrict a rule, policy, or practice of a private employer that is not a private college, university, or other institution of higher education concerning or prohibiting the presence of firearms on the private employer's premises or property, including motor vehicles owned by the private employer. Nothing in this section shall require a private employer of that nature to adopt a rule, policy, or practice concerning or prohibiting the presence of firearms on the private employer's premises or property, including motor vehicles owned by the private employer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My opinion would be that since it is private they can institute whatever they want, and if you go against it, at a minimum, you are probably tresspassing.  

Similary,  if you came to my house in a red hat, I could ask you to leave since I don't like red hats.  If you refuse, then you are tresspassing.  That's the way private property works...

Dan
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
There is University Policy and then there is the Ohio Revised Code.   Violating University policy gets you thrown out of school,  violating ORC gets you thrown in jail.   It really doesn't matter what the University policy is,  because ultimately you have to follow the ORC.   The school can say "its our policy to let permit holders carry" but you still couldn't carry due to the law.  

Don't carry at school and you have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is University Policy and then there is the Ohio Revised Code.   Violating University policy gets you thrown out of school,  violating ORC gets you thrown in jail.   It really doesn't matter what the University policy is,  because ultimately you have to follow the ORC.   The school can say "its our policy to let permit holders carry" but you still couldn't carry due to the law.  

Don't carry at school and you have nothing to worry about.

i wasnt going to carry.  i wanted it in my [locked] car so i could carry when i have to drive through part of the ghetto of cleveland.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you put yourself into situations where you might be patted down?  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top