Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 8/5/2005 4:26:27 PM EDT
I'm an NRA certified instructor for the Basic Pistol course, and I'm running a free class on August 11 and 12 in Twinsburg, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Akron). This class fulfills the requirements for obtaining a concealed handgun license in Ohio. The law requires the class consist of 10 hours of class time and 2 hours of range time, so the class will meet on Aug 11 and 12 from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM and then in small groups for 2 hours of range time over the following weekend or two. I try hard to schedule the range times at mutually convenient times and to keep the groups at the range to 2-3 students.

The Basic Pistol course concentrates on safety, principles of operation, and rudimentary marksmanship. There isn't time for much elaboration of pistol usage that is specific to self-defense. Specific self-defense training is usually covered in more advanced courses. The goal of the basic pistol course is more prevention of firearms-related accidents than winning gunfights. Of course, the class does empower students to follow the first rule of gunfights (bring a gun).

Class size is limited to 10 students, so try and email soon if you would like to attend, and I'll reserve your spot and let you know the precise location in Twinsburg.

Michael Courtney

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
A free class is too good to be true.  The high cost of entry is what's kept me from persuing CCW.  And Twinsburg is close by (Sagamore Hills here).  Michael, what do you get out of it?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Offering the course for free is just another expression of my belief in the importance of RKBA.

I believe that the number of armed citizens and CHL holders is important to maintaining our rights.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I believe that the number of armed citizens and CHL holders is important to maintaining our rights.

I couldn't agree more.  You are providing a great service to the community!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I already have my CCW but kudos to you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1,000

Do you yourself a favor and set out a tip jar, for donations. I would, if I were taking your course, gladly drop in some $$ to show my appreciation!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately, I'm working in the Detroit area (I just moved) during those dates.
Just wondering, does one have to be 21 to take the courses qualifying them for their CCW?  I've got another 11 months, but if possible, I'd prefer to get my training part over before I turn 21.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000

Do you yourself a favor and set out a tip jar, for donations. I would, if I were taking your course, gladly drop in some $$ to show my appreciation!

+1

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, I'm working in the Detroit area (I just moved) during those dates.
Just wondering, does one have to be 21 to take the courses qualifying them for their CCW?  I've got another 11 months, but if possible, I'd prefer to get my training part over before I turn 21.

My understanding is that one only needs to take the course within 6 years of obtaining a CHL.  So in principle, one could be 15 when he takes the course.  I have taught the course to folks under 21, but I would require parental permission for anyone under 18.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000

+ Another.  Bravo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
e-mail sent.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
man you are good to go. If it wasnt already the 11th and i wasint all the way in springtucky (springfield) i would have taken it and gladly droped you some cash for being a great guy. Lmk if you are having another after this month and ill see about comming up.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top