Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:51:03 AM EDT
I know for us folk in the northern part of the state more than 30 in AR is a no-no.
What about a Glock with a 33 rounder? Think of adding a Glock to the stable and have seen these 33 mags.

THANKS
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Here we go again.  This was just covered here recently.  

Here it is from the Ohio Revised Code

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

So, your Glock would become an "automatic firearm" with a mag of more than thirty-one cartridges.
In Ohio, "automatic firearms" are illegal unless they are NFA registered.

Now, unless you plan to boost a ride with your high cap gat, you're probably not going to get into any trouble.  This is a stupid law that is only used when you are being charged with another crime.
For now, at least.  In ten years, they may patrol the ranges looking for violators, who knows?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it possible to post a link to all the laws for Ohio?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

So, your Glock would become an "automatic firearm" with a mag of more than thirty-one cartridges.

Now, unless you plan to boost a ride with your high cap gat, you're probably not going to get into any trouble.  This is a stupid law that is only used when you are being charged with another crime.
For now, at least.  In ten years, they may patrol the ranges looking for violators, who knows?

Thanks for the reply..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it possible to post a link to all the laws for Ohio?

onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

How's that?  See if that works.  Go to crimes, then weapons control.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a tacked thread with ORC link and discussion would be good. This question gets asked alot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
From ATF's big Purple Book on State by State Gun laws.

www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/25thedition/ohio.pdf Need Adobe to view.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
So...if I was to buy a Beta Mag for my AR15 and a drum for my AK...how many of y'all would rat me out

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So...if I was to buy a Beta Mag for my AR15 and a drum for my AK...how many of y'all would rat me out

Id be the first one to call the ABC's on you
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I might "inspect" you weapons next time. Just kidding. I've never even heard a rumor of someone getting busted for this before. I also beleive that this law is a stepping stone to trampling all over our rights. (Each one justifies the next)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
By the way, I also think that a sticky in all the local forums covering state laws would be a great idea. Things like mag. cap., ccw, f.a., supr., s.b.r/s., trans..
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If taken by the letter of the law, and I did read the actual code, this would mean any detachable magazine fed fire arm or any belt fed would be against the law.  I understand that this has been rehashed here before but I've been busy so sorry in advance and I did do a search.  

Last year our (Warren County) Prosecuter wrote an article about the assaust weapons ban ending.  In this she (Rachel Hutzel) said that any magazine over thirty rounds was illegal.  At the time I just rejected that as rediculas and forgot about it until now.  I have some magazines over thirty and don't like the idea of having anything ilegal, these mags don't get used anyway because they are too big, I just like to have them.  

My question is are there any OH lawyers here that can give an opinion on this???  

or

any cases that I can look up???     Thanks Joe

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If taken by the letter of the law, and I did read the actual code, this would mean any detachable magazine fed fire arm <...> would be against the law.

How do you figure that?  No firearms that are mag fed and have mags of less than 30 round capacity?
By the way, if you only put 30 in your beta, you have not "specially adapted" it to be an "automatic weapon."  
Scott
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]

NOT TRUE!   The mag will still have the capability to hold more than 31 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Having a gun with a mag with more than 31 rounds may be an "automatic firearm" under the law, but has ANYBODY found any section of ORC that says there is a penalty for having an "automatic firearm"?  From what I recall, it isn't a crime, but it is a sentence enhancement if you commit some other crime using the gun.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Having a gun with a mag with more than 31 rounds may be an "automatic firearm" under the law, but has ANYBODY found any section of ORC that says there is a penalty for having an "automatic firearm"?  From what I recall, it isn't a crime, but it is a sentence enhancement if you commit some other crime using the gun.  

I had it sequenced out here previously as to the issue in regards to the exemption to the mag capacity if the firearm was registered in the NFA...

Start at the begining of the chapter.. Automatic Firearm is "Dangerous Ordnance", and then carry on to the Dangerous Ordnance possession/exemptions  section a few paragraph down.  

2923.17. Unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance; illegally manufacturing or processing explosives.

(A)  No person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any dangerous ordnance.  

(D)  Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, a felony of the fifth degree.    

(C)  Division (A) of this section does not apply to:

(5) Owners of dangerous ordnance registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record pursuant to the act of October 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1229, 26 U.S.C. 5841, and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof, and regulations issued thereunder.    

Just my take on the situation, for the most part, I should qualify for exemption.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
NFA registered items are exempt from the magazine law.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my take and it is just that not legal advice.  The law says any firearm CAPABLE of firing more than 31 rounds in a row with out reloading.  If you load 30 rounds into your beta mag then inset it in a firearm the firearm is NOT CAPABLE of firing more rounds than 31 even though the beta mag will hold more than that.  Even if you have a fully loaded beta mag so long as it is not inserted in a firearm you are OK.  

If the law read POSSIBE instead of CAPABLE we would have all kids of problems, but it doesn’t.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Now, if you insert an adaptor into a semi automatic firearm with a capacity of greater than 30 rounds, not including the one it is already capable of firing, then you have made it a machine gun under the law.

But if it doesn't have 30 rounds, it is not capable of firing 31 rounds.  It would have to be un-adapted and re-adapted.. that's the logic behind my comment.

But I ain't no lawyer...

Stupid law anyway.  Let me hold my breath and hope it gets changed.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

NOT TRUE!   The mag will still have the capability to hold more than 31 rounds.

A belt has the capability to be any length too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]
We just discussed this in depth over at 1919a4.com a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that someone found that there were several Ohio court decisions that say that you only get in trouble with this law if the 32 round or more belt, mag, or drum is actually in the gun when you are seen/arrested by the cops. If you just have a loaded mag, drum, or belt laying around, the situation doesn't legally make your semi-automatic firearm an automatic weapon under state law.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Can I ask the dumb question as to why on earth would anyone need a 33 round Glock mag?

I can understand 15 but 33????????????

I use 10 round mags in my XD 40  If I can not hit the target with those 20 rounds I would probably just throw the thing and hope for the best.

Trying to be humorus  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
....why on earth would anyone need.... ?

This is something you never say about anything gun related
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Can I ask the dumb question as to why on earth would anyone need a 33 round Glock mag?

I can understand 15 but 33????????????

I use 10 round mags in my XD 40  If I can not hit the target with those 20 rounds I would probably just throw the thing and hope for the best.

Trying to be humorus  

Silly Rabbit, 15 rounds are for sissy's, how's about twin 33 rounders in about 3 seconds?
Full Auto Glocks

Scott
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#27]
JohnnyMcEldoo

Good point I retract my previous statement hy
I am still trying to figure out if my SKS is compliant or not gheez!

Silly Rabbit, 15 rounds are for sissy's, how's about twin 33 rounders in about 3 seconds?
Full Auto Glocks

Scott

Neat video!!!  but why not buy an Uzi?  That looks like it could get very expensive!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Scott

Neat video!!!  but why not buy an Uzi?  That looks like it could get very expensive!!!!!!!

I had a full size Uzi, to slow, I still have a Mini Uzi, one of my favorite subguns.

You want to see expensive check out all the lead flying in this next video, was fun to shoot though.

Kill The Car

Scott
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top