Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2005 5:25:15 AM EDT
Just got done cleaning up flood damage from January and will be starting on the new rifle range (going from 100 yards to 200 yards).

I figure I would celebrate by letting all you Tri-Staters know that I plan on having a shoot in the last weekend of April...Saturday and Sunday.  Shoot on Saturday afternoon with a camp out that evening then some shooting on Sunday.

There are 2 ranges, a pistol/carbine and a rifle.  I also have space and a thrower for anyone that wants to shoot clay.

This is simply a heads up.  More information will follow in this thread.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask them in forum or contact me privately at [email protected].

My private range in located near Elizabethtown on Route 50 in North Bend, OH.

Cheers!

Richard
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like alot of fun. Count me in if nothing comes up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I can, I think I can...

I sure hope to be there.  I'm sure I'll be able to spend some time if not the whole time.  
Thanks for the invitation!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll mark my calendar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If I don't have anything going on, I might make the trip down too. Looks like a neat range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like fun, I might be able to come on saturday. Would love to meet some of the local ARFCOMER's
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Put me in as there.  Any shoot within 30 minutes of the weekend house has to be visited
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I might get the details out tonight.  Right now I just wanted to share pics of the new work I did on the range the last two weeks.

http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6446.jpg
Trimmed back the bushes on the road down to the camp site and range...if your breaks go out, you are in the Miami River.

http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6451.jpg
Newly cut and cleared trail and backstop in the carbine/pistol area.

http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6453.jpg
Same area but looking backwards towards the entrance of this range.

Two shots of two backstops with target posts sunk and gravel bed down.
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6508.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6509.jpg
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking good!  

What you need is some nice portable steel stands!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Hehehe...

Those will be used....elsewhere...

Are those stands powder coated or just spray painted?  Just curious.  I dropped one with little to show for the impact.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this open to any tristate arfer? I'm fairly new to this site and have built my first ar this spring. It's never been fired! I would enjoy meeting some of the locals. If I can clear it with work I'ld love to join you. Can you email me directions, schedule of events, what is and is not welcome? Thanks a bunch-Mark

P.S. I'm new to ARs, not to shooting! No safety issues here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Event Information:

Date: Saturday April 30 and Sunday May 1
Time: Starts Saturday at 1 PM and Ends 5 PM on Sunday
Location: Southwest Ohio, Hamilton County, Northbend, at the intersection of Miamiview Road and Lawrenceberg Rd.

Map Quest Location to link from you location.  Please not that because there is no real address of this site the ate star is NOT the location, but directly across from the intersection of Nebo Rd. and Lawrenceburg Rd.  The entrance will be marked with "Danger Firearms Do not Enter" signs.  These signs are the people NOT invited. :)  You of course may enter.

There will be three range areas.

1) Rifle up to 200 yards
2) Shotgun and Skeet on the Miami River
3) Pistol/Carbine/NFA/Bumpfire

A fourth area will be designated on Sunday in our gravel pit for .50 BMG rifles and anyone that wants to shoot 600 yards for an hour or two.  (They are still mining the pit and while my family owns the property, the gravel company controls the legalities of the pit while they are still mining).  If they are mining that day, we will not be using it.  I will be talking to them next week to see of they plan on working the pit during that Sunday.

I am some of my friends will be camping.  Everyone that comes is welcome to do so, Saturday night.  We will probably be getting brunch at the Round Table in Cleves...a nice family run greasy spoon type place whjere the locals arguing about the weather.

I'll have water down there and a grill and will be cooking sausage and chili for anyone that RSVPs for the camp out.  If you do not, you are on your own and need to bring food.

Beer is allowed AFTER all shooting is done.  If you decide to quit shooting early and have a cold one please do not go back to the line.

The rifle range will have a 10x20' over head cover.  I have a couple of extra chairs but everyone should bring one if they can.  I hope to have either an outhouse or a port-a-let down there, but for right now, assume that it will be el-natural. :)

The shoot will happen rain or shine.  Camping, however, is cancelled if it rains.

All guns are welcome.  This is a black rifle friendly shoot (obviously).  Any calibers.  NFA weapons are allowed so long as the owner brings the proper paper work (and lets me shoot it :) ).

Standard 100 yard rifle paper targets and IPSC targets on posts will the the targets of the day.

I will be taking photographs and video as well, which will be posted here and on militaryphotos.net.  I'll also be putting together a DVD for those interested, purely for private viewing.

I have met a couple of you in person, but since this is a first time for a lot of you I would suggest you come alone.  Guests are welcome but I would like to hold the gathering to 30 people.

The goal is to have fun, meet the local AR-15 crew, talk shop, and be safe doing it.

If you have any questions at all, please, by all means email me.

If everything goes well, I will be more than happy to host more during the year.

I think that about covers it!

I hope to see many of you there!

Richard
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I don't have anything going on, I might make the trip down too. Looks like a neat range.

Swingset my friend, I think you need to come, it would be nice to see you on the range again
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Swingset my friend, I think you need to come, it would be nice to see you on the range again

Hey! I was wondering where you have been hiding.

I will make it down, I checked with the powers that be and I have nothing going on that weekend.

I'll be sure to drag along some Brit rifles for ya.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Would tracers be OK at dusk on the 200yd. range? I would like to gring a 1919 and my girlfriend. (she has her own AK) How about Tannerite?
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey! I was wondering where you have been hiding.

I will make it down, I checked with the powers that be and I have nothing going on that weekend.

I'll be sure to drag along some Brit rifles for ya.

Nice one, I've been hanging out on Military Photos.Net, I seem to have found my space

I've seince purchased a new AR(a Bushy Dissy) and I hope to have a Stag Arms together when I get down there(finger crossed)

I considered getting an Enfield from AIM a while back but when I got down there they were all gone

Link Posted: 4/17/2005 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Would tracers be OK at dusk on the 200yd. range? I would like to gring a 1919 and my girlfriend. (she has her own AK)How

Tracers will be fine.  Just picked up 60 for my AR, JUST for that purpose.

I just got done today with revamping my backstops.  I have to work with what I can and my neighbor with a 3 cubic yard loader helped a lot too. :)

There is a slight rise in the middle of the range that I cannot remove.  It is compacted bank run and pea gravel and just about as hard as concrete.  Nor do I have the time and material to increase the height of the shoot line.

So, if you want to do a dusk/night shoot this is my proposal.

Any full auto or crew served weapons (and SARs) will get a special time where the shoot line is moved up to the 100 yard target line.  There is little fear of deflection since we would be shooting over still damp earth that is lower than the target and the shoot line....and a 75 ft high backstop.

The long range is designed for precision fire not unloading as quick as you can.  I wish it were.  I have plenty of area to do that, just not the full 200 yards.

Maybe I can get us int he gravel pit on Saturday evening....maybe.

I hope that sounds cool.  

I have a Kawasaki Mule 4x4 so moving shoot location is a breeze.

Which reminds me, if anyone wants to bring a quad or two down, its ok.

Note:  This is the first time I have made my gun days open invite, so please excuse any wariness.  I want this to be fun for everyone and hopefully keep doing it.  We'll play a little of it by ear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Sure sounds like a great time, appreciate you opening it up to us black rifle fanatics.  Can even see how the AR10 likes not shooting over lake Miller.  IM for RSVP or this close enough?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be happy to bring my quad down, if it'll help for ferrying folks or supplies around. I can switch the trailer it hauls on to the quad and that'll move alot of stuff - 2 beltfed 1919's and 3 guys no problem (ask me how I know!)

Thanks for the open invite, I'm sure you won't be sorry. I have seen nothing but good behavior from our shoots so far.
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Rock on.  I'm pumped!

I'll have pictures up from the work I did yesterday tonight or Tuesday night.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#22]
More pictures...some just show how things change just with Spring in full go.

I built three new berms, one of which is a end of range backstop.  Dumped gravel on the lower drive where the last flood stripped it out from on top of the underlying packed rock.  Mowed for the first time.  Cleared a river side skeet area.  Put in a parking space incase we get a fair number of vehicles.

The driveway, looking down towards the range and river.  In summer time the trees and bushes so a great job at lowering the noise levels.
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6511_1.jpg

Bottom of the drive...immediate left (barely visible) is the walkway to the pistol/carbine area  To the gradual left continues the road to the rifle range.  Directly ahead is the path to the skeet and river.  To the right is the driveway to the camping and parking area.
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6515_1.jpg

Pistol/Carbine now with gravel on the pathway and shoot lanes.
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6513_1.jpg

Rifle Range, extended, with 50 yard, 100 yard, and 200 yard target areas.  We used to shoot all the way up at the clearing where the second berm is.
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6517_1.jpg

NFA area (thought he carbine/pistol location can be used for it as well)...
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6520.jpg

Looking back down the rifle range...towards the shoot line.
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6521_1.jpg

Shotgun clay pigeon area...with a scenic river view. http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6523_1.jpg

Last but not least...the campground.
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/gravelpit/IMG_6522_1.jpg

Lastly...and I wish we could do the whole thing here...

Opposite this range is our gravel pit.  Its 35 acres in size and is 85% empty.  We might be shooting any .50 BMG gun here (should someone bring one along...the One Shot guys were talking about it, but they have been busy with shows, so who knows).

But here is a panoramic shot of it...
http://homepage.mac.com/thesw0rdofroland/.Pictures/Personal/thePit.jpg
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Beautiful!

Whats the earliest we can show up saturday? Id like to get the tent setup and everything
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
WOW!  That looks very nice.  Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Man, that is just awesome.  Looks fantastic.  
I will be there Saturday.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Let me get back to you on this.

Friday night I may be out drinking with my girl friend and her friends...unfortunately, staying over at her place that night will put me on the other side of town near Hyde Park.

I'll have it solid before the end of next week.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for sharing your range with all of us.  I think I can make it but I need to run it by the boss first.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Duranda1,

Your range looks shweeeeet, I'm looking forward to it
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#29]
You Ohio guys have the best shoots by far. I am envious to no end. I wish I could be there. I may show up for Saturday shooting. I have my 5120.20 so all systems are go.

Bob

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You Ohio guys have the best shoots by far.

That's because we have the suckiest state. It congeals us, somehow like we have to make something worthwhile out of our mediocrity.

Hope you make it, I hear JME is going to get drunk and do some philosophizing for us again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You Ohio guys have the best shoots by far.

...., I hear JME is going to get drunk and do some philosophizing for us again.

I hear swingset may wake up without any eyebrows and sticky lips

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Count me in too for Saturday. I'll bring some NFA toys and an AMAC 50 BMG rifle. I've got some tracers for the NFA, but I'd need at least 200 yards distance to give them time to sufficiently light up. I've also got tracers for my 50.

What was the verdict on Tannerite?

Many thanks,
Cincylance

Link Posted: 4/24/2005 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#33]
DURANDA1

May I attend your GALA EVENT.

Thanks in advance
Coppercollarworker
South Covington, Southern Kenton County Connection
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I am going to have to say no on the Tannerite.  Just for this shoot.  Maybe we'll use it next time.

I did pick up a couple 50 BMG rounds as my contribution to anyone that brings a .50.  Not much, but I did it as an after thought on my way out of Bill Goodman's today.

.50 BMG (3) FMJ, (2) Steel Core, (1) API

I also have the following ammunition and no gun to use it.  Some of it was for a friends gun who no longer shoots and two packs were purchased accidentally:

40 rounds .300 WM (60.00 worth)
100 rounds of 6.5 x 55 mm
100 rounds of 7.5 mm

Anyone that wants it can have it, but they have to have a gun that can shoot it AND be present either Sunday or Saturday.  First come first serve.

With that said, I am sitting here hoping we dodge the bullet with flooding.  Miami River is ONCE again VERY high...too development north of Miamitown (Hamilton, Fairfield, Oxford) is dumping massive amounts of water during these rains into the river.

We should be fine...minus some parking.

I am keeping an eye on the weather.  There is a large storm pattern about 6 or 7 days out.  Right now the weather channel says its going to be nice Saturday and a chance of thunderstorms on Sunday.  This will most likely change daily as weather reports tend to do.

Less than a week!
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#35]
i am gonna try and make it. is that 7.5 swiss?
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Was wondering about flooding as I drove up East Miami River Road today.  Then I got to wonder about the parking, how accessable is it to someone without a truck?  My Civic is still ticked at me for driving up the road at Minifest last year.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Was wondering about flooding as I drove up East Miami River Road today.  Then I got to wonder about the parking, how accessable is it to someone without a truck?  My Civic is still ticked at me for driving up the road at Minifest last year.  

There will be parking a small amount of parking by the road and at the top of the drive way for cars if the ground is questionable and I will open a second gate at the other end of the field if necessary.  I'll survey they spot tomorrow and see if its necessary.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Maybe.  I honestly do not know.  It was in a box marked .303 Enfield/British.  Except that when I got it home and actually looked at it in detail, it wasn't.

Vickers maybe?
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#39]
It probably is 7.5 swiss ammo. If it looks just like a 308 case, then I'd say it is. I have a Swiss K-31 bolt-action I will gladly bring if no one else has something to shoot the 7.5. I've only shot about 20 rounds through it since I've had it.

I sort of assumed that we would be able to park out cars up on the line. If not, I will most likely bring less stuff so I don't have to lug it. I also would not be keen about leaving NFA items in my car when it is out of my sight.

This is looking like it will be a good time for all who can attend.
Cincylance

Link Posted: 4/24/2005 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Im still not sure if I should bring my tracker or my truck. Both are 4x4 but the tracker is better on trails and tight spots. I know swingset might bring his quad and trailer which is great for transporting people and gear so maybe I should bring the truck and help out. I'll have most of my gear in my tent so for the guys with higher end stuff that cant drive back I have a lockable tool box in the back that your welcome to.

Weather permitting
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe.  I honestly do not know.  It was in a box marked .303 Enfield/British.  Except that when I got it home and actually looked at it in detail, it wasn't.

Vickers maybe?

3 possibilities, could be 7.5MAS, 7.5Schmidt Rubin or maybe .303.

As I have all guns in all those calibers, I'd be interested. Is it rimmed ammo? If it's in a .303 box and rimmed I'd say it's .303 with a mkVII headstamp.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#42]
If there is still room/space, I would love to attend.
I live in N.Ky.
I don't have any exotic weapons, but I'm happy to share anything I bring.

Steven
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You Ohio guys have the best shoots by far. I am envious to no end.
Bob

You know, with all of the beautiful land in Kentucky there SHOULD be some kick ass shoots going on in your great state.

"shine on the one thats gone and left me blue"
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Ewwww....long range forecast just keeps getting crappier and crappier. Looking like it's going to be a wet one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Good news is...no flooding at the range or the parking area.

I am thinking positive thoughts on the weather.  Its changed three times in the last 24 hours.

Cinergy road crews are clearing tree branches from power lines and asked to bump on our property, so I have been collecting some piles of wood chips to spread over any muddy areas Saturday morning.

Unless we get we get forty cars at the shoot, there is plenty of parking within 50 to 100 feet of where you will be shooting.

So security and hassle should not be a problem.

And besides the Quad I have a Mule with a flat bed rated for 1800 lbs. to help move ammo...anyone can use the Mule or I can do it as you arrive.

There will be a 10x20' overhead cover on the rifle range and if anyone wants to bring a pop pavilion, feel free.

So, baring any weather issues, we should be set.  I also called up the Sheriff's Department to let them know we were shooting in case they got any phone calls.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Dunno if you already answered this, looked back through the thread and didn't see it, but are you going to rain date this if the weather is really shitty?

NOAA is showing the entire country being wet through the weekend - I see a LOT of rain coming.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, I guess I should...let me check my calendar for the next best weekend...and talk to my girlfriend.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I would be willing to come--rain or shine.

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yeah, I guess I should...let me check my calendar for the next best weekend...and talk to my girlfriend.

I'm not afraid of a little rain, but a constant day-long downpour kinda thing is no fun at all. I went to a shoot that was like that and literally spent 2 weeks ridding myself of rust from the innards of my guns. Swore I'd never do it again.

If it's just a chance of some showers or something hit and miss, then I'd say go for it and we can take our chances but a deluge makes for a crappy day at the range, at least if you don't like your guns and gear wet. Even with a covered shooting position, soft cases get wet, guns and ammo get soaked getting them to and fro, and the moisture in the air makes blued metal brown in no time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Swingset, maybe you could pray tonight that God give you rain or snow this weekend. That ought to fix things for sure
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top