Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 8:47:18 PM EDT

This AWB has got me wondering.  I'm only been in Ohio about 13 years, having been raised in NJ.  Back there, we had a ward system, so you had someone accountable to represent the interests of your neighborhood.

I don't like this "at-large" system that Columbus has.  A Democratic city is always going to vote in a Democratic council.  As an Republican-leaning Independent, I feel like there's nobody representing me and that I have nobody to bitch to if I have a problem.

Has Columbus always been like this?  If not, why did they change to the current format?  What would it take to go back to a ward system?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be very difficult.
It favors Democrats, and since they are in power, they will not wish to give up that power.
In fact, they will likely work to strengthen it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know all the history involved but my guess is that it has been like this for a long time.  Look at the structure of the area.  Columbus proper is pretty much a cesspool with the out lying area being really nice.   As Columbus proper has expanded and annexed it has swallowed up a bunch of townships and in the process expanding their sphere of influence without any real repercussions because of lack of representation of the constituents.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top