Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/7/2005 10:53:23 AM EDT
My step-son purchased an old wallhanger shotgun barrel off of fleabay and then worked some deal where the guy was going to send the rest of the gun also. It was an ancient single that was demilled or something so he could ship it direct. Anyway, he took payment, and never shipped. Now hes dodged me for two months and his phone is disconnected. What can I do as I am in AZ? I am preparing to forward complaints to everyone with a badge that might have jurisdiction, but figured I'd come here for advice first. LNA is in Kettering, OH.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I am in Seattle, sop I am of no help directly, but I will offer some advice.

Next time you attempt to skirt Federal Firearms laws, dont come to ARFCOm and ask for LEO help to clean up the ripoff that ensued.

There is no honor among theives.

IBTL

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey CavVet, with all due respect take your opinion and stick it back where you pulled it out of. How dare you accuse me of attempting an illegal transaction. Maybe I didn't spell it out clearly enough, but the item was LEGAL TO SHIP DIRECTLY. In fact it was represented as being black powder and as most of us know that is not an FFL item. Sorry I didn't spell out all the details and as I only asked for ADVICE (not action) as to what the laws were in Ohio, I didn't feel the need. People like you are whats wrong with this forum, and make this site a lot less pleasant than it should be.

Maybe next time before you shoot off your big mouth you should IM for details? Please stay off of my thread.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My step-son purchased an old wallhanger shotgun barrel off of fleabay and then worked some deal where the guy was going to send the rest of the gun also. It was an ancient single that was demilled or something so he could ship it direct.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey CavVet WTF is your problem? First you shoot your mouth off before you had the facts, Second
you are not even in OHIO So GTFO  I hate people like you who jump all over the board and stick thier  mouth into issues you have no reason to.

Learn some respect
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey CavVet WTF is your problem? First you shoot your mouth off before you had the facts, Second
you are not even in OHIO So GTFO  I hate people like you who jump all over the board and stick thier  mouth into issues you have no reason to.

Learn some respect

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
CavVet

Get out, and please do not come back to the Ohio forums...........

Damn troll.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Listen to your homie..........

Quoted:
Learn some respect

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
His best response is to complain to ebay.  He could also contact the Kettering Police but as this was an agreed to business transaction they will likely look at it as a civil matter.  He would have to prove intent for it to be theft.

+1

file a complaint through Ebay... You MAY be able to file a report with Kettering and file charges on him if you have all or some of his pertinent info....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I doubt if Ebay will help either.........

Quoted:
In fact it was represented as being black powder  

BB Guns, Replicas, Blank Guns and Imitation Guns
eBay does not permit the sale of BB guns, air guns, black powder guns or muzzle-loader guns. eBay permits paintball guns, "airsoft" guns, and replica, "look-alike," and imitation firearms under certain circumstances. "Airsoft" and replica look-alike guns may only be sold domestically in the United States provided the replica and imitation items have clear markings permanently affixed to the items to the extent required by federal law (commonly a blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel), and must not be readily convertible to shoot a projectile. These items must be located in the U.S., offered only for domestic shipment and the seller must be located in the U.S. These rules apply to all items designed to look like firearms.

Link

Whether its a "demilled ancient single shotgun" or a "black powder", you know Ebay......

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Im about 15 minutes from Kettering but not a leo. I wonder if it would be a bad idea to confront him in a non threatening manner about payment?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Kettering Police Dept

I grew up in Kettering and Washington Twp.   Got an address?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys, thanks but I will not forward any address info. Just looking for info on Ohio statutes that would give me some insight on how to pursue legal action in OH. I will not contribute to anyones ass getting in a sling for "strong-arming" anyone. It means a lot that youre willing to take the time to do it, but I can't see the good any of it will bring.

Any ideas where my civil court jurisdiction would be? Would I have to file suit in OH, or can I sue him from afar? I was seeking a LEOs opinion since they could site what laws he potentially violated, or whether it was strictly a civil matter.

Glad we are all playing nice now, and sorry if I was misunderstood at first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not call the City of Kettering Court, they are in the same complex (directly across the sidewalk from the PD)....  Maybe look on switchboard for lawyers in the Kettering/south Dayton/Centerville area and ask for advice.

Clerk of Court - Kettering -

City of Kettering Municipal Court, Judges  
3600 Shroyer Rd
 Dayton, OH 45429-2734 Phone:  (937) 296-2466  

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
How did you pay?  If USPS MO, contact the Postmaster General and look into mail fraud.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#17]
If you the buyer or the seller used the United States Postal Services for anything to complete this transaction (i.e. USPS MO, or you sent the payment by USPS or if the items was going to be sent by USPS). Please contact the USPS postal inspectors office in your home town, they love these cases. This is considered mail fraud.

coppercollarworker, retired LEO
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#18]
This is a comedy of errors that leaves me frustrated everytime I think about it. Normally I use PayPal for all my online payments, but since this was for the step son I made him use his money to get a M.O., and he get one at Circle K instead of the post office. Of course, he also hasn't been able to find the stub from the M.O.! Payment was sent via USPS, and I wasn't aware that was enough to make it postal fraud. I will go to the Post Ofiice and get the contact info for the local inspector ASAP. I will also contact the powers that be in Kettering and see what their advice is. I really appreciate all the advice gentlemen. Sorry this thread got a bad start.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Without attempting to hijack this thread, can someone explain what makes a firearm not a firearm any longer?  I have heard of receivers being torched in half.  Let's take a shotgun, for example, could you weld a break open type shotgun closed and would it no longer be a shotgun?  Or weld plugs into the barrel? Or is that something that could be cut out again to make it operable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Manufactured before 1899, or demilled as per BATFE ruling. Apparently the BATFE sets the standards by which demilled is judged, and it varies by weapon.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top