Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 9:14:52 PM EDT
are any of my fellow Ohioans left hand shooters?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
IM left handed. Dont be ashamed to be left handed. Left handed people are usually smarter than right handed people and are far more creative. It is a gift from God and he will one day call upon his left handed children to rise up against the right handed world to break bondage of assimilation in this right handed world.
j/k Iam a southpaw though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
do you ever have any problems with the ejected shells hitting you anywhere.  I had a one of my shells out of my pistol hit me in the forehead once and give me a nice little cut.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I am also a lefty!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am also a lefty!!

As am I.

Anyone looking at those stagnantarms lefty uppers?  I called them and asked about just a receiver, they correctly informed me that the bolt, barrel ext. etc. was all switched over.  Duh on my part.  SO I think I'll pass for now.  I use a brass catcher a lot anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
do you ever have any problems with the ejected shells hitting you anywhere.  I had a one of my shells out of my pistol hit me in the forehead once and give me a nice little cut.

Ive never had any problems except when I bought my M17. I had to make a custom brass deflector for it which works pretty goood though. Other than that Ive never had a problem. I even have one of the old M16 A2 uppers that doesnt have a brass deflector and Ive never had any problems with it.

Left handers arent handicapped, were handicapable
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I am actually ambidextrous and can shoot right or left handed but i shoot mostly left since i am left eye dominant.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I am mostly ambidextrious.  I can do all but write and play hockey lefty (working on the lefty shot though).  I have neve had a problem getting hit by ejected shell casings although I have had crap spewed at me from within ejected shotgun shells though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
+1

Hessian-1(Leftys unite!)out!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm left handed and right eye dominant, so I've learned to shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am actually ambidextrous and can shoot right or left handed but i shoot mostly left since i am left eye dominant.

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

I've never caught a piece of brass other than with an M16A1.  Even then, I just learned to deal with it.  The worst I ever got though was shooting a Rattle Battle match and a piece of hot brass got wedged between my cheek and the chin strap on my helmet.  Couldn't afford to do anything about it until the stage was complete.  Now THAT one hurt a tad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I write left handed and I'm left eye dominant so I shoot rifle left handed. I shoot handguns right handed because all my holsters growing up were right handed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Now how do you tell which eye is dominant again? Is it using one finger in front of your face and close one eye? BTW, I'm left handed too! We are special...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Now how do you tell which eye is dominant again? Is it using one finger in front of your face and close one eye? BTW, I'm left handed too! We are special...

Two different ways that I've learned are...
1. Hold a finger extended out away from you and shut one eye at a time. The eye that doesn't show finger moving is the dominant one.
2. Hold extended finger and slowly bring your finger to your eye. You will bring it to your dominant eye.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two different ways that I've learned are...
1. Hold a finger extended out away from you and shut one eye at a time. The eye that doesn't show finger moving is the dominant one.
2. Hold extended finger and slowly bring your finger to your eye. You will bring it to your dominant eye.

The same methods can be used by making your index finger and thumb into a circle.  Hold it at arms length and focus on an object in the circle with both eyes open.  Now move your hand back towards your face keeping the object in the circle.  Whichever eye your hand ends up encircling is your dominant eye.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]
bringing your hand / finger back to your eye doesnt always work.  MOst people i see do it that way always bring it back the same eye as hand they are using.  Meaning if they use the right hand to do the test they will bring it to there right eye.  If they use the left they will bring it to their left eye.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
bringing your hand / finger back to your eye doesnt always work.  MOst people i see do it that way always bring it back the same eye as hand they are using.  Meaning if they use the right hand to do the test they will bring it to there right eye.  If they use the left they will bring it to their left eye.

I don't see how this is possible if they keep the object centered in the circle.  Bringing it back to the non-dominant eye results in the object moving out of the circle and coming back in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Any of you lefties need a LH Rem 700 VS in 22-250? I've got a left handed buddy that's having a hard time moving one. (no BS sob story, too....... He got deployed to Afghanistan with the Cols based Civil Affairs SF Army reserve unit. It took him 3 months overseas to get his first paycheck, and he and his wife are still playing catch up) I'd buy it to help him out, but I'm right handed!

Rick

PM me and I can put you in touch.

*Moderators I didn't intend this as a For sale post. I was hoping to help a local Vet............

Rick  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see how this is possible if they keep the object centered in the circle.  Bringing it back to the non-dominant eye results in the object moving out of the circle and coming back in.

Maybe i am just a little whacked out then.  Cause i get different results with each method i use for determining eye dominance
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Jteezy,

You're thinking about it too hard while you're doing it, or maybe you are not strongly either right or left eye dominant.

Try using both hands and making a circle with the thumb and forefinger of each hand. (holding them together so you only have one circle) Make the circle as small as you can and still see a far away object at arms length. Move it back to your eyes fairly quickly, keeping the object at a distance in focus, and not your hands. It should go back to your dominant eye.

Some people aren't strongly l/r eye dominant, though. Cross dominance to deal with as a shooter. (ie; Right handed, left eye dominant)

I'm right handed, and thankfully enough strongly right eye dominant. My right eye is dominant enough I shoot everything with both eyes open, but it gives me fits when I try to shoot a long gun from my left shoulder, as in carbine transition drills.

Rick    
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#23]
using two hands to make the circle always results in the left eye being dominant.  But if i do some of the one hand tests i get varied results.

I am pretty messed up

Left handed activities:

write
use a fork or spoon
throw a frisbee
shoot guns

Right handed activities:

throw (baseball, football, etd)
bat (hitting in baseball softabll)
shoot a basketball
swing a golf club
shoot guns (only shoot my airsoft guns right handed since i shoot both eyes open when playing and its easier to do mag changes on my m15 if i shoot right hand vs left handed)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I think you can "cheat" too easily using one hand. I've always had much better results using two hands.

(as if that makes any sense)

What I mean is that it's too easy to let one hand kind of go towards whichever side it's on.

Rick
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
i agree.  That's what i was referring to above when i talked about those methods not working to well for myself and a lot of others i have had do the test.  If you are using your right hand its more fluent body motion for your right hand to come back to your right eye then to cross over to your left.  Even when holding your arm out and doing the open and close thing get varied results depending on which arm i am extending out to do this.  I think it creates a misbalance when you just use one hand.  Using two is better to judge IMO
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top