Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 3:55:08 PM EDT
Was curious since the AWB is dead, can I legally buy and use 40-rounders in my AR and AK now?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Unfortunately No.  any magazine larger than 30 rounds cannot be used in Ohio.

How does Ohio law state it?  Is it a magazine capable of holding more than 30, or a magazine with more than 30 rds in it?  I've heard both ways stated many times here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Unfortunately No.  any magazine larger than 30 rounds cannot be used in Ohio.

So the 100-rd Beta Mags are out too? Good thing I checked!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.  

The law defines a weapon with such an adaptor to be a machine gun.  Thus all NFA rules would apply.

That clause specifically defines the weapon, not the magazine. Designed or specially adapted. That doesn't address a weapon, a pistol for example, which was designed only for a 10 or 15 round magazine, not modified in any way, yet is used with a magaizine holding over 30 rounds. If you put a 32 round M59 mag in a Beretta 92, it will work, yet you have not changed the configuration of the weapon at all. Same with an AR. Sounds vague, to me.

I remember some part of the ORC which dealt specifically with how many rounds a magazine could be loaded with, as Leisure hinted at, but I'm can't remember where it was.

In any case, and I say this in public and with panache, fuck that law.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
And Columbus is trying once again to implement anti "Assault Weapons" legistlation.

Nov 4th at 5 p.m. is the first of the public hearings.

State law now applies to guns with an over 30 rounder in it.

It is best to contact your local law enforcement for clarification.  But, as has been experienced in the past by some forum members, call back 4 times, cause you'll get 4 different answers.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Its a dangerous game

We will never advocate or condone the breaking of any city, state, or Federal laws of any kind.  

That I agree with. It has always been, historically, a dangerous game to disregard unconstitutional laws and live free of government meddling and tyranny. It's landed people in prison, made people lose their wages and even their lives. Patriots have often suffered greatly by committing such treasonous, evil deads as putting a 32 round mag in a gun and enjoying it.

As for advocating such activity, please re-read my post. I said "fuck that law", not "I will disregard the law and use higher-than-legal capacity magazines". Pedantics, but we patriots choose our words carefully so as not to self-incriminate.

Have a nice day, officer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
What about the cloth belts for 1919's?
That is specifically what I was thinking of.
It would seem unlikely that a charge would hold up in that case.
And for that matter, are the bullets really "IN THE GUN", or are they just being fed into the gun, one at a time?  It certainly is not a magazine.  Linked ammo, too, for that matter.

Maye they'll build that Shrike soon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What about the cloth belts for 1919's?
That is specifically what I was thinking of.
It would seem unlikely that a charge would hold up in that case.
And for that matter, are the bullets really "IN THE GUN", or are they just being fed into the gun, one at a time?  It certainly is not a magazine.  Linked ammo, too, for that matter.

Maye they'll build that Shrike soon.

Just sew every 31st link shut  on a belt and don't link more than 30 rounds together.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is how they can possibly get you for simply possessing over-30 rounders, esp. (B)(1).

§ 2923.24. Possessing criminal tools.

(A)  No person shall possess or have under the person's control any substance, device, instrument, or article, with purpose to use it criminally.  

(B)  Each of the following constitutes prima-facie evidence of criminal purpose:  

(1) Possession or control of any dangerous ordnance, or the materials or parts for making dangerous ordnance, in the absence of circumstances indicating the dangerous ordnance, materials, or parts are intended for legitimate use;  

(2) Possession or control of any substance, device, instrument, or article designed or specially adapted for criminal use;  

(3) Possession or control of any substance, device, instrument, or article commonly used for criminal purposes, under circumstances indicating the item is intended for criminal use.  

(C)  Whoever violates this section is guilty of possessing criminal tools. Except as otherwise provided in this division, possessing criminal tools is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the circumstances indicate that the substance, device, instrument, or article involved in the offense was intended for use in the commission of a felony, possessing criminal tools is a felony of the fifth degree.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The law says " Specially adapted ".  A magazine is just such an adapter and that is how the law in Ohio sees it.  Those who set out with the intent to " fuck the law " usually end up getting " fucked by the law ".  Its a dangerous game and AR15.com will always endevour to provide factual information to its members.  We will never advocate or condone the breaking of any city, state, or Federal laws of any kind.  

so can i get a tax stamp on my AR and classify it as a MG then that would short bbl. it and make it full auto all at the same time :)

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.  

I'm a LEO and I never realized this!! I double checked my ORC and you quoted it word for word....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]
So Semi belt feed 1919's are illegal in Ohio ?

No,  they are legal.  Without a belt adapeted to fire more than 30 rounds without reloading, they are a single shot rifle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So Semi belt feed 1919's are illegal in Ohio ?

Yep thet are leagle. There will also be a least 2 semi 1919's at Millers on Sunday.
As far as the 30 round law goes I've yet to see it enforced. However if you were to do something else stupid and get the LEO's attention it could become an "add on" charge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As far as the 30 round law goes I've yet to see it enforced. However if you were to do something else stupid and get the LEO's attention it could become an "add on" charge.

10 bucks to anybody who can piss off shotar enough to get him to arrest you on a magazine capacity violation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

10 bucks to anybody who can piss off shotar enough to get him to arrest you on a magazine capacity violation.

Yea and I like you too
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

so can i get a tax stamp on my AR and classify it as a MG then that would short bbl. it and make it full auto all at the same time :)

If you play the  ORC starting from the beginning of the chapter, work your way through a couple sections, it comes out in the end the firearms registered in the "Nation Firearm Registry and  Transfer Record"  are  "EXEMPT"  from the law of 31 round.......  Get you a MG, or a SBR, they   cannot bother you.

I used to shoot IPSC with a bunch of local LE from 3 or 4 different depts here local, and they thought it was BS, they would probably use it as an "ADD ON" charge to some other primary offense.... They felt it would be difficult to enfore, they would have to stand there and watch you install the mag, then have to sit there and count each round... then try to enforce it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea and I like you too

Ooops, sorry about that AW4EVER, the "you" I typed was referring to the "anybody who can piss of shotar enough" and not to you as a person.  I guess I better restate - "10 bucks to anybody who can piss off shotar enough to get themselves arrested on a magazine capacity violation" (and terrorizing his dog doesn't count!)
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Let us not forget that magazines over 20 rounds are illegal in Columbus due to city ordinance.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Just wanted to be clear on 40-rounders, can I still own one even if I do not load it or use it in Ohio? Therefore, I would wait until I am in another state that is legal to use it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Let us not forget that magazines over 20 rounds are illegal in Columbus due to city ordinance.

That is not true.  Is it?  I mean they sell 30 rounders at Vances.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not true.  Is it?  I mean they sell 30 rounders at Vances.  

Of course its not true.  I try to make a habit of posting lies and falsehoods.  

1) Vances is technically zoned Clinton Township,  not city of Columbus.  This is also how they are able to sell guns without the city registration/wait period.   So selling 30 round mags is legal for them.

2) Columbus City Code,  Title 23,  Chapter 2323.32 Unlawful possession of a large capacity magazine.

also see 2323.11 (F)

This section may have been struck down in the law suit against the city's AWB,  but I don't think it was included in the lawsuit.  Also, the city has a ban on CCW.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top