Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/19/2004 9:40:44 PM EDT
Anyone in the cincy area that is willing to take a new ar15 person under their wing.  I am new to the ar15's (waiting for mine to come in) and want to learn all about them from an experienced collector, shooter, armorer, etc.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
what are you doing on halloween??  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
sunday the 31st, i have no plans
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, you do now...
Come to the Halloween shoot at Millers campground.
See the thread in the Ohio Forum....
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=12&t=186160
There will be more AR's than you can shake a stick at.
(assuming you can't shake a stick at 10 AR's, or so)
I'm bringing 2.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
where is this place located
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
It's in Waynesville - what part of town do you live in?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Cincy (hence the post "Cincy".    Just messing with you.  I live between Cincinnati Mills (Bass Pro Shop) and Tri County Mall
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]
You should definetely try to make it out sunday. Its not a very fancy range but we always have a blast.

This website and the members here can help you with anything you have questions about. I think you'll you'll find more information here than you'll know what to do with. The build it yourself forum in the AR15 section is one of my favorites for information.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Thumb a ride with 93 or Armdctzn, both live/pass by there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]
try this link  www.millercampground.com/
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#10]
place is rather close to me.  Only 35 miles away.  I might have to come up there and check out some ar's.  Is it AR shooting only going on or can i bring my glock to shoot since i do not have an AR yet (still on waiting list).
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If it can be used at a range bring it and enjoy.  Really aren't to many restrictions there other than no explosive targets.   A 50 might be a little much for the berm though.    The last couple shoot there have been everything from 22s to 1919s    I can't speak for everyone else but if it goes bang or shoots SOMETHING then its ok, even had a black powder mortar Memorial Day
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
place is rather close to me.  Only 35 miles away.  I might have to come up there and check out some ar's.  Is it AR shooting only going on or can i bring my glock to shoot since i do not have an AR yet (still on waiting list).

Well, as long as you don't shoot the Glock TOO CLOSE to us.
#1. We are all snobs who can't be seen near Glocks, as our 1911's and Springfield XD's are superior.
#2. It might KaBoom and hurt us.

(j/k... if you haven't figured out, nearly all us Southern Ohio ARFCOM shooters, are smart-asses.  Except maybe JME, not sure what is going on there.) or or or
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well, as long as you don't shoot the Glock TOO CLOSE to us.
#1. We are all snobs who can't be seen near Glocks, as our 1911's a are superior.
#2. It might KaBoom and hurt us.

Glocks arent superior to 1911's?

(j/k... if you haven't figured out, nearly all us Southern Ohio ARFCOM shooters, are smart-asses.  Except maybe JME, not sure what is going on there.) or or or

I speak truth and not of falsehoods. I deal with facts, not hearsay or hyperbole. Above all else Iam serious in nature and do not involve myself in sillyness and gayetty
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Glocks, you either love em or hate em.  I love mine.  You won't see mine KABOOM either because:

1) i dont shoot lead
2) I dont shoot reloads only factory jacketed ammo
3) I keep it clean

I have never been much of a 1911 fan.  Have shot a few but love my glock
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I sent you an IM Jteezy.

I loved my glock when I had it. I sold it to fund my first AR. I replaced it with an XD9 and am very happy with it. Never cared much for the 1911 though. Different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
i dont think i could ever sell any of my guns.  I try to add to the collection not replace it, lol.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i dont think i could ever sell any of my guns.  I try to add to the collection not replace it, lol.

I thought I was doing it for a good cause I eventually even traded my colt pre-ban lower for a brand new M17 though. It has proven to have been a wise choice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]
sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

truer words have seldom been spoken.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#20]
i think i would sell my nice tv before one of my guns for another gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#21]
"but in the end, I did it my way"

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
yep, to each his own.  As long as you are happy thats all that matters.  Hope to meet up on the range with you sometime soon.  I will let you shoot my glock
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll take you up on that. I'll show you why I like my XD better than my old Glock. A couple things I like better on the glock than the XD are the sights and tennifer finish. Those things are easily enhanceable though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
i have been wanting to shoot an XD but i wanted to shoot it in 40 cal.  9mm is good for target and range shooting but my only pistol is my glock and its my CCW so i had to go 40 cal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If it can be used at a range bring it and enjoy.  Really aren't to many restrictions there other than no explosive targets.   A 50 might be a little much for the berm though.    The last couple shoot there have been everything from 22s to 1919s    I can't speak for everyone else but if it goes bang or shoots SOMETHING then its ok, even had a black powder mortar Memorial Day

It looks like the black powder mortar will be coming back on Halloween hopefully!
That thing is just too much fun.  Got to get 93 to display his firing technique again.
I think I can make it, just have to get out early enough to take the kids out for Halloween.
Of course, I'll bring a couple of other semi-interesting things too.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#26]
http://http://www.hunt101.com/img/139136.jpg" border=0>

Hopefully you see a picture of the mortar here.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Whatever you do, don't shoot at Target World. The lead count in the air would knock the socks off an EPA agent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I'm the only one in the group that actually lives in Cincinnati as well so I can certainly swing by and pick you up on my way there.

I've only gotten back into the AR15 scene in the last three years but used to shoot the M16 competitively for the Army for a number of years.

I'm in Norwood and work in Woodlawn.  There's a decent chance I'll be shooting with the Makarov guys this Saturday down in Crittenden, KY.  If you'd like to join us, you're more than welcome.

If you're interested in Crittenden this weekend, contact me offline and I can give you directions to my place, you can meet me here and hitch a ride down with me.  It's around 30min from the house and is free.

Otherwise drop me an email and we'll make plans for the Halloween shoot at Millers.

redleg at sargenthome dot com

BTW - Welcome to the madness!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe I bring my 1911 38 Super race gun and the G-17 just to aggrevate you all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think I'm the only one in the group that actually lives in Cincinnati as well so I can certainly swing by and pick you up on my way there.

I've only gotten back into the AR15 scene in the last three years but used to shoot the M16 competitively for the Army for a number of years.

I'm in Norwood and work in Woodlawn.  There's a decent chance I'll be shooting with the Makarov guys this Saturday down in Crittenden, KY.  If you'd like to join us, you're more than welcome.

If you're interested in Crittenden this weekend, contact me offline and I can give you directions to my place, you can meet me here and hitch a ride down with me.  It's around 30min from the house and is free.

Otherwise drop me an email and we'll make plans for the Halloween shoot at Millers.

redleg at sargenthome dot com

BTW - Welcome to the madness!

Cool.  I actually have plans for this weekend.  I am still planning on going to Millers next Sunday so we will need to talk about going up there.  Oh by the way, i live in Springdale.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I have about 20Lbs of powder left so bring lots of them concrete filled pipes.  I was thinking it would be fun to tie a streamer to the mortar projectile.  Like the CAUTION tape you see at construction sights.  It would be cool watch them in the air and will make it easy to recover your projectiles.  If you want I will see if I can get some from work.

Only bringing the SEMI-interesting stuff,  I know you better than that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have about 20Lbs of powder left so bring lots of them concrete filled pipes....

hmm....what small aplliance can I round up to be destroyed in the name of fun?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have about 20Lbs of powder left so bring lots of them concrete filled pipes.  I was thinking it would be fun to tie a streamer to the mortar projectile.  Like the CAUTION tape you see at construction sights.  It would be cool watch them in the air and will make it easy to recover your projectiles.  If you want I will see if I can get some from work.

Only bringing the SEMI-interesting stuff,  I know you better than that.  

How about figuring out a way to leave a hollow in the top of your mortar "shells" to jam smoke bombs into?  Light the smoke fuse just before you launch the mortar round.  Make them easy to follow/find if it works.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#34]
i have two 90k cold burning smoke grenades.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't shoot at Target World. The lead count in the air would knock the socks off an EPA agent.

Thanks.... I just shot there last Night (Thursday).
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#36]

How about figuring out a way to leave a hollow in the top of your mortar "shells" to jam smoke bombs into?  Light the smoke fuse just before you launch the mortar round.  Make them easy to follow/find if it works.

I like how you think!   I 've been thinking of trying something like that.  I figured I could either epoxy some kind of smoke bomb to the top of the round or just stick them in before the concrete drys.  That is the kind of thing I can try in the dead of winter when I'm not so busy.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#37]
If you used cement for your existing ones, just get a masonry bit, and open it up.  
Maybe hold the smoker in with some putty or gum or paper wadding.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I have heard that "tracers" can be made by putting a road flare into the projectile facing the powder charge and upon ignition of the black powder the flare lights and traces with the projectile, not sure if they just jam them in or epoxy them?

Was done with bowling ball motar IIRC, jammed the flare in one of the finger holes.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#39]
The road flare would probably work if you could find one small enough to fit the mortar round.
I would be very careful where did that because of the fire hazard, though.  These rounds tend to sort of go out of sight sometimes!  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The road flare would probably work if you could find one small enough to fit the mortar round.
I would be very careful where did that because of the fire hazard, though.  These rounds tend to sort of go out of sight sometimes!  

Ummm...yeah...sometimes.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top