Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 5:32:43 PM EDT
Well, yours truely went on a grocery run tonight down Mayfield Avenue through Cleveland Heights and South Euclid tonight. The road is notorious for cops running radar so I made sure not to speed, especially through the 25 zones. As I was driving home, I hear my radar detector going off and see a Cleveland heights cop sitting in the parking lot. Another car comes flying up behind me and lights and sirens go off and somehow I get pulled over instead of this other guy ... hmmm 23 in a 25 ... yeah, this is not sitting well with me.

When the officer comes up to my window, he asked to see my license and insurance. I immediately tell him that I had a CCW permit and was armed. I also told him that I saw him running radar and thus I had no reason to be speeding (meanwhile the detector is screaming like a banshee in the background). His followup question was "OK, so where was I then?" and I responded that he was in the parking lot of the strip mall. At that point, he said "OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt." Handed my license back to me and walked away. I guess this was one of those situations where having a radar detector (and a cop running constant-on radar) paid off.

Overall, I was very pleased with how he handled the CCW issue. I don't know if he had time to run my plate as he got out of his cruiser very quickly, but he never did ask to see my permit or try to secure my handgun. So other than needing glasses or better night vision to pull over the proper offender, the whole thing was handled pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you were on your way BACK from the grocery run, he probably stopped you because your undercarriage was dragging on the ground. It wasn't the speed which alerted him, it was the flying sparks!!!!I agree, i've been through the gauntlet AKA, Cleveland Hts, So Usless, and Lyndhurst. It's no easy task. PS. If you were only going 23 in a 25 zone, why did you bother having the radar detector?????
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
why did you bother having the radar detector?????

Leftover from my younger days of indiscretion ...  I like to know where they are and unlike you, they don't all hang out at the pastry shop around here.

BTW, if anybody needs to haul a safe, IM mmsig229 - he's usually available and willing to help.
But seriously, thanks again for the hand this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm suprised he didn't give you a ticket anyway.

So mmsig229 is a safe mover, huh?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem Eddy!!!! I'm surprised you weren't more careful with your combination. If any of your toys disappear, it's just a coincidence !!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Bro Illigb...I'm way too old to make safe moving a habit. But, since Eddy has always dropped what he's doing and puts on his gunsmith apron for his shooting pals, I made an exception. He did take me out for a feast at BW's though after, so we're even!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#8]
If I ever comment about possibly moving to Cleveland, somebody please slap me.

Damn, and I thought Cincinnati was bad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]
It's more an issue of politics than police, but stories like this just reaffirm my overall impression.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
When I wa in high school in 96 my mom had just bought a 96 LT1 trans am. She let me and my buddy take it out one night. We were cruising through a neighborhood around 9pm doiong the speed limit with no music playing or anything when I look in my rearveiw mirror and see headlights closing in on my bumper a very fast speed. I just keep at a steady 25 mph till he gets right up on me and then I could see it was a squad car. He soon quit following me and I never had any problems.

When I first got my liscense I was pulled over for not using a turn signal. I actually used it but was unaware the bulb was out. The policeman and his passenger(another policeman) began asking me questions like "do you smoke?" "Do you do drugs?" " Are you lying to me?" They let me go after I answered all their questions.

Another time I was taking a friend home around christmas time at night. I was cruising down a road where speeds decrease from 45 to 35 as you get in closer to town. Since it was about 1am and the center of town I made it a point to stay strictly to the speed limit. Got pulled over anyway. The officer told me I was speeding and I told him my speedometer read I was dong 35 and my friend confirmed. He took my liscence and headed back to his car. Meanwhile my friend is flipping out saying I should do this and that and tell the cop to go pound sand. He came back and handed me my liscense and said he was gonna let me off this time being it was christmas and all.

I never get pulled over anymore.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top