Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 8:41:53 PM EDT
My buddy and I were planning on going to the gun show in Columbus this weekend. The problem, obviously, is that it was last weekend. I guess I need to start using my palm pilot again.

Anyway, are there any gun shops in the Columbus area that you guys recommend? I am specifically looking to buy a HK USP so an HK dealer would be nice.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that the New Albany Shooting Range used to carry a lot of HK products, but its been a while since I've been there.  Their prices are on the high side and the help can be snobby at times.  (about 10 miles Northeast of Columbus)
The best selection in town is probably Vance's Shooters Supply on Cleveland Avenue.  
The prices are good and the staff is generally knowledgeable and helpful.
Buckeye Outdoors is about 25 miles east of Columbus a few miles north of I-70 near
Newark, pretty much the same selection with the same pricing as Vances as the two stores
are run by the same guy.

Where are you coming from?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Vance's is your best bet. It's on Cleveland Ave.

Good folks, good service and the prices are about as good as you'll find in the area. There is also Gander Mountain, which if they have a sale is good place to buy. 30 minutes east on 70 is Vance's sister store "Buckeye Outdoors", which is more like a big Cabellas outfit but they have a great gun selection.

Another good Central Ohio "mega" store is further north on 71 near Ashland, Fin Feather & Fur.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know that the New Albany Shooting Range used to carry a lot of HK products, but its been a while since I've been there.  Their prices are on the high side and the help can be snobby at times.  (about 10 miles Northeast of Columbus)

Forgot about them. They're so damn outrageous on prices I don't even consider them a shop, but a window display with a range attached.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I'm coming from the Athens area.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgot about them. They're so damn outrageous on prices I don't even consider them a shop, but a window display with a range attached.

When they have them in stock, they are very reasonable on RRA receivers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When they have them in stock, they are very reasonable on RRA receivers.

They must be rare in there, I've never seen them in stock. What's weird is, the only time I've been in there and saw a great deal on something, they tried to talk me out of it! I looked at a used S&W Model 41, superb shape, and the guy kept telling me "there's nicer pistols for the money". Whatever, I think he wanted it! I shoulda bought it but even a good deal those are rather pricey rimfires.

What dissuaded me from NASR is when I tried to deal on something there, both times they wanted no part of it. That's my clue they don't need my money. I've yet to run into a shop in Central Ohio, unless a chain store, that won't do something if you press, even if it's throw in a mag or a box of ammo. Most times at Buckeye nowadays, they offer up something before I get dealing. Guess I buy alot there, they know all know me by reputation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster?  If not you may want to stop in and look around, its right there on Route 33.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have you tried Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster?  If not you may want to stop in and look around, its right there on Route 33.

Yeah, that's another one. They have an indoor range, don't they? I stopped in there a while back and seem to recall a range inside.

Also forgot about The Powder Room in Powell. That's another. And, if you're really scrounging for obscure shops, there's a few smaller ones around...tho nothing special. Lots of high prices and poor selection. Zane's was great while it was around just for the spectacle, but sadly that one has been closed since Zane's murder.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

But isn't it true that for any firearms purchase in Columbus you need some goofy city-issued purchase permit which costs, like, $20?  At least that's what I was told by a salesman at Gander Mountain (in Columbus).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But isn't it true that for any firearms purchase in Columbus you need some goofy city-issued purchase permit which costs, like, $20?  At least that's what I was told by a salesman at Gander Mountain (in Columbus).

Vance's is just outside the Columbus city limits, so you don't need any of the siilly ass Columbus permits.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I was about to ask about the permit "issue."

I have visited Ohio Valley Outdoors several times and they have gotten a lot of my money. They seem to have good prices but they don't sell HK.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The folks at the Powder Room are top notch, their range fees are very reasonable.
Its been a couple of years since I've been up there,  but they didn't have a large selection
of guns from what I saw.  They are certainly worth a look if you are in the area.
Has anyone had the Powder Room do a firearm transfer, we had a death in the family out of state and I am trying to arrange the shipment of a small collection.   Sorry about going off topic.
The Columbus gun permit thing just about elinimates any of the stores within the city limits.
For those of you who like Gander Mountain, their store near I-70 and  Route 256 is in Reynoldsburg and not subject to such idiocy.  Unfortunately they sell out of their specials
quickly because of this.   Vances is in a Mifflin Township, so you are legal to buy there even
though it is surrounded by the City of Columbus.
The range at Ohio Valley Outdoors looks to be pretty nice, I think they have 21 lanes but I can't remember the lengths.  
I've not been to the store, but I've dealt with Fins, Fur & Feather at the PRO Gunshows here in town and their people and prices were both good.

I haven't done any shooting for a couple of years now,  but all of this talk is getting me
anxious to get back out there.

The Powder Room's website is   www.powderrm.com   They do not list HK as a brand they carry new, but they do sell used guns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks a lot for the information. We wound up going to Vance's. I was impressed with their selection and prices. They do sell HK but their prices a little high. They do have some great deals on other brands though. I've never been to a gun shop where you had to take a number. It's like a gun deli.

We also went to a knife shop called River's Edge Cutlery. I would recommend them if your looking for a nice knife.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#14]
New Albany sucks - High Prices - Arrogant Staff

Powder Room - Great Service - High Prices (Sometimes just down right illogical)

Vance's - Excellent prices - Mostly great service - large selection

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget about Barnes in Lancaster.  I haven't been there in a while but they usually have a pretty good selection.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#16]
If you've got nothing against making a drive, try giving these guys a call.

Guns & Gear
937 593 4868
213 S. Main
Bellefontaine

Its been a while since I've been in there, but they always seemed to have some H&K pistol in stock whenever I was there. IIRC they had a couple of USP's when I was looking to buy my wife a pistol (thank god she went with the CZ! Saved my wallet some heartache, and saved me from actually buying something that said HK on it).

If its not in stock, though, dont bother asking. They will grab the catalog from AccuSport and quote you the MSRP. I dont know if you can get them to give you a call if they get a used one in stock, I've never bothered to ask. And I think that the transfer fee if you find someone out of state that has one to sell you is like $50. Needless to say, I dont go that route. Not when the guy that lives on the next street over charges $20.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Powder Room gun range is $ 5 per half hour (read cheap). I do my gun transfers through them for $ 20. Bought my last pistol, Walther P22, through Olde English Gun Shoppe in Ginghamsburg which is just north of Vandalia. They have a lot of guns and gun stuff there. Bought my last rifle on gunbroker.com . Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron has a very large selection of guns also. I also bought a pistol at Kames in North Canton.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought both of my last two major puchases at Buckeye Outdoors and I will gladly go back for my third. Nothing but good selection service and prices.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks again guys for all the good advice. I'm now searching for a Glock 34, a G3 clone (good quality) and some AR lower receivers. I'm going to  try the above mentioned stores in the morning. I'm also thinking of going to the show tomorrow if there is one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't been an active poster on here in a while. These days I mostly just lurk around on the AR15 forum. Just stumbled onto this thread, and figured I'd better step up and defend myself just a little.  

I work at New Albany Shooting Range. So, I guess I'm one of the overpriced snobs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I haven't been an active poster on here in a while. These days I mostly just lurk around on the AR15 forum. Just stumbled onto this thread, and figured I'd better step up and defend myself just a little.  

I work at New Albany Shooting Range. So, I guess I'm one of the overpriced snobs.

Come see me sometime, I promise to try not to be too arrogant.

Rick

I know the names of all the folks I've dealt with there, and I'm sure I've never spoken with you - so you may indeed be a good guy. As for the rest of the staff and the criminally high prices? Well, I'll be nice and say there are other places I'd shop first. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice clean shop with a great selection and the range is indeed first class. But, a beautiful smile can still have tooth decay.

Judging from the amount of business there when I drive by, I'd say NASR is doing nothing wrong. They have a nest of affluent customers at their doorstep so how can I fault them for taking people's money? It's just that to alot of us internet-savvy folks, NASR is a shop catering to a certain clientele. Not us, but a clientele none the less.

I might give the place another chance sometime, perhaps I've just been very unlucky the 5 times I stopped by and was treated rude or ignored.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Rick

-Joined 2001
-Post Count=1

If that's not active, I don't know what is!  

As swingset said "I might give the place another chance sometime, perhaps I've just been very unlucky the 5 times I stopped by and was treated rude or ignored."

I still shop there, but there are other places I look to buy from first.  I am a huge fan of the range there.  Very clean, well lit.  Good ventalation.  Also good to take first time shooters.

I'll introduce myself next time I'm in.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Rick

I think NASR would do a lot more business if they would be a bit more reasonable about pricing.  As an example I asked them how much they would charge to do a FFL transfer and I was told that it would be $100!  Thanks but no thanks the Powder Room only charges $25.  

I'm not ragging on you and I know you don't control the pricing but $100 for a FFL transfer is rediculous!

Eitherway welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Bought both of my last two major puchases at Buckeye Outdoors and I will gladly go back for my third. Nothing but good selection service and prices.

Good place to shop.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I know Rick and a few of the other guys in there.  Rick is a stand-up guy and will take care of you.  Let me tell you there are some really good deals in there but you can't just wait for them to jump out and grab you.  I troll the used stuff pretty often and have found several gems.  As for not taking interest in used guns, there was a point in time when a lot of used stuff was coming in, hard times I guess, and they were full up.  I was doing my part at taking as many home as I could but I could only give so many homes.  I shop around also but it pays to start relationships all around because some of the guys at Vances and New Albany shoot at local matches once they get to know you things sort of loosen up some.  A guy I shoot with from Vances let me get the pick of the litter when the LE Glock mags could be bought by us lowly Civi's and at $9.99 each, I dropped some serious cash.  Look around, shop around and be cool in the shops.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top