Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2004 11:03:53 PM EDT
What are the range qualifications for your CCW? Does each class have their own test or do they all use the same criteria? How many hits/size of target/distance?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience was an un-timed course of fire consisting of 30rds at a B27 from 7yds.  They said the official requirements are 3 and 7yds but they figure if you can hit from 7, you can hit from 3 so we only shot at 7yds.

I'm not sure what the "technical" requirements are but I'm betting that as long as you're putting the majority of your rounds COM you're good to go.  

It's not at all stringent and I think they just want to weed those who are unsafe out or afford them additional training.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
We had to put 15 out of 18 rounds into a 9" paper plate, at 15 feet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Our class was 50 rounds total. Every stage needs 70% to pass to next stage.
1. 10 rounds at 10 feet. No time limit.
2. 10 rounds at 21 feet. No time limit.
3. 10 rounds at 21 feet in two relays. Time limit 1 minute each relay. Goal is to step up to the firing line, load 5 rounds, hit the target and do it under 1 minute. Fun test to show that it can be done easy.
4. 5 rounds at 10 feet. No time limit. Strong hand only.
5. 5 rounds at 10 feet. No time limit. Weak hand only.
6. 5 rounds at 21 feet. No time limit. Low light firing.
7. 5 rounds at 50 feet. No time limit.
Before shooting we dry fired for awhile to be sure we could operate weapon safely.
Our class was 3 days of 4 hours each and the second day a lawyer/prosecutor came in to answer our questions and to give us training on Ohio Law and Self Defense. The classes were put on by current or retired police officers.
I thought it was a great class and when I put in for my liscense, the Dep Sheriff said this class was the best in our area. Everthing I've heard was that it's about 3 times as hard as the basic NRA class and far more interesting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Ex Buckeye here :) ( moved to WA  15 yrs ago )

Shooting qual's to get a CCW ???

here in WA all you do is submit an app to your local  LEO & wait a few weeks  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The class I intend on takeing looks alot more involved then most of the ones ive seen.  Heres there Couse lineup. safeccw.com/coursefire.htm   ... Looks like alot of fun and only 100.00 to boot. The class is all in ne day, 7am to 7pm . Thinking about doing it on sept 19th, my birthday
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We had to put 15 out of 18 rounds into a 9" paper plate, at 15 feet.

Quoted:
Our class was 50 rounds total. Every stage needs 70% to pass to next stage.
1. 10 rounds at 10 feet. No time limit.
2. 10 rounds at 21 feet. No time limit.
3. 10 rounds at 21 feet in two relays. Time limit 1 minute each relay. Goal is to step up to the firing line, load 5 rounds, hit the target and do it under 1 minute. Fun test to show that it can be done easy.
4. 5 rounds at 10 feet. No time limit. Strong hand only.
5. 5 rounds at 10 feet. No time limit. Weak hand only.
6. 5 rounds at 21 feet. No time limit. Low light firing.
7. 5 rounds at 50 feet. No time limit.
Before shooting we dry fired for awhile to be sure we could operate weapon safely.
Our class was 3 days of 4 hours each and the second day a lawyer/prosecutor came in to answer our questions and to give us training on Ohio Law and Self Defense. The classes were put on by current or retired police officers.
I thought it was a great class and when I put in for my liscense, the Dep Sheriff said this class was the best in our area. Everthing I've heard was that it's about 3 times as hard as the basic NRA class and far more interesting.

Consistency, that's what I like to see. Paper plate / Full blown NRA match. Niiiiice.

I hope for my range session it involves a folding chair and a cooler of beer somehow.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
viper5194 your class looks like a fun one to shoot. I'd like to do the moving while shooting one most. Is there any low light shooting at all? When shooting low light at my class, I used up valuable time hunting my night sights because the back light behind the target frame was too bright to see the small dots. If this had been real instead of just practice, I'd have needed those precious wasted seconds. Lesson learned that I need far more low light and night shooting.
I bought a cheap Spring Air Soft Pistol to practice drawing and firing and also low light at home. I always thought that they were not accurate enough to use for practice until I tried one. It shoots to point of aim at room distance easily and while not the same as real shooting, I think it helps. I bought the M9 and plan to get the 1911 soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top