BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 8/13/2004 1:40:35 AM EDT
This is from my local paper  the sandusky register---

Concealed-gun group sues Clyde By ANDREW MOESEL
[email protected]

CLYDE

The Ohioans for Concealed Carry organization filed suit Thursday against Clyde, seeking an injunction against its ordinance banning citizens from carrying concealed firearms.

After Ohio passed the concealed weapon law April 8, several municipalities began passing ordinances attempting to ban, alter, change the state provision, said Ken Hanson, litigation section chair for OFCC.

The group sent out letters to the towns in question, Hanson said, and all but two -- Clyde and Arcanum, near Dayton -- dropped their contentions.

In early July, a warning letter was sent to both towns by the OFCC, outlining the legal arguments how a local government cannot restrict what the state has licensed, Hanson said.

"Arcanum amended their ordinance in a week, and Clyde said 'sue us,'" Hanson said.

Since that time, Clyde officials have not returned phone calls, e-mails, faxes, or letters regarding the case, Hanson said.

Clyde officials also did not return phone calls from the Register seeking comment Thursday afternoon.

"If everytime a local government disagreed with something, that government took the citizens to court, the system would break down pretty quick," he said.

Sandusky County Common Pleas Court recently instituted a temporary injunction against Clyde that prevents officials from enforcing the concealment ban.

The lawyer from Clyde did not attend the hearing to contend the order, Hanson said.

The temporary restraining order will continue until a further hearing from the court, for which a date has not been set, Hanson said.

Hanson said he was surprised that, once presented with the information and given every chance to comply, Clyde would go through with such an ordinance.

OFCC, founded in 1999, is Ohio's largest grassroots organization working to reform, defend, and enforce the state's self defense laws, a press release states.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I love to see Mayor Jackweed and his merry gangs of town councils throw up laws ad hoc. Always refreshing to see willful disregard for the letter of the law and utter incompetance is not restricted to Washington DC. We Buckeyes can be proud we elect complete tools for public office too!

Three cheers for us!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Clyde is a small city, but is dominated by Maytag or Whirlpool(?) factory.
I would think it is pretty heavy union because of that.
At the same time, the Lutheran church there has stated that they will leave the denomination if they make gay pastors the rule in that denomination.
It is a conservative area, just dominated by union Dem's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like Clyde is the home of kerrykommie dimokraps.Also sounds like the City is dumb as a fucking box of rocks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife is from that area , we end up going to Clyde at one point in time or another when we visit her parents. Now I live in a some what small town so it's not like I'm judging them cause I'm from Cleveland or some thing , but I have never in my life seen such a back words ass town in my life, the stories I hear from her younger brother who lives there are amazing. It's like stepping into a time warp , it seems like no matter what that area is about 1-2 years behind in the rest of the County in everything , style , music , technology  and now it seems politics.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top