Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/21/2003 8:43:35 PM EDT
Anyone here been to the Garand clinic at Perry, or planning on going in April?  I am planning on attending, along with a friend from Toledo area.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot find any information on it?  Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
There's nothing really on a website.  I found a mention on the CMP site, with a contact number.  I called and the lady who answered said she be getting some info together sometime around first of the year.  It is held the last weekend in April - Sat & Sun.  First half Sat is indoors classroom fundamentals.  Rest is outdoors.  They laon you a Garand.   It is $95.  Part is class cost/part is som club you need to join )Ohio High power or some such thing).  After class, they open up the CMP store and you can buy a Garand, because the class satisfies the CMP shooting requirement.

I met someone at the range this weekend who said that it is one of the best/most intense/quickest ways to get started in competition high power shooting.  Some very, very knowledgeable folks serve as instructors for the clinic. And they take you out to the range to shoot and be instructed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I will probably skip it and go to the SAFS.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
What's SAFS?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]
www.odcmp.com/NM/SAFS.htm

Small Arms Firing School
Please read this program carefully, then register on-line by clicking on "Rifle SAFS Registration" or "Pistol SAFS Registration" at the bottom of the page.
Rifle and Pistol Instruction Provided By

U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit

¥ Learn target shooting skills with service rifles and pistols

¥ Receive instruction from Army Pistol & Rifle Team Members

¥ Get coaching on the range from top military shooters

¥ Shoot on the world-famous Camp Perry ranges

¥ Enjoy the exciting National Matches environment

The Small Arms Firing Schools are great opportunities for all shooting enthusiasts — two days of top-class instruction from the nation’s best rifle and pistol shooters on the most famous range in the country!

SAFS History and Description

Small Arms Firing Schools (SAFS) were established by the Department of Defense to teach rifle and pistol National Matches competitors how to be military rifle and pistol instructors should their specialized knowledge be needed during national mobilization.  The school was founded in 1918 and the first schools that were taught at Camp Perry involved as much as a month of intense training.  Federal law continues to require the annual conduct of Small Arms Firing Schools in conjunction with the National Matches.  Today, the schools are open to all U. S. citizens; in 2002, 926 students completed the two schools.  

In the Small Arms Firing Schools, top U. S. Army and other military rifle and pistol instructors teach basic and intermediate marksmanship techniques to new and less experienced shooters.  These unique pistol and rifle schools are an important U. S. Army Marksmanship Unit outreach program.  The schools are also one of the primary ways that the CMP fulfills its statutory responsibility "to instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship."
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The CMP store is open almost daily at Camp Perry and usually has a good selection of M1903, M1917, 03A3, and M1 Rifles.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to the clinic year before last. It was a good time but high winds limited on shooting on Sunday.  Gale force winds were ripping targets from the backstop and sending them into the lake.

I would recommend you go with a buddy so you do not get teamed with a stranger. Also, do not have any firearms or ammo in your vehicle.  You are subject to searchat the gate.

This was agreat introduction to High Power shooting.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top