Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 3:05:59 AM EDT

The efforts to work out a compromise on concealed-carry have continued despite Taft's threat to veto the bill passed last week, saying it doesn't give the press and public adequate access to personal information about permit holders.

That bill would give journalists -- not the public -- access to concealed-carry records on a name-by-name basis.

Taft said negotiations focus on a proposal agreed to by him and Senate Republicans that would give journalists access to each county's database on permit holders, providing the names and counties of residence.

That falls short of Taft's initial public record demand that called for giving the public access to permit holders' names, counties of residence, and birth dates.

"In the interest of passing a bill, we think if you got names and counties that would be sufficient, just as long as there is full access to the database on the part of reporters," Taft said.

From www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/1218taft.html

So...  CCW records would be available to members of the 'press', but not to average citizens.  Last time I checked, the First Amendment applied to all.  Well, except for CFR.

How does the state administer this?  Are journalists registered and licensed?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]
My guess is that the compromise will be that anyone can have access based on specific request for specific names.  The reporters only deal really does sound hokey and seriously unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Pure horeseshit.

What else would you expect from the governor's mansion?

I think Taft knows that he is in danger of being over-ridden by the legislature, so he is trying to save face by asking for a minor change that doesn't affect the actual bill.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
So let me get this straight.  The press complains about CCW Permit information being off limits to the public, and demands public access to the records.  Taft thinks he's going to be crucified in the media, so he makes another request for a change in the bill.  The citizens of Ohio get really pissed off about the CCW records being made public, and he now sees even more people supporting CCW and realizes the House and Senate will override his veto. He then decided that he'll give only the media access to the records since they're the ones who complained and would make the biggest stink about restricting access to information.  Taft "pleases" everyone, and he gets elected president in '08.  

I think this is how Shaft thinks.  Giving information to the press is like throwing a match in a lake of gasoline.  Expecting them to keep this information "for their eyes only" is one of the funniest, most sad things I've ever heard.  The very nature of a journalist is to print what they know people will read, and if they printed every name and county of CCW permit holders in their area, you better be damn sure their circulation would be a hell of a lot higher that week.  Why not make it a 2 or 3 part series.  Save the really important people for Friday's issue.  

How much more personal information do they want to make public?  Next think you know, you'll be able to go to the clerks office and buy a complete dossier on whomever you so choose.  This is going to far.  "If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk."  Taft and the media are way past asking for a glass of milk.  Giving them the public records thing will be serving them breakfast after we let them have their way with us the night before.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, given that part of our business is pre employment background checking, I think most people here would be shocked at how much information that you regard as personal is already a matter of public record, and legally available to anyone that knows how and where to ask.  Its just a PITA for those who do not know how to go about it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Just more political BS from Taft! It really burns me up that this idiot claims to be a Republican! He knows that a veto will be over ridden.(If the House & Senate have the balls to do the right thing!) He just wants to "save face" with his urban 3-C crowd! He wants to be able to tell the "anti's" that he did everything he could to fight against those "bad guns," but I don't think he realizes just how much support he's losing by his political tapdancing. It is a pity that I can carry concealed in other states but not my "home state"the state where I pay taxes!
Hessian-1out!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top