BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 4:25:03 AM EDT
Vermilion Open Carry Shopping Day!
After the great success of all of the Self-Defense Walks, it is time for
something a little different. On most previous walks, you have been
asked to stay out of any businesses along the way. Not this one!

On Saturday, December 20th, from 12:00 to 2:00, there will be an Open
Carry Shopping Day in the Harbour Town historic district of Vermilion,
OH. Vermilion is located just to the west of Lorain on the south shore
of Lake Erie. It is a charming New England-esque area with Antique and
Gift shops, a candy-making store, and several restaurants. Many of the
nicest businesses along the route have been contacted, and a list made
up of those who welcome your business while openly armed. As well as a
list of those who do not.

So, come out for a day of holiday shopping fun! More information will be
available as the event draws near. Please contact Dan White at
[email protected] to be put on a private mailing list for updates,
and visit http://www.lorainohio.net/walk.htm for the latest information.
Hope to see you there!

--
Dan White
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Have those businesses who have stated they don't want armed persons in their store (that have been contacted) put up the proper signage stating so?  If not then it's fair game for all customers, armed or not.

Event sounds fun, wish I had time to participate.  I did the walk at the Governor's mansion.  It was a blast.  Lots of good folks came out.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Have those businesses who have stated they don't want armed persons in their store (that have been contacted) put up the proper signage stating so?  If not then it's fair game for all customers, armed or not.

There is no requirement for signage.  Private property owners can do what they want and ask whomever they want to leave the premises.    The idea that businesses open to the public MUST allow any member of the public into their private property is a popular misconception.  You have no "right" to enter private property, business or otherwise.

In this case, they were asked ahead of time.  Why anyone would want to go there now that they've made clear their anti-gun stance is a mystery to me, especially when there are so many that would be glad to have armed patrons.

fwiw
Scott
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no requirement for signage.  Private property owners can do what they want and ask whomever they want to leave the premises.    The idea that businesses open to the public MUST allow any member of the public into their private property is a popular misconception.  You have no "right" to enter private property, business or otherwise.

In this case, they were asked ahead of time.  Why anyone would want to go there now that they've made clear their anti-gun stance is a mystery to me, especially when there are so many that would be glad to have armed patrons.

fwiw
Scott

Maybe you misunderstood me.  If they haven't posted the proper signage, then I have just as much of a "right" (used liberally) to enter the business than a non-armed patron.  Now, whether they let me stay, that's another story.  I was just wondering if they had taken any proactive steps to prevent armed patrons from entering their businesses since they have expressed their disapproval for the event.

Again, Good luck w/ the event!

P.S.

Just out of curiosity, who/what are the businesses that have expressed their desire to keep armed patrons out?  If you'd prefer to email rather than post, IM me and we can go that route.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok...Yes, you're right, you can go in.  So far there is no requirement for signs...that's what got me.

In any case...  Here are the pro-carry businesses in that area:
Bittersweet Annie's Antiques & Accents
Charming little shop with antiques, collectibles, crafts, and other gifts
Brummer's Homemade Chocolates & Candies
Maker's of fine chocolates & candies since 1904
Jan's Added Touch
Nautical, Ohio State, Home Decor & other gifts. 30% off sale that weekend!
Lee's Landing
Nautical theme collectibles & unique gifts
RJ Antiques & Collectibles
Antiques, collectibles & other gifts for any occasion. Get your 10% off coupon when you sign in!
Main St. Soda Grill
Old fashioned 1930's style soda grill featuring great food, ice-cream, shakes, and other treats
Vermilion Hardware
Friendly neighborhood hardware store
And there's another one...I forget the name, but it's a "tactical paintball" store.  They were closed on Saturdays, but when the owner got word, he decided he would have his store open for business to show his support for carry in Ohio.

Here are the anti-gunners:
Encore Shoppe
Papa Joe's
Victorian Country Cottage

And here's a Class-d liquor license:
Old Prague Restaurant  So, no firearms allowed, but the food is good.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok...Yes, you're right, you can go in.  So far there is no requirement for signs...that's what got me.

In any case...  Here are the pro-carry businesses in that area:
Bittersweet Annie's Antiques & Accents
Charming little shop with antiques, collectibles, crafts, and other gifts
Brummer's Homemade Chocolates & Candies
Maker's of fine chocolates & candies since 1904
Jan's Added Touch
Nautical, Ohio State, Home Decor & other gifts. 30% off sale that weekend!
Lee's Landing
Nautical theme collectibles & unique gifts
RJ Antiques & Collectibles
Antiques, collectibles & other gifts for any occasion. Get your 10% off coupon when you sign in!
Main St. Soda Grill
Old fashioned 1930's style soda grill featuring great food, ice-cream, shakes, and other treats
Vermilion Hardware
Friendly neighborhood hardware store
And there's another one...I forget the name, but it's a "tactical paintball" store.  They were closed on Saturdays, but when the owner got word, he decided he would have his store open for business to show his support for carry in Ohio.

Here are the anti-gunners:
Encore Shoppe
Papa Joe's
Victorian Country Cottage

And here's a Class-d liquor license:
Old Prague Restaurant  So, no firearms allowed, but the food is good.

Scott

That's outstanding that the "anti" list is so much shorter!  Thanks for the info.  Also, what is defined as a "class d" liquor establishment?  Is it just any restaurant that serves alcohol?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If they serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, it's against ORC.

Ironically (or not), the Class-D license is ALSO the license given to grocery stores that sell alcohol on Sunday...That affects open carry without a permit, but I don't think it's a factor in hb12...however, this is not legal advice.

Yeah, I liked the shortness of that list too!
Scott
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If they serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, it's against ORC.

Ironically (or not), the Class-D license is ALSO the license given to grocery stores that sell alcohol on Sunday...That affects open carry without a permit, but I don't think it's a factor in hb12...however, this is not legal advice.

Yeah, I liked the shortness of that list too!
Scott

So I'd be in violation if I open carried in my local grocery store, simply b/c they have a liqour section?  Damn, I'm going to have to find a dry grocery store that I like.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I just saw stories about this event on two different local "10 PM" newscasts - I think it was WKYC and WOIO. In any case, neither of the stories painted the event in a good light and all the interviews with shoppers that they chose to air were negative. Comments to the effect that people are crazy and that it is just an accident waiting to happen. Well, I guess this is par for the course for these news stations...  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top