Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2003 5:11:19 PM EDT
Here's the scoop, a while back, wife gets one of those so called "RANDOM" forms for proof of insurance.... no big deal I think.... Now in October, I get 1 of these forms saying that I have been randomly chosen the first week of October.  It says if I do not produce proof, the State of Ohio will revoke my priveliges.

OK here's what bother me, I renew my plates yearly, car and bike, and sign the registration stating that "I will not operate motor vehicle with-out insurance", and have had the same policy for maybe 15yr now (same car and motorcycle).

It has been my understanding that I did not need "proof" unless a LE ask for it with a traffic stop (lawful search I would assume so I could be on my way), or in a court of law.

Now is it a fishing expediton by the state--unlawful search-- (though I have signed the registration declaring I do have insurance when I renew), no traffic stop or court appearance going on, or are they allowed to search me and say that if I did not have insurance on said date they will revoke my license....

Set me straight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The BMV is screwed up big time.  If you fail to show proof of insurance when they ask you for it through the mail, they WILL suspend your DL.  No fun when you get pulled over and arrested for not sending a letter back to the damn BMV.  Shear stupidity if you ask me. Nothing you or I can do about it though.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
By signing that paperwork when you get your registration, you are not only stating that you will not drive without insurance, but I also believe you are agreeing to these "random inquiries" from the BMV.  Check the form, it's in the fine print somewhere.

It is similiar to when you sign your drivers license.  You are actually signing a legal document that states that you will submit to chemical testing if you are suspected of DUI, or lose your license on the spot.

Read the fine print on any number of government documents.  You might be surprised at what you are actually "agreeing" to when you put your signature on the line.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I just saw this posted on another thread:

"If you think that you can trust the government, ask an Indian."

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I too got one from the Ahia BMV.  I sent what they asked for, then got a response that I needed my insurance agent to sent a document stating the same thing.

What a crock.

Thye say you have a 15 day window, but there was only 6 days left since the document was dated over a week previous, plus mail delay.

Stinkin commies...
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top