Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/15/2003 3:33:46 PM EDT
Took the dog for a walk again today. Was about 150 ft. from the end of the walk at the car lot next to my parents house when a police car with lights on pulls up in front of me. I knew instantly what it was about. As I aproached he asked why I had a gun. I said because I can open carry in ohio. He said no, that it wasn't legal in ohio, I insisted that it was and refrenced Klein Vs. Leis and that the S Court ruled I can.  HE asked to take possesion of the weapon and I allowed him to so he would relax. Within about a minute two other cars arived boxing me and the dog in.  The third officer to arrive knew about the court case. After a minute talking and citing the case and that it basically let me carry and that it wasn't inducing panic. He said he was just waiting until someone tested it out locally. They ran my ID and the serial number on the glock. While I was talking to the third officer the first was looking real closely at my carry ammo(aguila IQ). When all my info came back clean they had a little pow-wow. I talked to a kid that was doing a ride along with the first officer. They came back, handed me back my gun and ammo, the first officer suggested I practice my civil rights in a different way which I quickly dismissed and told them that if they thought is was necessary I would carry the gun more conspicously. They had suggested that it was possible that my jacket might blow over my gun and then it would be concealed. I reloaded the gun and placed it back in the holster. The third officer said it was becoming more common and that he knew about the walk in Cinci, and that there was going to be one in Youngstown. I then told them goodby and to have a safe day. The third officer said " good job, that took balls man". I again said goodby and went home.

The second officer didn't say much at all. He was a township cop and seemed to just be backing up the other two.

The only thing I found wierd is that the first officer never patted me down. He took my gun and then they all proceded to turn their backs on me and talk. If I was a threat I would have thought he would pat me down.

They asked me if I was going home so that they wouldn't get any more calls. I stayed really calm the whole time and the dog seemed to be pretty relaxed to he usually tries to jump up on people but he really just laid down when I told him too.

My family got a good laugh that people were calling the cops because an armed man was walking a little dog around town.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Bravo Rick
That did take some balls, but thats what needs to be done to change things. I wonder who called the cops on you. probably a nosy old lady.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually it was pretty funny. There was this little old lady walking by and she came up and asked me afterwards what "me and my little doggie had done". I told her that they saw that I was carrying a firearm and that they were just checking to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. She just smiled and kept walking.

I could see where the cops had stopped me from my parents house and they sat there and talked with the lights on for like 10 more minutes. Not alot happens in our town, vandalism is pretty much a calling all cars occurrance.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Good job.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Open carry is all well and good but until "they" get used to it, I suspect one will get rousted, I.D.ed, and serial number on the gun expected be checked too.
Good job, Gc223!
I may have waited for them to leave the scene before reloading, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job.  That DID take balls of steel, to remain cool like that and not falter in your delivery.

Someday, hopefully, we all should be so lucky, even us poor bastards in this liberal wasteland.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't mind me askin, what city/county?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Newton Falls, southwest corner of Trumbull county. Population of about 5000. We have a full time police force of about a dozen officers, and ALOT of part time officers. The city hires officers straight out of the accademy and pays them a pitance but gives them experience. A couple of the people I graduated HS with are local officers. I didn't know any of the officers that showed up this time which is unusuall.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya know I'm thinking about doing this myself. Being in the middle of a shitstorm, just my style.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess those guys didn't get the word.  We've known this for years.  The faster the word gets out, the faster the CCW law will go through.  FWIW I will not arrest for open carry or any other ancillary charge that might be made to fit.  Someone would actually have to do something illegal.  Expect however that there are other cops in this state that do not know the law and have not been trained on the SC descision, it is still very new in terms of the normal cop method of information dissemination.  BTW, in light of the wording of the SC I would recommend that if asked why you are carrying to say specifically that it is for self defense.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I guess those guys didn't get the word.  We've known this for years.  The faster the word gets out, the faster the CCW law will go through.  FWIW I will not arrest for open carry or any other ancillary charge that might be made to fit.  Someone would actually have to do something illegal.  Expect however that there are other cops in this state that do not know the law and have not been trained on the SC descision, it is still very new in terms of the normal cop method of information dissemination.  BTW, in light of the wording of the SC I would recommend that if asked why you are carrying to say specifically that it is for self defense.

I knew there was a reason I liked you shotar. You gonna make it to GR on Oct 25th?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Will try for the 25th.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder what the Cleveland PD would do if I walked down Lorain Ave. with my HK on my hip...

I think I know the answer to that.

Good job GC223.  Bold indeed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Ohio has had open carry for ages. I just wish the chiefs would have the balls not to cave in to the soccer moms, and have the dispatchers dispatch officers to something which isn't illegal. This will continue to be an issue until the brass grows a set...
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
<snip>
and that there was going to be one in Youngstown
<snip>

This one ought to be interesting. Hope they keep it on the main roads. I could see it getting ugly in certain neighborhoods. ;)

Good job Guncrazy223! The Falls is kinda small, but spread the word and let that stuff spread.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone try open carry in PA or VA?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Good job Guncrazy!  

One question, with all th hoohah about accessible firearms in vehicles do you think they would have treated this differently if you were in your car?

I'm also wondering what other "Gotcha's" we need to be aware of if planning to open carry?  Does anyone know of any local ordinces that prohibit or make spceial rules about open carrying in Columbus and suburban areas.  What places are we not allowed to open carry?

I'm very curious because I just might try open carry...

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Open carry in a car would be illegal.  The charge would be improper transport in a motor vehicle.  A misdemeanor.

FWIW, those doing this should consider themselves in their own way similar to the freedom riders of the 60s.  

This shall only seek to hasten the legislature to the only logical course of action.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
have the dispatchers dispatch officers to something which isn't illegal.

You can bet this call came in as "a man walking around with a gun."  The soccer mom who made the frantic call from her cell phone more than likely did not bother to include the information about the gun being holstered.

Dispatchers have to send officers based on the information that is received.  Dispatchers have no way of telling if they are getting the whole story.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#20]
When I get in the car the gun is removed from the holster, all ammo is removed from the gun. The gun is then placed in plain view, either in a holster in the passenger or back seat with the slide locked open or the same without the holster. I usually keep the ammo on my person. I know better than to break any of the laws that we currently have (if unsure look up title 2923 of the ORC). When your trying to make a point about being a responsible and legal gun-owner breaking the law isn't a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
When I get in the car the gun is removed from the holster, all ammo is removed from the gun. The gun is then placed in plain view, either in a holster in the passenger or back seat with the slide locked open or the same without the holster.

Then What The Fuck Are you going to do if you need it?

Chirst sake man!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#22]
college cop, the problem is the dispatchers will not ask the pertinent questions. The info goes in their ear, and out their mouth with nothing taking place in between. Some protocol must be established on how to deal with open carry. At some point a pissing match will ensue. Not all people are as reasonable as GC223...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I get in the car the gun is removed from the holster, all ammo is removed from the gun. The gun is then placed in plain view, either in a holster in the passenger or back seat with the slide locked open or the same without the holster.

Then What The Fuck Are you going to do if you need it?

Chirst sake man!

Not only that but I feel all the gunhandling when getting in and out of cars is actually less safe than leaving it in the holster.  This is really stupid!  This issue need to be resolved in a logical manner, ASAP!

If I'm carrying my Glock I will always have one in the chamber or cocked and locked if I have my 1911.  So I would have to unholster, unload and store both the ammo and firearm in seperate containers everytime I get in my car, yeah, that's sounds really good...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Niiiiice, Guncrazy.  I'm glad it went down smoothly, and that at least one of the officers knew the story.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Virginia has an open carry law as well.

I've mentioned to some friends that I run with that I would like to open carry more. If we don't exercise the rights we fight for, what do we fight for them for?

Most of them say it wouldn't be a good idea and advise against it. They say it's not worth it to get stopped by the police all the time and justify why you're carrying. I say it is.

The more people who open carry the safer our society will be. The more people who open carry, the more accustomed to it the gun grabbers will get, and eventually stop calling the police every time they see someone walking down the street with a holstered gun.

I would be very interested to see the response times on all three of those officers compared to their response times on say a domestic violence call.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Its a real small town that was flattened completely once by a Tornado.  My guess is that their response times would be about the same.

I agree on dispatcher training, however every irate, scared, and confused soccer mom is really just impetus to get a logical CCW law passed.

In truth, and maybe if we have any attorneys on board they could answer this, but I gotta think the SC descision may even have nullified certain local ordinances pertaining to open carry.  The only thing I don't think it would affect would be local handgun registration ordinances.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Well first of all the gun can be pretty easily accessed if it was necessary but it would take a few seconds and we all know that when it counts that can be too long. I never really thought about the increased risk of continually loading and unloading. I am always very careful, but it's true that since basic weapon handling skills are not required to carry openly that someoneelse might not be.

I would suspect that it took longer for them to respond on my call since I was on the move. They were supposedly getting calls and trying to track me down. I do walk at like 3-4 mph . The police here are nothing if not diligent. They don't get alot of calls for things other than kids with stereo's that are too loud, and whatnot. I know that in my youth we had the police called on us a few time for playing hide and go seek after curfew. Two or three units would often respond to that, though kids playing hide and go seek are usually pretty hard to find.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Virginia has an open carry law as well.

I've mentioned to some friends that I run with that I would like to open carry more. If we don't exercise the rights we fight for, what do we fight for them for?

Hey, when Im in VA and if we ever meet up I'll open carry with you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I wonder what the Cleveland PD would do if I walked down Lorain Ave. with my HK on my hip...

I think I know the answer to that.

Good job GC223.  Bold indeed.

i'll have to ask a few of my CPD friends that work in different precinct's.

i've also informed my wife not to freak out when she starts seeing people open carrying.  she would be the type to call the police.  i haven't seen anything on the news as of yet about open carrying in the NE.  i guess after one of the walks, the news will be all over it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I would suspect that it took longer for them to respond on my call since I was on the move. They were supposedly getting calls and trying to track me down. I do walk at like 3-4 mph . The police here are nothing if not diligent. They don't get alot of calls for things other than kids with stereo's that are too loud, and whatnot. I know that in my youth we had the police called on us a few time for playing hide and go seek after curfew. Two or three units would often respond to that, though kids playing hide and go seek are usually pretty hard to find.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top