Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 8:38:41 AM EDT
use the following form letter, modify it to meet your own needs.  Send it to:
The Mayor
The Chief of Police
The Sheriff
Etc.

The fax number at the bottom is for Ohioans for Concealed Carry.  They are going to make a web page with all the responses.  If you don't want it to go there, change the form.

Form follows:

To Whom It May Concern,

On Wednesday, September 24th, 2003 the Ohio Supreme Court ruled in Klein v. Leis indicating Ohio Revised Code 2923.12 and 2923.16 (prohibits carrying concealed firearms) are not unconstitutional.

However, the court stated that the fundamental right to bear arms for defense and security, protected by the Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4 is protected by a citizen’s ability to carry a firearm openly in the state of Ohio.

For instance, a citizen can exercise their rights under the Ohio Constitution by putting a loaded firearm into an openly visible holster on their belt, but they may not conceal the firearm.

So long as this citizen is not breaking any other laws that prohibit possession of a firearm, their actions are deemed not only legal, but also constitutionally protected.

Based on this ruling, I have some questions that I would like you to answer:

Will I be arrested for walking through town with an openly visible firearm holstered on my belt?

Are there any local ordinances that prohibit this that would be enforced?

If there are local ordinances, do you foresee those ordinances being unconstitutional in light of the Ohio Supreme Court’s mandate that openly carrying a firearm is a fundamental right protected by our State Constitution?

I would appreciate a response in writing.

Please deliver it to my attention via facsimile to (330) 908-2881 at your earliest convenience, or contact me at the number below.

Sincerely,

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top