Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/16/2003 8:55:16 AM EDT
It's probable that I'll be moving to Ohio soon.  Is it true that there is no rifle hunting for deer in Ohio?  Why?

Doug
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Shotgun with slug only...  or a muzzleloader.

Yep.

I guess Ohio is too flat for rifle hunting for deer.  I guess all the woodchucks I shoot with my .22-250 is too dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I think varmint is the only exception.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The  concern as that while the eastern half of the state is somewhat hilly or mountainous, the western half is about as flat as flatland gets.  There is also a realatively high population density.  These concerns are the proactical reasons for this law.  Valid reasons or not, thats the way things are.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Even with the short range slugs we still seem to rack up a pretty decent hunter kill rate each year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I lived in Wyoming for a while, and the guys I hunted with all thought that I was BS-ing them about shotgun-only deer hunting.  They couldn't believe that you could get close enough to take a deer with a shotgun. Just to prove them wrong, I harvested a nice eight-point whitetail with my trusty ol' 870. I didn't have to buy a drink for a while after that day!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Just had a thought, if I had a .45 sub gun and take the stock off of it, put a 5 rounder in it, would that be ok to hunt with? Or do fish and game go by the ATF and still classify t as a rifle?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe it is pistol only...

I got a clarification with the GW in Medina county a few years ago, as I have a Marlin lever action .44mag.  I wanted to know if I could use it during gun season.  I was told it would be a no-go, as it was a rifle, not a pistol...

My uncle has a S&W Mdl. 29 .44mag with a 10 1/2" barrel...  He can use that, but I couldn't use my 16" barrel lever gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think that .45 ACP is allowed for deer in Ohio.  That may have changed, but I don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#9]
For deer hunting, you can use a muzzle loading rifle of .38 caliber or larger.  As far as handguns go, the handguns must have a barrel length of 5 inches or greater, use straight walled cartridges and be .357 caliber or larger.

The regs are on page 10 and 11 of this document: www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/PDF/Pub%20085.pdf
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
In addition to 357 dia or larger it also has to have loaded length of 1" or longer.  
357 mag, 41 Rem mag, 44 Rem mag, 454, 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh, 500 S&W would all work.
really if you think about it, there isn't much deadlier at close range than a 12ga slug. 1oz of lead at 68 caliber, devastating!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Another point worth mentioning is that you'll need to 'plug' your magazine if your using a pump or semi-auto.  Three rounds is the limit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you talking about shotguns? I didn't think you had to "plug" them, just not put more shells then allowed in.

If I needed to minimize to mag. capasity could I just counter sink a pin in the mag body to stop the floor plate from traveling as mutch? or do you think that would interfere with the spring to mutch?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Shotguns have to be plugged. It's not a matter of only having three rounds in the mag, you can't have the (capablity) of putting more than 3.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are you talking about shotguns? I didn't think you had to "plug" them, just not put more shells then allowed in.

If I needed to minimize to mag. capasity could I just counter sink a pin in the mag body to stop the floor plate from traveling as mutch? or do you think that would interfere with the spring to mutch?

It's gotta be plugged.

The easiest way is to get a piece of 3/8" dowell rod.  If you mag holds four rounds, cut a piece  5-1/2" long (equal to two 2-3/4" shells). Take some sandpaper and bevel/round the ends. Remove your mag cap and drop the 'plug' down inside the mag spring. Put the mag cap back on and you're ready to hunt. Just remember to remove the plug in the off-sesson, it could draw moisture and thus cause rust. Or you could just put some varnish on the plug and leave it in the mag tube.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top