Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/4/2003 12:24:38 PM EDT
It is time for the yearly D-Day invasion on lake Erie!

On Sept.20 the U.S> Navy will be bringing out troop landing ships, and G.I.s will be hitting the beach in the small town of Conneaut.

Resisiting them will the be best (re-enactors) the German army has to throw against them.

If you are into WWII, history, firepower, or  just like seeing crap blown up, this is the place for you.

There will be period encampments set up for all to look through, and two battles for the public to see.

There will be weapons here that you normally only see in museums, and others that you won't even see there.

Here is a link to some pictures taken last year. (These suck, I could not find the good ones from the year before)

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=54082

It is free to get in and watch, and is always a great show. I will post some of my own pictures of last years event as I get the time in the next couple of days.

In case you wondered, the SS guys are not allowed there this year.

If you have any questions, please contact me, I will be more than happy to answer.

This is a show that should not be missed.

Some of my pictures from last year.

Loading the ships.

Loading the infantry

Vehicle lander heading out.

Hitting the beach.

The defences.

The battle.

Let me just add that being in direct line of fire of that thing 75 feet away and 30 feet up a hill is still hot and scary as hell.

The end for the Axis.

Um, yep, that's me at the bottom of that pile.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Ober's germans really do look good enough to shoot.  Please don't as they are the only decent ones we have left and we really do need them to provide this most excellent and well performed entertainment to continue so that future generations may remember.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Campy, come up with a basic uniform, and I can get you on one of those landing ships.

I'll have to double check your ammo though!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Ober:

The only mil pattern rifles I have are my AR, and post war Soviet era stuff.  Can we work that into the mix?  Also, is there perhaps a flier that you could post?  I need to send the info to my X so she can take my son, its her weekend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My buddy will probably be there with his Weasel...

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll definately be there! I met obershutze916
briefly at last years D-Day Reinactment. The battles were pretty Damn Cool  It was fun walking around looking at all the period vehicles, guns and talking to the reinacters who are very informative about WW2 facts.
I was up on the bluff a ways from the flamethrower and I still felt the heat when that thing went off
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Shotar,  I sent an IM, I think!!  Just in case here is a link for the event to send to the x.

www.geocities.com/ddayconneaut/
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got an email from my buddy...

The Weasel will not be there.  The tracks are in the shop getting restored.  Damn!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Myself and my Dad will be making the trip!

I'll wear my AR15.com T-shirt!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ober:

The only mil pattern rifles I have are my AR, and post war Soviet era stuff.  Can we work that into the mix?  Also, is there perhaps a flier that you could post?  I need to send the info to my X so she can take my son, its her weekend.

Over half of the "German" troops defending the beaches that day were "Ost Battalions" considting of Russians, Poles, Czechs, Mongols, Koreans etc, I think we can work you in there somewhere  

Link to the event organizers www.panzerdivision.org/D-Day.htm
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My buddy will probably be there with his Weasel...

www.garysbunker.netfirms.com/Gary%20and%20Tom,%20D-Day.jpg

www.garysbunker.netfirms.com/Parade%208-25-02.jpg

Oh yes, the weasel, also known as the American vehicle that is so impervious to any German caliber that the G.I. can just stand up fully exposing himself to fire without being hurt.  We know the vehicle well....we fear its power. (note the sarcasm there)

The vehicle would probably never make it across the beach anyway.  It has to be the worst beach ever, mostly large flat stone. More damage would be done to the tracks than would be worth it.

Anyone who want to find me, just head over to the German encampment to the right side of the beach.  We will be the ones with the cannon in the picture above. I am XO of first squad. (wo ho, just got promoted!)

Heck you need to come just to watch the G.I.s beat the crap out of me... we don't surrender, and have shot our own unit commander for trying to one year.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#13]
For those who don't know me I will try to wear a bulletfest shirt.  I plan on coming our saturday.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
The battles are at noon and 4pm.  Things really never get going on time, but get there early to look around, walk through the encampments, talk with the re-enactors - and get a good seat.

I understand now that the History Channel and the BBC will both be out to film this event.

The first battle is usually the best because the G.I.'s are not so tired, and the Germans have more ammo.

The event is Saturday only for the public. There are other things to do for the re-enactors Friday night.

I'll see you there Shotar.

Easy directions from anywhere south of Cleveland:

I-90 east to exit 241 (route 7)  Turn north, go to Lake Rd.  Go left.  The park is on the right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Has a rally point been set up for Arfcom members on Saturday?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I have found out that our 150mm cannon will not be making the trip.

To find me, just look for the small flag that is the same as my avitar.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Hows the weather going to be?  I was figuring that Isabella was going to rain on us all weekend.  So Mugzilla will have his ARFCOM shirt on, and Shotar will have bulletfest garb, and Ober with his flag.  Look for the dirtiest pair of Justin lacers in the crowd and my size 12's will be in them and I'll have a ST2 cover.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Will they still do the landing with the forcast for 7 to 10 foot seas for saturday? Is there a hurricane contingency plan?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered my ar15.com t-shirt, but it won't be here in time. I'll have to see what I can wear to identify me
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I ordered my ar15.com t-shirt, but it won't be here in time. I'll have to see what I can wear to identify me

Just bring your range bucket with you....  

I thought Isabel was going to grace us with her presence on Friday and be gone by Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Will they still do the landing with the forcast for 7 to 10 foot seas for saturday? Is there a hurricane contingency plan?

We have never had that problem before.  Last year one of the landing craft beached itself for about 45 minutes.  Just about everyone was sea sick by time the landings took place.

If the weather is bad, the better it will be for us, maybe we can hold the beach this time.

I am also bringing our new V-3 secreat weapon.  My dad.  Put him in the G.I. camp, and the snoreing will make them surrender before any shooting starts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Ike sent them out in the middle of a north sea gail. Tail end of a lil' ol hurricane should add to the realism hat
Hope to make it and see some arf.comers there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Everybody put a 30rdr in their back pocket!  That should make everyone easy to identify.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, the battle was Glorious.  the Heine's were dug in deep on the cliff's over looking Lake Erie the channel.  Allied airpower including a couple of Tupolev's swept in and pounded the huns.  Then brave and gallant US and British forces swept ashore from with the Navy's brave assistance.  The Germans put up a heck of a fight, mortars, machine gun and rifle fire rained down upon the Gallant liberators.  They were not having an easy time of it and it was slow going but they were able to fight their way past the defenders to secure their beachhead.

In the second battle of the day, presumably further down the coast, the rotters were waiting for them.  As soon as the ships were in sight Gunfire erupted, they even fired on a small observation plane.  The Allied forces fought tooth and nail absorbing horrible losses.  One squad finally broke through using a bangalore torpedo.  The Krauts rained down grenades and small arms fire.  One gallant ranger was able to through back a potatomasher, opening a breach.  He bravely jumped in and finished off the beast with his KaBar.  He then performed a Sgt York menuever while his comrades were able to sweep in behind him and route the west of the Hun line.  Flamethrowers lighting up pill boxes and allied armor grinding an attempt to outflank the heros into the dust.  The issue was in doubt until the final break through, the allies had suffered terrible losses on this front.  Finally the day was saved.  Our own Ober fought bravely never surrendering and finally taking out a trooper before dieing at his post.  The French resistance chick was somewhat hot, but seemed to have a very bad attitude.  

All in all, a wonderful show.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to say the show was glorious! I saw it last year and this year was much better. Among the war planes flying overhead was a P-51 Mustang! Lots of rifle and machine gun fire. Halftracks,Willy's Jeeps and Dodge War Wagons were plentiful. There was the History Channel helicopter flying overhead filming for an upcoming special. Smudge and I sat and watched the battle. I was looking for shotar and obershultz but couldn't find them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#26]
hStay tuned!

Ober informed me that the P51 was a 3/4 sized replica. Now I'm wondering, where'd they find a 9 cyl. Rolls Royce Merlin?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#27]
The Colonel and I arrived about 1250, found a parking spot 20 feet behind the Ranger battalion CP, and watched the invasion from right benind a park bench directly above the western German position.  Why folks arrived early was beyond us -- maybe it's clean living?  Had to use just a touch of 4x4 to clear the parking lot.

She took some nice photos but usually monopolized my Steiner 7x50s.

If that P51 is a scale model it's wonderful!  Sound didn't seem quite right, but we assumed it was throttled back for the run.  Made one run below cliff level.  The painted up AT6s represented something or other.  Russian I recognized.  A faux P51 has gotta get flown more than a real one!  And this one looks just fine in the air.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got home...............

Thanks for the great reviews guys.  I knew anyone who saw it would enjoy the event.  Most of the good heavy weapons didn't even make it out there this year, and the Navy did all they could to screw it up, but it was still a lot of fun.

I would like to say it is hard work, but that has to go to the G.I.s running across that horrible beach.  Anyone who went out on to that beach knows what I mean by that.

As usual...we lost.  Sooner or later we will get lucky enough and win one.

The P-51 was a great sight even though it was not real.  For the cost of a real one though, I would take the 3/4 scale version. I heard it making a pass right at us, but couldn't see it.  The plane sounded like a toy.  It sure was pretty in those D-Day invasion stripes though.

All in all, I died twice that day, but the crowd loved it.

I'm glad all who came enjoyed it. Too bad I only got to see two of you this year.

I will let you know about next years event as soon as I find out about it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok. I think I've got this thing down. I've edited my video into a 2.1 megabite windows media file. Some compromises were made to keep the file size down so quality isn't what I'd like it to be but the Hi res file was in excess of 7 megs...
You will need Windows media 8 codecs to view it or download it, yer chioce. Had to set up a FTP account with my son.. Complements to deadbird for the space. I've just tried it and it works for me.

Enjoy

http://216.150.162.189/smudge/d_day03.wmv

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Turned out pretty good Smudge. This reinactment was a Blast!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Smudge, that video clip rocks....and you didn't even have a good seat!!!!!!

I will have some other pictures to post tonight.

BTW, who was it that e-mailed me, Capitalist, or Engineer?  I don't remember your real name!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Smudge, that video clip rocks....and you didn't even have a good seat!!!!!!

I will have some other pictures to post tonight.

BTW, who was it that e-mailed me, Capitalist, or Engineer?  I don't remember your real name!!!

Wasn't me who emailed you. I sent you a few IM's a while back.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It's probably Capitalist.  I wasn't able to make the re-enactment due to some prior commitments, but from Smudge's video, it looked like a blast!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top