Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/1/2003 11:30:28 AM EDT
Guys,

I got the job offer today and it looks good so I've got until Monday to make up my mind.

If Bulletfest was every month, it would be a no brainer. LOL

Doing a quick search of pricing and availability, my initial impression of where to live is either Mentor or Stow.

Your input on these areas or others would be appreaciated.

The company location is SE Cleveland second exit north from 480 off 271.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick Mentor over Stow.  The access to the Lake for a boater is fantastic.  We went out last night after work for a cookout and to watch the sunset.  Can't be beat.  I have lived in both cities and would choose mentor each and every time.  The ODNR range is about the same distance from either.  Besides, then you can get the city resident rates on dockage at the Marina.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Mentor is OK. I live there. Shotar is right about easy access to lake Erie. My Brother has a dock at the Marina and lives there all summer. If you pick it, hope you don't have claustrophobia cause it's almost fully developed. Very little open land that doesn't have a house on it. High school is the biggest in the state if that's a consideration... Grand River O.D.N.R range is about 45 a minute drive.... Also a consideration, Snodes is a 2 hour drive from Mentor...
Don't know beans about Stow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Stow is Stow....too many yuppies and wall to wall houses...lots of developement going on and all the open spaces are disappearing. It's in Summit County so the taxes are a bit lower but you are kinda stuck pretty far from lake erie. Of course you are closer to the portage lakes but I don't know weither or not you can get dock space there..

Are you working in Solon or Bedford Hts? (you don't have to answer if you don't want or can't)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell you the truth I don't know where the company is.  It's logo like most in the area says Cleveland but I'm sure it's not since it is so far out SE. It's two exits north of 480 on 271.

I kind of came up with my choices by cost of housing based on an internet search.  Of the places I looked these two communities offered the most housing for the dollar and are within my 1 hour commute limit.

What I would really like is a small place in the country but getting within the 1 hour may be hard if not impossible.

God, I hate being right up against my neighbors.  Where I'm at now, in the summer anyway, I have total privacy.  In the winter, we stick out like a sore thumb.  We are on a hill.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in Akron due to the cheaper good neighborhoods on the west end. The traffic slogging up thru the lights of Rt8 up to 271 is not fun at all, but the run up I77/271 is simple until you get to congestion near the Macedonia-Bedford section. I make a few trips to Fairport Harbor for nice steelhead and perch fishing. The 350 acre Tusco Rifle Club is in Midvale, just S of New Philadelphia, which includes a FA clean up what you shoot up area.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Two exits north of 480 sounds sorta like the Mayfield hts area.  That makes Lake county even more attractive.  Taxes in lake co are comparable to Summit co.  Its a bit further trip to meet the NE Ohio crew for the plateshoots, but other than that it offers instant access boating and the mentor lagoons Marina, owned and operated by the city of Mentor is the best on lake Erie, no river, no debris, secure safe harbor, been there for 17 years now and will not move.  I've looked at them all, and none are better without going to a high cost Yacht club.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of companies like the "status" of being based in Cleveland, even though some are not even close.
To find out where your new company is, type in the phone number, including the area code (216 IS Cleveland) probably 440,  on google.
Right in the search box and enter.
Maps will even come up for you.
All you need is a valid, listed phone number for anyone to find out where they are located.
I hope your move goes well, it's getting warm around here AND the state tax just went up a penny.
(Mentor does sound better with the lake breeze about now)
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:24:28 AM EDT
[#8]
forget Mentor!!My sister lives there, traffic is a disaster on SR 306. Your boat would be better suited for the Portage Lakes than Lake Erie. What's wrong with Hudson???We border Stow to the north. Stow has quite a mix of housing, the have, and the have nots. Hudson is better established and has a very nice "downtown"area. I'm not putting down Stow, one of my pals lives there and really likes it. PS. My next door neighbor's house is for sale. I've been after ponydriver to relocate, but he refuses!!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys I can't tell you how great it is that you all are so supportive.  I've actually gotten alot of really good ideas from the posts and phone calls.

I'll check Hudson out.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Boat is too big for the portage lakes, Fine for Lake Erie, we have many of that model in our place.  Given the location of the Employer South Mentor or concord would be the ideal locations, 15 to 20 minute commute.  Mentor is now building a second 90 exit at 615.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#11]
You do realize that if you move there you will have to join us at the plate shoots at tusco.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#12]
it's about time they built a ramp at 615. The backup on 90 at 306 during rush hour is horrendous!!!!!I think TJ would be a nice addition to Hudson. Mentor is a zoo!!!!!!way too congested. When TJ moves here, I nominate Shotar for a welcome to Ohio cookout at his house. We can all swap lies about our prowess with the ladies and firearms, and Shotar can tell us about his 10,000++++++arrests!!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]
4379, added two this weekend.  When I hit 10k I'll throw a party.  7 years working for CMHA adds up to alot of arrests.  Also we do the cookouts at the boat. Much easier that way.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You do realize that if you move there you will have to join us at the plate shoots at tusco.

If I move you can count on it. All you guys have been great in helping me out. Sorry I missed you at Bulletfest. I should have looked for the most AKs and said are you Ober?

This weekend is decision time. I landed the contract to start my own business here today and have the job offer from cleveland in my pocket.  Now it's which way to leap and will seek the wifes input this weekend.

As for Shotar, I plan on buying him a steak one way or the other.  My sister lives in Elyria so I'm up that way now and then regardless of where I live. Shotar's been a great help and hell, I have a weak spot for LEO's anyway.  Afterall, they get to carry a sidearm on them in plain sight. As Billy would say, cooooooool.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Good luck on your house hunting. I can't give you much help on housing in the radius you specified as I'm a little outside of that area.
(Streetsboro) I'm lucky to have three acres here, plus my parents have another 14 across town. I wouldn't recommend it since your have a school age son IIRC, and the school system here sucks. (Doesn't matter to me since mine is beyond that age.)

There is quite a bit of undeveloped land in the boonies of Portage county if you don't mind the drive.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd go for Mentor.  The area is great, schools are good, and the people are pretty genuine.  I grew up in Painesville (next town East).  You'll love boating on Lake Erie.  Plus, they have the best Pizza shop in the State.  I dream about P&P's Pizzeria!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What I would really like is a small place in the country but getting within the 1 hour may be hard if not impossible.

God, I hate being right up against my neighbors.  Where I'm at now, in the summer anyway, I have total privacy.  In the winter, we stick out like a sore thumb.  We are on a hill.  

I think I mentioned the town in an earlier post about this, but I'll say it again.  If you want country living, and you're thinking about Mentor, there is a town that is right on I-90 near Mentor/Painsesville called "Leroy."  I still have some friends that live out there, and it's about as country as you can get around there and still have good access to the freeway.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
forget Mentor!!My sister lives there, traffic is a disaster on SR 306. Your boat would be better suited for the Portage Lakes than Lake Erie. What's wrong with Hudson???We border Stow to the north. Stow has quite a mix of housing, the have, and the have nots. Hudson is better established and has a very nice "downtown"area. I'm not putting down Stow, one of my pals lives there and really likes it. PS. My next door neighbor's house is for sale. I've been after ponydriver to relocate, but he refuses!!!!

can you find a house in Hudson for under 350,000.00   ?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah, mine!!!! you can find some really nice 2400 sq ft center hall colonials on about 3/4 of an acre for about 225,00-250,00. Then again, you can spend a couple million too if you wish....
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
you're in luck. i have lived in both mentor and stow.
currently mentor.
they are roughly equivalent suburbs. proportionate to cleve/akron. if you like liberal democrats, live in stow. lots of kent and akron u students live in stow also.
if you want to live in the republican oasis of the greater cleve area, move to mentor. the lake can't be beat. state park with beaches near by (headlands) great freway accesss- your no more than an hour from any point in n.e. ohio. yeah, downtown is buisy, but that's just the blood of freedom being circulated . lot's of shopping and restaraunts.
if you make it here, look me up at Forrest Vacuum on Mentor ave. i'll help you get a great sweeper to keep that carpet looking new . i can also turn you on to a couple of great gun clubs.

if you have any specific questions, im or email me.

oh, if it matters, akron is not nfa friendly. lake county is.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top