Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/9/2003 1:23:07 PM EDT
Well, this has been the most exciting thing that's happened on campus in awhile.  So far the local news have reported that the man has either a shotgun or a <gasp> machine gun </gasp>

---------------------
http://wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=5694

Gunfire, hostage situation at Case Western Reserve

POSTED: Friday, May 09, 2003 4:41:33 PM
UPDATED: Friday, May 09, 2003 5:04:43 PM

CLEVELAND -- Two have been shot and hostages have been taken at Case Western Reserve University Friday afternoon.

A security guard at the Peter B. Lewis building says an armed man who was not a student entered the building at about 4:10 p.m. Friday afternoon.

According to the Associated Press, a woman inside the building says two people have been shot. It's believed the armed man has hostages.

Bonnie Copes, an administrative assistant who is locked inside the building says she heard several gunshots beginning around 4 p.m.

Copes says emergency medical workers could not get in to help two people who were hurt.

Emergency crews, police, and SWAT are on the scene. The nearby Cleveland Botanical Gardens have been evacuated.

The Lewis building is in the Mather Quad section of the campus of Case Western, at the corner of Ford and Bellflower roads.

Case is located in University Circle, a 550-acre, park-like concentration of approximately 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions located just east of downtown Cleveland.

It has a total enrollment of 9,530 students.

Stay tuned to this story on wkyc.com and Channel 3 for regular updates.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got done watching it on TV. I particularly like the "semi auto machine gun" comment!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, WKYC news is doing their best to sensationlize this story on the news - apparently they don't have any details at the moment so their doing their best to toss out as many scary words as possible ....  machine guns ... terror ... assault rifles ... fear ... remind me again why I watch the news?

But just in case anybody is interested, the FBI SWAT team uses EO Tech's on their AR's and carry 1911's as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah... Was very interseted when they showed the film of the SWAT team getting ready.  Unfortunately a truck passed in front after the one member inserted a clip into his AR.  I was watching to see if he chambered one.  Also was hoping for a good look at the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Would you say we have affirmative defense now Energizer?  Dverba?

At 1800 they were not letting people out of Severance Hall.....

Scott
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#5]
A tec-9 a vest and military garb,sounds like a combination of street hood and terrorist, but can't figure this for a 50 year old guy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
First thing I did when I learned of this I turned on 100.1 WNIR out of Akron , they were taking calls , the first caller ( not the host ) immediately starts in on this is why the AWB should be renewed. It was just like DAMNIT , this is all we need 5 months before the sunset .I’m sure we all feel this way right now . Also in all seriousness, people did loose their lives today (not that it could have easily been a car accident) but still life was lost. And families are grieving. I could say that a little prayer is not out of the question
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
People do not understand...  He could have used any shotgun picked up at any sporting goods store just as easily...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked the comment in the paper by the FBI agent "Cleveland has a very, very good swat team". It's a shame the whole thing happened.

SO he used a tech 9 hun? anyone know what kind of shotgun was used... even the plain feeler did not have much info this morning.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
reported as a tech 9 and a Ruger 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
reported as a tech 9 and a Ruger 9mm pistol.

He must have never range tested the Tec-9...did they ever make any that worked?
And all this over an altered website and a failed lawsuit for a billion dollars.
I think CPD uses the 5946 W/nitesites as issue handgun, not sure about SWAT.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Aparently not...
My pastor, the chaplain for Cleveland safety forces and the FBI here said that there were tons of unspent 9mm cartridges all over the building.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
First thing I did when I learned of this I turned on 100.1 WNIR out of Akron , they were taking calls , the first caller ( not the host ) immediately starts in on this is why the AWB should be renewed. It was just like DAMNIT , this is all we need 5 months before the sunset .I’m sure we all feel this way right now . Also in all seriousness, people did loose their lives today (not that it could have easily been a car accident) but still life was lost. And families are grieving. I could say that a little prayer is not out of the question

The sunset is 1 year, 5 mos away...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Aparently not...
My pastor, the chaplain for Cleveland safety forces and the FBI here said that there were tons of unspent 9mm cartridges all over the building.

Scott

All dented, no doubt!
Now the local Million Misplaced Moron Moms Muffs are going to D.C. because of it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah the plain feeler ran an article today about that very topic... the MMMMM's will no doubt have something to get their undies twisted up about..

Actually CPD is going to Glock 9mms over the next year or so... Akron already went over to Glock's too.

A Tec 9 and a Ruger 9mm.. what a great combo....
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I still remember when council president George Forbes made a big stink when CPD switched to S&W 9MM's. He insisted that they carry only ball ammo, because hollow points were "racist." Now he's an ambulance chaser...
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 1:07:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes you are correct Mugzilla, my ban on that one , i guess i was alittle confused . to be even more correct it is 489 days 20 hrs 7mins and 6 sec at the time of this post

got that from [
http://www.awbansunset.com/]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yeah the plain feeler ran an article today about that very topic... the MMMMM's will no doubt have something to get their undies twisted up about..

Actually CPD is going to Glock 9mms over the next year or so... Akron already went over to Glock's too.

I'll  bet the Ruger worked.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll  bet the Ruger worked.

the funny thing is the article in the plain feeler said the same thing about the ruger!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I still remember when council president George Forbes made a big stink when CPD switched to S&W 9MM's. He insisted that they carry only ball ammo, because hollow points were "racist." Now he's an ambulance chaser...

And before that, as acting in the mayors absence, Forbes did what he called "the Cleveland shuffle"...that was our "assault weapon" ban.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#21]
WTF... where they trying to make the charges match the number of shell casings?. Hell they charged the guy with over 300+ felony counts...

oh well knowing downtown he will probably only get convicted on the murder..I'll bet they first charges to go will be the thirty charges they laid on that nutjob will be for challenging the Swat teams.....
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top