Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2022 2:34:02 PM EDT
Possibly planning to take my family to Monster Jam in June 1034 N Main st. In Salinas. 7 hr drive for me. We may due overnight may not. Safe? Tips? 6yo and 2yo. Just planning ahead. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
We've stayed in Salinas in the past.  Near the airport wasn't too bad.  Other places were questionable at best.  These days I wouldn't.  However, consider Monterey, Seaside, Marina.  Close, pleasant, beach weather, etc.

Were you considering driving almost 3.5 hours to get there, go the event and then drive home about 3.5 hours, or 7 hours one way?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
7 hours one way. I’m up in Oregon. 14 hr round. 900 miles. For monster trucks. Lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like doing 7 hour trips as an adult.  It really has to be some interesting destination and/or driving to be worth that.  And almost certainly going to have several breaks.  I'd break up the trip.  But it's been a long time since doing any long drives with kids that age.  We drove to and from Yellowstone with them young and some of that got tobe  just plain unpleasant for them (and us).
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Salinas has a lot of crime.  A lot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If it were me, I'd stay in Monterey, near the Aquarium.  Kids LOVE the Aquarium.

It's safe, they have good food and comfortable accommodations.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Dennis the Menace Park in Monterey, Fisherman's Wharf usually has seals, etc., in the area to watch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Salinas has a lot of crime.  A lot.
View Quote
And a lot of gangs to go with it. I would expect the attendees would be mostly people to avoid. I would absolutely not take 6 and 2 year olds there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Salinas was always a shXX-hole.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Salinas is a cess pool. It’s owned by the cartels. Looks safe on the surface but is dangerous like Mexico. I have a family member out there who is in law enforcement who tells me stuff not in the news media.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top