Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2021 3:48:36 PM EDT
My cousin wants to get a long gun and a hand gun, he has a green card. How are the laws for handguns ? Long guns? besides the usual Assault wepons are not allowed here is your rape whistle and a dildo for your AR15buttstock to make it complaint?
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to go to a Big 5 or Turner's Outdoorsman or other local gun shop.  Go somewhere convenient because at least two trips are required to obtain a firearm (3 or more is likely).

They will tell him all the legal ins and outs of a purchase.  They will have products he can see and touch.  

I'm sure you know, this is a difficult time to buy firearms - low stock of firearms everywhere; high cost for ammo (>$1/round).
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell him to go to a Big 5 or Turner's Outdoorsman or other local gun shop.  Go somewhere convenient because at least two trips are required to obtain a firearm (3 or more is likely).

They will tell him all the legal ins and outs of a purchase.  They will have products he can see and touch.  

I'm sure you know, this is a difficult time to buy firearms - low stock of firearms everywhere; high cost for ammo (>$1/round).
View Quote

To be safe, I'd avoid any FFL that does not deliver after 30 days if no determination is issued by DOJ.  Turner's is among them (I've also heard bad things about buying firearms from or through them).
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
On the other hand, I have had no trouble with them at all.  In fact, they are my preferred place to go.

I have nothing to urge regarding who to buy from.  I was mostly suggesting how to approach this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
So even for long guns it takes several trips?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
At the very minimum, two trips - purchase; the ten day waiting period; pick up.

A safety certificate is also needed and that could add a third trip.

By themselves, it isn't bad but if you have to drive a long way, it gets tedious.  Shop locally.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yall wouldnt happen to have a link to where my cousin can take the required course in san diego area?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yall wouldnt happen to have a link to where my cousin can take the required course in san diego area?
View Quote

What course are you talking about?  For CCW?

If you're talking about the Firearm Safety Card, there is no course.  You go to the FFL, tell them you want to take the test, and if you get most of the questions right (there are 30), you pass and get issued the card.  Cost $25, IIRC.  Questions are fairly common-sense, although a few that show up are "common-sense" from the perspective of an anti-gunner.  I never studied, always passed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The safety cert is usually available at the gun stores.  I don't know off hand if a table top ffl would offer the testing.  It's a not terribly difficult multiple choice exam IIRC.  It does take some time and effort to administer so some stores I've been to had restrictions on when it was available, trying to both allow for completion in time to finish other paperwork as well as to not take up employee time at peak busy hours.  A quick call to your planned ffl location should get you all the info you need.  turner's has a link to the study guide on their website, too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The safety cert is usually available at the gun stores.  I don't know off hand if a table top ffl would offer the testing.  It's a not terribly difficult multiple choice exam IIRC.  It does take some time and effort to administer so some stores I've been to had restrictions on when it was available, trying to both allow for completion in time to finish other paperwork as well as to not take up employee time at peak busy hours.  A quick call to your planned ffl location should get you all the info you need.  turner's has a link to the study guide on their website, too.
View Quote

All FFLs can do it.  My buddy got his first one at a kitchen table FFL when he got his first gun in CA several years ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top