Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2021 7:47:07 AM EDT
Hey guys, going to be flying a trip into John Wayne airport next month for a few days. Just wanted to get some opinions on some good areas to possibly stay. I’ll have a rental car so theoretically could go anywhere as long as the hotel is $150ish per night. Although I don’t really want to drive hours away I’d prefer to stay somewhat close. First time ever in SoCal. Feel free to add any things to do or must try restaurants. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
LA is dead.

What are you interested in besides guns.

I live 20 miles from John Wayne.  I try hard to avoid much of LA County.

Old Hollywood is sketch. It was bad 3 years ago. Covid nailed the coffin shut

Melrose is done. If you're in the mood to shop Abbot-Kenny is the area to go.

Do you want mellow? Do you want a scene?

Help a brother out
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You aren't that close to L.A. You're better off heading toward the ocean (Huntington Beach, etc). When we were younger, we had friends in San Juan Capistrano (also in Orange County)... so if you ever get tired of the beaches and piers and snazzy restaurants... you can go southward to tour Mission San Juan Capistrano (it's avocado country!). And San Diego has a lot, but that's some driving.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
What 4 days?  Depending on location Friday and Saturday nights can be really expensive.  I just checked a spot I go now and then but not weekends and the closest Motel 6 was $135 a night, Friday and Saturday.  Last year or before Covid anyways, $170 per night weekends.  Buellton.  OTOH. Lompoc only 17  or so miles away would be in the $50-$60 range, I think.  Buellton is quite close to Solvang, has it's own restaurants, brewery and a few eating places.  Solvang is quaint.  Foody, winey - lots of vineyards and wineries in area.  Santa Barbara probably close to or over $150 a night every night, weekends higher (Motel 6 is over $200 on weekends) 4 day averages would be lower, of course, but like he said.  Need some help on what you might be interested in.  Getting away from the beaches and especially popular or toney places will help on prices, of course.

Disneyland? Not as a recommendation but I don't know if will be open to out of state visitors.  That might impact prices in the area.  Seal Beach and south might be good to look at.  Probably not price do-able in the beach towns, maybe.  Depends on days and how close to the beach you actually get.

The greater L.A. area has maybe 12 million people here. depending on how  you decide to count.  A willingness to do some driving will help with things to do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, if you choose the coast, the season for seeing flying fish is now to late September. But there are 7 genera of flying fish world over.
Flying Fish, Catalina Island, California, USA! Afishinados Charters Tour Review!

More exclusively found in SoCal are grunions, peak grunion run dates are March to Early June. They are fish that lay eggs on land:
Grunion Run in Los Angeles: A True Fish Out of Water

Anyway, those are the fish which you can see in SoCal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a boat ride or helicopter flight over to Catalina for the day?

Disneyland and Downtown Disney and California Adventure are required.  They will not let you go home unless you can show some proof you visited one or all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Courtyard Marriot in Irvine. Irvine is the cleanest city I've ever seen. Good to Very Good places to eat are everywhere. Newport beach is right there.
Eat at Houstons. Excellent!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top