Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2021 12:17:25 PM EDT
Gents,
I have my interview with the SD Sheriff coming up. Any advice? Justification is large amounts of cash while running a small business. Thanks for any tips
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dress like your avatar and they'll hand it to you right there!

My son went dressed as Ash a couple Helloweens ago, if you need any help, might have some of the costume leftover.

J/K

Good luck with the interview, print out any crime stats in the area your business is in. If it's bad, that should help justify why you need to be armed. If you deal with a lot of cash, bring bank deposit statements to show how regular you have lots of cash on you.
View Quote

I already submitted bank statements, but should probably update them. I will also pull crime stats. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it too late to donate to the Sheriff's reelection fund, as that's where you'll get the most bang for your bucks!

As above, plus I'd have any documentation to show off how great of a guy you are - any veterans stuff, firearms training schools you may have been to, licenses you possess from other states, ranges you're a member of or shooting competitions you've been in.  

Do you volunteer anyplace?  Volunteer hour logs or such would make you look like a pillar of the community.

Look at the license from the Sherriff's viewpoint.  If you had someone who was at risk of being robbed, was well trained / experienced with guns, and was a good member of the community, you'd feel much more at ease allowing them a license than otherwise.  

Or just bribe them - that seems to be the prevailing way in CA!

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE

There IS NO interview anymore. They took a pic, prints, and she was even nice enough to check on an interfamily transfer I submitted in Dec. Next step is the approval email (I hope) then the class, then the permit. They were all surprisingly friendly, and there were a lot of people there working on their permits too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
UPDATE

There IS NO interview anymore. They took a pic, prints, and she was even nice enough to check on an interfamily transfer I submitted in Dec. Next step is the approval email (I hope) then the class, then the permit. They were all surprisingly friendly, and there were a lot of people there working on their permits too.
View Quote

Good luck OP...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What does the class involve? Is it one day or multiple?

Hopefully you won't have any issues getting it and you'll be the next CCW holder in CA!

Good luck and go to the class dressed like Ash!
View Quote

My understanding is that it's 8 hours, I think most places do 2x4 hour sessions but that may vary.
Thanks for the well wishes :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Best of luck, I hope your Sheriff is handing them out as freely as mine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
@RolandofGilead

Any updates?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@RolandofGilead

Any updates?
View Quote
Sounds like OP got approved

Ventura country is shall issue
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm fairly confident I'll get approved, at this point I'm still waiting though...
Not totally surprising
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I really want to try for an LA County permit since I could have a good cause statement that is similar to many of those getting approved under the new standards, but I don't know how high of a bar they are setting for "good moral character".  I highly suspect I wouldn't make the cut.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really want to try for an LA County permit since I could have a good cause statement that is similar to many of those getting approved under the new standards, but I don't know how high of a bar they are setting for "good moral character".  I highly suspect I wouldn't make the cut.
View Quote

Worth a shot, if you don't have a record it's at least worth trying IMO.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the problem. I do have a record. I'm not prohibited, but I do have a record relating to a defensive shooting from some time ago. I can get letters of recommendation from retired LASD deputies who know all about that situation, too, but I'm not sure that would help. I haven't gotten so much as a ticket in nearly 9 years.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m still trying to decide whether I want to get my ccw. At times I feel like saying to hell with asking for permission, I’m wearing my sig today, but other times I think it’s not worth getting caught with it and risk losing the ability to own firearms anymore. I’m in riverside county and from my understanding it isn’t too difficult to get a permission slip to carry.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's the problem. I do have a record. I'm not prohibited, but I do have a record relating to a defensive shooting from some time ago. I can get letters of recommendation from retired LASD deputies who know all about that situation, too, but I'm not sure that would help. I haven't gotten so much as a ticket in nearly 9 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. I mean...it's $100 or whatever, so maybe still worth a shot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m still trying to decide whether I want to get my ccw. At times I feel like saying to hell with asking for permission, I’m wearing my sig today, but other times I think it’s not worth getting caught with it and risk losing the ability to own firearms anymore. I’m in riverside county and from my understanding it isn’t too difficult to get a permission slip to carry.
View Quote

That's a legit strategy too.

Riverside is essentially shall issue from what I understand.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that’s the understanding I have as well. Maybe I will give the man more reason to be in my life. I’m here on arfcom, I’m already on a watchlist.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm farther up north, and mine took 8 months.  Interview was over the phone, wasn't really a lot of "why should you have it?"  was more of "do you smoke weed, have you been arrested since your application, any reason why you shouldn't have it?"  Come by in a few days and pick it up.  Good bye, be safe.

I did my non-resident Arizona permit and had it in 8 days.  No interview, just fingerprint cards and a background NICS type check.  And a much nicer card than the one from my county that looks like it was made in Mom's basement.

Hope you hear good news soon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm farther up north, and mine took 8 months.  Interview was over the phone, wasn't really a lot of "why should you have it?"  was more of "do you smoke weed, have you been arrested since your application, any reason why you shouldn't have it?"  Come by in a few days and pick it up.  Good bye, be safe.

I did my non-resident Arizona permit and had it in 8 days.  No interview, just fingerprint cards and a background NICS type check.  And a much nicer card than the one from my county that looks like it was made in Mom's basement.

Hope you hear good news soon.
View Quote

Yeah my Utah and Oregon ones were soooo easy. It's absurd how long this takes
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

A friend of mine got his CCW, LA County in May .
Are you a business owner that deal in large cash deposits , tell them yes .
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does he have a record?  I have misdemeanors in my record.  Some of the stricter IAs basically want a flawless or nearly flawless background for a person to be considered to have "good moral character", and sometimes more than that.  Not sure what standard LA is using.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#24]
approved!

Doing my training next monday, should be carrying in 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Not that I am aware of .
Don't mention your past .
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#26]
8 hours of training took about 6 hours. Mostly fluff, but some good info on some laws that I was already aware of, but good to be reminded of. Written test was a joke. A kid with passing familiarity with guns could have passed. Shooting test was the same. 5 shots 7 yards, 5 shots 5 yards, then 3 shots 3 yards strong hand, 2 shots weak hand in a silhouette. I hate testing requirements and don't believe there should be any, but if you can't pass that you legit have no business carrying lol.

Pick up my permit in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks, pretty blown away it was as easy as it was. Only a one year wait
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It took a year for the whole process? Damn, that's a long time for a permit.

At least you got it and that's all that matters now. Just that they made you wait that long to get it sucks.

How many firearms could you list? Or did they only allow one?
View Quote

They closed down for like 8 months due to covid lol.

You can list as many as you want, but you have to "qual" with each one and they have to be registered of course.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You can list as many as you want, but you have to "qual" with each one and they have to be registered of course.
View Quote

I think it's mostly the rural counties that don't require the gun to be registered to you (I think Sacramento County is on the list, too, but I don't recall for sure).  It's a stupid requirement not mandated by law.  It's especially stupid given that the act of adding an unregistered gun to your permit registers the gun with DOJ.

There are IAs that can get retarded on what they allow, like requiring it to be on the roster, requiring no mods to the gun at all as manufactured, except maybe finish, not allowing anything .50-cal. and up, or over .45, not allowing anything under .25 or .25 and under, no rifle caliber pistols, and more, along with limiting the number of guns that can be put on the permit.

I think LA County is requiring the registration part and limiting it to three guns, but other than that, they don't sound like they are imposing other requirements.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think it's mostly the rural counties that don't require the gun to be registered to you (I think Sacramento County is on the list, too, but I don't recall for sure).  It's a stupid requirement not mandated by law.  It's especially stupid given that the act of adding an unregistered gun to your permit registers the gun with DOJ.

There are IAs that can get retarded on what they allow, like requiring it to be on the roster, requiring no mods to the gun at all as manufactured, except maybe finish, not allowing anything .50-cal. and up, or over .45, not allowing anything under .25 or .25 and under, no rifle caliber pistols, and more, along with limiting the number of guns that can be put on the permit.

I think LA County is requiring the registration part and limiting it to three guns, but other than that, they don't sound like they are imposing other requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't pistol registration a state requirement, totally separate from CCW? I'm pretty sure it is. No requirements here outside of qual, so it could be worse. It's even okay if it's off roster which is nice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Isn't pistol registration a state requirement, totally separate from CCW? I'm pretty sure it is. No requirements here outside of qual, so it could be worse. It's even okay if it's off roster which is nice.
View Quote

No, unregistered pistols are legal to own and possess, and many gun owners own one or more of them.  There was never a requirement to retroactively register pistols, just like there is none for rifles once registration during transfers became mandatory.

The mandate for registration of pistols during transfer or importation did not become universal until the late 1990s (I think intrafamilial transfers were the last to be exempt).  IIRC, requiring an FFL for most pistol transfers did not occur until the early 1990s; before that, FTF private transfers were allowed.  Registration of pistols from a dealer being required goes back the 1920s or 1910s, but there was no requirement to use one for a transfer for a long time.  Registration was on paper, so many guns registered this way do not appear as having been registered if they were to be looked up in AFS, as many of these paper records were never converted to electronic ones (although I think I heard that DOJ is stepping this up).  I'm sure some paper records no longer exist for various reasons, so those guns will also essentially be unregistered, even if purchased through a dealer.

However, some crimes add enhancements if the pistol is unregistered, even if you lawfully acquired the pistol in a manner exempt from registration and lawfully possess the pistol, such as laws against carrying a firearm or possessing a loaded firearm in public.  They automatically get bumped up to felonies for the first offense.

Some IAs don't care if the pistol is registered, cognizant of the fact that adding to the permit registers the gun and that plenty of unregistered guns are lawfully owned and possessed by people who may wish to carry them, while also generally having a pro-carry disposition; the majority of IAs do care, though, and have the registration requirement to add a pistol to the permit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, unregistered pistols are legal to own and possess, and many gun owners own one or more of them.  There was never a requirement to retroactively register pistols, just like there is none for rifles once registration during transfers became mandatory.

The mandate for registration of pistols during transfer or importation did not become universal until the late 1990s (I think intrafamilial transfers were the last to be exempt).  IIRC, requiring an FFL for most pistol transfers did not occur until the early 1990s; before that, FTF private transfers were allowed.  Registration of pistols from a dealer being required goes back the 1920s or 1910s, but there was no requirement to use one for a transfer for a long time.  Registration was on paper, so many guns registered this way do not appear as having been registered if they were to be looked up in AFS, as many of these paper records were never converted to electronic ones (although I think I heard that DOJ is stepping this up).  I'm sure some paper records no longer exist for various reasons, so those guns will also essentially be unregistered, even if purchased through a dealer.

However, some crimes add enhancements if the pistol is unregistered, even if you lawfully acquired the pistol in a manner exempt from registration and lawfully possess the pistol, such as laws against carrying a firearm or possessing a loaded firearm in public.  They automatically get bumped up to felonies for the first offense.

Some IAs don't care if the pistol is registered, cognizant of the fact that adding to the permit registers the gun and that plenty of unregistered guns are lawfully owned and possessed by people who may wish to carry them, while also generally having a pro-carry disposition; the majority of IAs do care, though, and have the registration requirement to add a pistol to the permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, good to know I guess I did not have a good understanding of that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least you got it and that's all that matters now. Just that they made you wait that long to get it sucks.

What county allows for unlimited?  Ventura allows for up to 5.  The first time I got stares since many had one and I had five

The last time many had up to 5
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What county allows for unlimited?  Ventura allows for up to 5.  The first time I got stares since many had one and I had five

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A number of the more conservative counties allow you to add as many as you want.  But, IIRC, for more than five, you have to list them on a separate form or sheet or something.

The more Left-leaning or urban a county is, the more likely they'll restrict the number on the permit, have restrictions on gun types and calibers, have restrictions on modifications, require registration, add conditions to the permit, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in San Diego county, they said as many as we wanted...though in practice they list them on the permit so I don't know how that would really work if you wanted 20 lol.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I should apply for my ccw. Riverside county is pretty good on being pro gun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The qual with each weapon was in that big “gunmaggedon” package several years ago.  Doesn’t bother me, but I don’t mind the classroom instruction either.  

Kern County let’s you have 10 weapons on your license.  Back in the day, if you lived in an incorporated township that had its own police department, you had to go through them first, and that’s what I did. My township only allows three handguns on their permit, but is otherwise unrestricted.  Our police chief is pro-citizen carry.  I could go through the county, but you have to start over from scratch and it’s a pricy process.  

I’m not going to lie—choosing the three is always a struggle!

Me, my wife, and her parents all go together—we re-qual in April. It’s always a pleasant morning/afternoon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I should apply for my ccw. Riverside county is pretty good on being pro gun.
View Quote

You should—if you think you’ll have the right mindset. I’m not judging you: I don’t even know you!

The classroom instruction is an eye-opener for many folks.

I really like being able to carry.  It can change how you go about doing things.  Little changes—no big deal—and for me, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You should—if you think you’ll have the right mindset. I’m not judging you: I don’t even know you!

I really like being able to carry.  It can change how you go about doing things.  Little changes—no big deal—and for me, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks!
View Quote

Yeah, I’m looking into the process to get my ccw. I’ve looked into the Riverside County Gun Owners site. What Im wondering is why do I need a good cause to carry? Is self defense for the sake of defending myself and/or family not good enough of a reason? I have come up with a good cause statement, but it just bothers me that self defense alone isn’t a good enough reason.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, I’m looking into the process to get my ccw. I’ve looked into the Riverside County Gun Owners site. What Im wondering is why do I need a good cause to carry? Is self defense for the sake of defending myself and/or family not good enough of a reason? I have come up with a good cause statement, but it just bothers me that self defense alone isn’t a good enough reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In most of CA self defense is not going to be good enough, though it might be in Riverside. It wasn't enough in San Diego
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In most of CA self defense is not going to be good enough, though it might be in Riverside. It wasn't enough in San Diego
View Quote

On the Inland Empire gun owners website they say to have a good cause statement ready, so I guess self defense isn’t enough. But that’s CA for us, the anti gunners make the rules.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

On the Inland Empire gun owners website they say to have a good cause statement ready, so I guess self defense isn’t enough. But that’s CA for us, the anti gunners make the rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. At least it's possible....sad that we have such low expectations.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#45]
The majority of counties accept self-defense as good cause.  A bunch more require some sort of minimal good cause beyond self-defense, but nothing most people can't meet.  Riverside County falls under one of those two.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
UPDATE

View Quote
That is such a huge change from when I went to the county office years back. The reception cunt literally laughed at me and my friend, saying we had zero chance of getting a permit.  Each step was made particularly difficult so you actually had less than zero chance before even starting out.

I have a good friend and SD business owner who has a permit now.  He tends to drive too fast and has illegal tint, so he meets CHP officers quite often.  Each one is amazed to see a permit in the hands of someone not in the club.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is such a huge change from when I went to the county office years back. The reception cunt literally laughed at me and my friend, saying we had zero chance of getting a permit.  Each step was made particularly difficult so you actually had less than zero chance before even starting out.

I have a good friend and SD business owner who has a permit now.  He tends to drive too fast and has illegal tint, so he meets CHP officers quite often.  Each one is amazed to see a permit in the hands of someone not in the club.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATE

wow, huge difference. I had heard the same so I waited until it changed.

Never been pulled over for my tint luckily
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jeez dude, it'd be hard to pick just five. I mean I'd want at least one snubby, one full size 1911, one Glock, then a backup for each one in case it breaks or something. It'd be easy to carry more than 5 guns at once. A full size on each hip, a sub compact on each ankle, a snubby in each front pocket and 1 under each arm in shoulder holsters. That's 8 right there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what was your good cause if not self defense?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small business owner depositing cash
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top