Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 11:43:24 PM EDT
Hey guys, looking at moving to Monterey this summer (Army). I've spent the day on Google, ca.gov, and arfcom reading all the rules I can find. I think I understand most of it, but I want to run it by the experts.

1. Anderson AR - many evil features, not listed by name, can be made CA legal by adding 'permanent' 10 round magazine like a compmag. Compmag can be easily removed when I leave the state.

2. Handguns not on the approved list can be imported, but no mags over 10 rounds, and no transfers.

3. Being military means not really a resident, so no registration required within 60 days of arrival.

4. Biggest unknown is my Polymer80 Glock (completely built). Can I import it? If so do I have to undergo the serial number request, register, etc? Or is this exempt either because (1) it's an import or (2) I'm not a resident?

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, and I won't be the last.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. My understanding is is that I won't need to register the AR as an AW if it has the fixed mag, and I won't need to fill out the new resident registration because I won't be considered a resident unless I am discharged in CA (I don't plan to be). Is the Glock legal to possess without SN under those circumstances? Am I incorrect on any of this information?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Request the paperwork now, don't wait until you get here to start.

Being in the military and coming into the state, you can bring all your firearms. The glock will need a serial number to be registered. Make sure the mags you bring are 10 rounds, obviously.

If you want to make some cash, bring some handguns that aren't on the roster. Californians will buy up everything that you have.
View Quote

No need to register anything as he is not as resident. No serial # on the P80 required since it wasn't made here
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. My understanding is is that I won't need to register the AR as an AW if it has the fixed mag, and I won't need to fill out the new resident registration because I won't be considered a resident unless I am discharged in CA (I don't plan to be). Is the Glock legal to possess without SN under those circumstances? Am I incorrect on any of this information?
View Quote

You dont need to register anything, not a resident. Being discharged here wont make you a resident unless you choose to stay. Keep your HOR, DL, vehicle registration, etc in your home state
P80 is legal since it was not made here (according to SD county sheriff dept)
stupid configuration ("assault weapon") and mag limits do apply.  

Being

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You dont need to register anything, not a resident. Being discharged here wont make you a resident unless you choose to stay. Keep your HOR, DL, vehicle registration, etc in your home state
P80 is legal since it was not made here (according to SD county sheriff dept)
stupid configuration ("assault weapon") and mag limits do apply.  

Being

View Quote

Yeah, no plans to stay. Thanks for the confirmation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top