Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2020 9:36:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW!

I have never before read anything quite as flagrant as this.  I'm quoting from 20-06.

"Although California voters chose not to implement SB10 through the passage of Proposition 25, the conversation about bail reform remains active and robust.

While it is nearly certain that legislation seeking to eliminate cash bail will once again be put to voters, we will not wait for statewide reform before imposing meaningful changes in the use of cash bail."

Let me translate that for you:

Although this was rejected by the voters, we are going to go ahead and do them anyway because we want to.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The initiative was a bit of a trap.  Courts, DAs, have always had the ability to set bail policy.  Had the initiative passed it would have forced "no bail" and require another vote to change.  This at least is L.A. county only and can be set back by policy, change of DA, etc.  I'm pretty sure this (coc) DA and others and Biden weren't forthcoming about their policies and intentions for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top