Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2020 12:46:24 PM EDT
Greetings Californians....I'm doing a quick medical courier mission this week...flying into SFO thence Lyft or Uber or taxi to UCSF hospital and back to hotel near SFO. Arriving late Wed night and departing out at 0800 Thur so no roaming around, and will be unarmed due to TSA and USCIS....other than maintaining 360 awareness...anything I should beware?  Assume grub hub or uber eats are about the only options, less SFO?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
San Francisco is going into a purple tier and 10 pm to 5 am "curfew" on various activities.   Not sure how that will work depending on arrival and departure times and eating.  You might be stuck with airport or hotel food - you might want to consider drive through on the way from the airport to the hospital.

Aside from it being San Francisco, it sounds like a quick dash to the hospital and back to the hotel.  Probably no different from that sort of "trip" anyplace at this time.  Maybe consider holding your driver over instead of trying to call up a second from the hospital?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There's still outdoor dining, unless that's changed in SF.  Definitely is in the East Bay, and we're in the same tier, so...always an option, if you want to actually get out for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Danke...I usually ask the driver if they can wait the 15—20 minutes....they double their money by taking me back (worked at LAX, ORD and ISD).  Fortunately I have an essential medical travel letter if needed....don‘t wanna miss curfew...back in the day at Camp Casey, MPs used to announce the time prior to rousting folks in TDC!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Danke...I usually ask the driver if they can wait the 15—20 minutes....they double their money by taking me back (worked at LAX, ORD and ISD).  Fortunately I have an essential medical travel letter if needed....don‘t wanna miss curfew...back in the day at Camp Casey, MPs used to announce the time prior to rousting folks in TDC!
View Quote

No one is gonna bother you about curfew.  Since you can technically go out for essential shopping or food, you can say that even if you were to get stopped, which you will not.

Throughout both of these curfews I've driven dozens of hours at night along with tens of thousands of other people, they're not stopping anyone for it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Does your hotel have room service or an in-hotel restaurant?  A lot of times it is the most convenient way to get food and it's often quite good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Since it's not your car in SF, you won't have to worry about break ins.

You main concern it sounds like is what to do with your time back at your hotel?

You can still go out and eat.   Have your face diaper ready as you'll need it to enter into any establishment.
Restaurants are still open.   If you're staying near SFO and want to explore some dining options, go to downtown Burlingame as that is the closest to SFO with a many restaurants in one area.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah try to find a 24 hour takeout place.  The Mayor stepped on her dork this past weekend by eating in a multi-family group after telling people it was a no-no just the other day.  Who knows what the Governor is going to pull out of his hat in the next few days. the last few times he talked like he did today he threw more restrictions in to effect.   Somewhat luckily SFO and Burlingame are not in San Francisco County and you should have better luck finding places open, maybe.  Here in the LA area we have a few Mexican fast food chains that stay open 24 hours.  Usually pretty good stuff.  However comma however some people don't react well to certain spices or oils or greases sometimes used at those places.  While you might have quite an enjoyable meal, the repercussions can start in less than an hour or up to several hours later .  Not a good thing on a plane.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all for tips.  Decided to just go ahead and eat here at GDL since I have a very quick turn in LAX and by the time my mission is completed at SFO....won’t have too much of an appetite as I have an early morning flight back to Virginia....,ah the life of a courier....just like the Army.   Hurry up and wait!    Best to all of you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top