Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2020 6:58:51 PM EDT
Hey guys.

This is my first AR 15, so please bear with me.

I noticed on every ar15 I've seen, there is a bolt catch that has a paddle to release the bolt forward after it has been locked back and also allows you to keep the bolt locked back by pressing down on the bottom of it while pulling the bolt all the way back then releasing.

My ar does not have this. There is just a small metal post where the paddle would be and it doesn't function at all. Like the bolt catch action has been removed? So essentially I cant lock the bolt back unless the empty magazine catches it.

Does what I'm saying make sense? I don't understand why I don't have a functional bolt catch installed on this rifle. Is this a CA compliance thing or can I buy the parts for a bolt catch and do it myself? My VR80 has a functional bolt catch with paddle and I want the same on my ar. I can snap a picture if I'm not making sense.

Pic added.

http://imgur.com/a/uCpIVSw
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the the various "fixed" magazine devices use the space from the bolt lock to fit a device which locks the mag release.  When the upper and lower are separated, the device is allowed to move up, freeing the mag release to be pushed in.  Do you know what brand/type of mag locker was installed?  that might tell us.  It looks like the takedown pin is also changed?  If it's springloaded to be pushed in versus pulled out, it might be something like the Juggernaut Hellfighter?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
He has a mechanism that links the mag release to the bolt lock.  It is non-standard, CA-compliant.  Put a conventional release and mag lock in there and you have an "assault weapon".

Tell me about the 458 SOCOM.  

I want one.

Every time I look at them, I come away thinking it is similar to a 12 gage with slugs.  Is it?

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of the the various "fixed" magazine devices use the space from the bolt lock to fit a device which locks the mag release.  When the upper and lower are separated, the device is allowed to move up, freeing the mag release to be pushed in.  Do you know what brand/type of mag locker was installed?  that might tell us.  It looks like the takedown pin is also changed?  If it's springloaded to be pushed in versus pulled out, it might be something like the Juggernaut Hellfighter?
View Quote

Yes this a juggernaut tactical hellfighter kit and I had my ffl do the build.

Is there a CA compliant kit I can install that works with the hellfighter kit and allows me to lock the bolt back manually?

If not, I understand, but I'd much rather have the ability to lock the bolt back manually if possible
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He has a mechanism that links the mag release to the bolt lock.  It is non-standard, CA-compliant.  Put a conventional release and mag lock in there and you have an "assault weapon".

Tell me about the 458 SOCOM.  

I want one.

Every time I look at them, I come away thinking it is similar to a 12 gage with slugs.  Is it?

View Quote

What do you want to know? Comparable to a 12G slug in regards to recoil? It's a little more of a quick punch as opposed to a bigger blunt feel from my vr80. I imagine the difference in the gas systems plays a big role in that
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is there a CA compliant kit I can install that works with the hellfighter kit and allows me to lock the bolt back manually?

If not, I understand, but I'd much rather have the ability to lock the bolt back manually if possible
View Quote

I did a quick search and turned up info on Hogue, Inc. and Battle Arms Development having pin release arrangements.  I'm not familiar with them as to how well they work, if still available, etc., just have seen them out there while looking at the problem.  There could well be others.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Call or email Juggernaught and ask them.  If anyone knows for sure, it will be them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Call or email Juggernaught and ask them.  If anyone knows for sure, it will be them.
View Quote

Yeah thats where I'm at. Was just hoping someone here knew.

Thanks to all for the help!
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you want to know? Comparable to a 12G slug in regards to recoil? It's a little more of a quick punch as opposed to a bigger blunt feel from my vr80. I imagine the difference in the gas systems plays a big role in that
View Quote

Have you tested it for penetration/over-penetration?

How does it do in gel?

What load are you shooting?  Is it factory or reload?

What role/mission lead you to buy a 458?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]
1 ounce slug = 437 grains

12 gage slug go at ~1200 fps.

437 gr 458 SOCOM goes at 1200 fps

Let's recap - same mass and same velocity.

Therefore the recoil must be approximately...........................? (fill in the blank)

At least, that's how I see it, never having fired one or even seen one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My shotgun is a pump, so no gas system at all.  

It has a straight stock just like an AR, so it pushes straight back rather than rotating upwards, but a one ounce slugs gives you a significant push.

As I see it, the 458 SOCOM offers box magazine reloads of a shotgun-like cartridge and bullet.  

I get eleven rounds to start and ten more rounds from a quick reload.  

It also has the same "manual of arms" for loading, clearing jams, safety, etc.  

That's what attracted me to it in the first place.  

This is also why I continue to be interested in it.  

The thing is, I've never seen one in the flesh and never fired one.  

On the down side, the cost of entry into the game is pretty high just to test it out.

The cost of ammo is also high, even if you reload.

That's how I see it.  It's definitely "on my radar" but I cannot yet commit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
This is OP's rifle.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top