Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2020 12:21:10 PM EDT
I really want to get an AR-15, but I’ve heard that there’s a lot of restrictions on it. You have to a fixed stock on it, and I forgot what other restrictions there were. I’m just looking for a first gun, and I’m really into the AR-15. I barely turned 18, and I’m currently working on getting my hunting license. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably not worth it... you will be paying top dollar for a semi automatic firearm that is basically neutered to so as to not function as designed.  If you are getting a hunting license and this is your first gun... get a bolt action and spend the extra money on ammunition and hearing protection and learn to shoot...  welcome aboard here
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the forum!

Look up all the regs on the DOJ website.  There are all kinds of limitations on mag capacity, mag attachment, stock configuration, and accessories.  The AR-15 you buy that is California-compliant is a bit of an abomination.  

If semi-auto is what you seek, then an M1a or Ruger Mini-14 or Ranch Rifle is what you should consider.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I think its worth it to sit on a lower in case laws change but I would buy something else in CA that can be operated the way the engineers intended. Good news is you can buy more than one gun here still. My vote for someone in CA getting into guns is 10/22, 870, G19 gen3 as a start, before I dabbled into the neutered stuff.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve watched a YouTube video that lets you keep the attachments on, but you need a mag lock. It’s called the hellfighter.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you! Any bolt actions you would recommend?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Lever action would be a thought ... marlin tactical model, or a Henry X
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the site. It’s definitely worth getting an ar here behind enemy lines, that is if you can find one on the shelves right now. My coworker has been waiting since before august for an ar to be delivered to his local ffl.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you man. I just love the AR-15, I want it as my first gun. I’ve read into it, and using the AR Maglock is pretty convenient. You get to keep all of the “evil” attachments on it. Jeez! You’re co-worker has been waiting for 2-3 months, wow. Which AR-15 would you recommend?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
My suggestion for California is an M1 garand.

I'm sorry but ARs are kinda in between.

Or get that Ares rifle that looks like a Ruger but takes AR mags.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to a gun shop and tell them you want an AR.  They are not going to sell you something that isn't CA compliant.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#12]
When you buy a AR15 in kali it is no longer a AR15.

As others mentioned get a gun not messed with from the start and you will enjoy it more.
Then buy the AR and be frustrated.

For a bolt gun win mod 70 or remmy. 700

If you get a marlin get a old one with the JM in the Oval stamped barrel.
They are the most valuable and sought after since they are original Marlins and not remmy trash.

Semi go the M1 route I'd never feel uncomfortably with just that for a rifle.
Thankfully i live in free state and have more then a M1 to fall back on.

Rugers are ok but have relibity issues with aftermarket mags and factory ones are expensive.

Also can't go wrong with a glock for a handgun in semi.
I prefer large frame revolvers something that takes moon clips and you will?have the fastest revolver road ever known with practice.
Something like a newer s&w that takes 45acp moon clips or i prefer the ruger match championi in 10mm
It will allow you to shoot 40 short & weak with thicker moons.

You have options in kali just not all of the menu the rest of us have.

Do your research and make the best choice also check out what the kali doj allows .

You might find something you can have that you didn't know?a out and I'm sure there are things listed there that outsiders like me don't know you can own.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m not familiar with CA law, but I believe you must have fixed stock, shark fin pistol grip, no flash hider/brake, no bayonet lug; or a mechanism which will fix the mag in place and slow reloads.  But if you have the basic gun, you get that wonderful adaptability only the AR offers- the ability to change the caliber with a simple upper swap.  Most of us here own ARs because we recognize it’s brilliant design, functionality and convertibility. It’s adaptability has destroyed other semi rifles and driven them out of production.  They just can’t compete with the AR’s platform and the huge aftermarket parts supply.  This is something no lever or bolt gun will ever offer.  You give up a lot in CA, but you still have one hell of a gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#14]
If you do get a AR and want different uppers don't wait.
Same with any other gun parts looks likd 2024 parts are going the way of ammo in kali.

This bill would, commencing July 1, 2024, require the sale of firearm precursor parts, as defined, to be conducted by or processed through a licensed firearm precursor part vendor. Commencing July 1, 2024,

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB879

Just something to think about and I never see much mention about it.
Pretty sure somewhere in that bill the parts need a background check like ammo I'd have to reread the?whole thing again.

Link and brief cut/paste just taken from a saved doc i have for reference

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I know your just now legal to own, but it's kinda late in the game. You might get an upper & lower to sit on...just in case, meanwhile find you a CA legal firearm for the time being. BTW welcome to the group!
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Being I’m in this Crap of a State CA myself.. CA GUN LAW SUCKS that being said.. If your going with a Fixed Stock that would be a Featureless Rifle I in the other hand went with Fixed Mag route ( KingPin w/ Hogue Freedom Fighter Kit) I like my features.. It’s pretty much person preference, but whatever route you go I’d suggest get familiar and go out shooting wit it..
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#17]
If my choice was featureless or nothing, I would have featureless.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If my choice was featureless or nothing, I would have featureless.
View Quote

Pissing off anti gun peolple is a good enough reason for me.

Get an AR.. if SHTF will come nobody will care about featureless or not
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
do whatever you need to to have an AR.

THEY don't want you too.
THEY want to discourage you

get one, have fun, piss the haters off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#20]
People make it seem horrible it really isn’t bad at all. Here is a picture of one of my rifles. Completely CA compliant.

BTW if I go over to another state I can remove the fin grip and make the stock adjustable in less than 5 minutes. Having it setup as featureless allows me to use my freedom week mags legally.

Here it is in Arizona
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#21]
As a Californian, I've built four. The current configuration for a CA legal, non "assault weapon" version is;

1. No pistol grip
2. No flash hider muzzle device
3. Non adjustable buttstock.

Basically, that's it. This allows you to have a standard mag release.

You can do a web search for "featureless AR" for the details.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#22]
A friend of mine around San Diego is fairly new to the gun thing, probably just the last 3-5 years.  He got the bug without any assistance from arfcom, other than me.

He has a compliant Larue, a Sig, and a .45ACP PCR.  He just deals with the features, either using the swim fin grip or the push button lock mag thing, or what ever those things are caused.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I generally not one to sway someone away from an AR and (assuming you can find one) it's probably a good idea to get one now, before they make them impossible to get, but if you're getting your hunting license you might consider spending your money on a gun that would be better suited to hunting. I'm not saying you can't hunt with an AR, but if you're looking at a standard 5.56 you're setting yourself up for varmints and little else. If your idea of hunting is stalking mulies, bugling elk, duck hunting etc. there are other guns that would let you put that license to use. Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thank you man. I just love the AR-15, I want it as my first gun. I’ve read into it, and using the AR Maglock is pretty convenient. You get to keep all of the “evil” attachments on it. Jeez! You’re co-worker has been waiting for 2-3 months, wow. Which AR-15 would you recommend?
View Quote

The smith & wesson m&p sport2 is an awesome entry level ar15.
At this point in time I feel the best thing to do is go to your local gun stores and see what’s in stock. Take into consideration ammo as well. No point in buying a firearm if you can’t get ammo for it right now, it’s just an expensive club at that point.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The smith & wesson m&p sport2 is an awesome entry level ar15.
At this point in time I feel the best thing to do is go to your local gun stores and see what’s in stock. Take into consideration ammo as well. No point in buying a firearm if you can’t get ammo for it right now, it’s just an expensive club at that point.
View Quote

This is the sweet spot for entry ARs!

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Take the money, and use it to move to America first.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thank you! Any bolt actions you would recommend?
View Quote

Ruger, remington howa winchester savage make fine guns that are amazingly accurate for the price.  I prefer stainless , as you take rust out of the equation.  caliber is dependant on game... but if its a rifle I suspect you will be hunting larger animals... coyote and larger.  A caliber that is cheap and available is a good thing 223 and 308 are used by the military and are not only plentiful but cheaper than other calibers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I am a pretty new gun owner in CA. Bought my first handgun (CZ-75 P-01) just 6 months ago. Since then, I bought another one (H&K P2000), a shotgun (Winchester SXP) and now in the process of building my second CA-compliant AR-15. Once you are familiar with the gun laws here and understand the restrictions well, it is absolutely worth it to buy/build and own an AR in CA. For me, "fixed mag" option is far preferred over featureless. AR Maglock or Juggernaut Tactical provide pretty straightforward and viable pathways to make a CA-compliant AR, for less then $100. Other than the need to press one extra button to partially separate the upper from the lower when changing the mag, my rifles are absolutely the same as the "free state" versions. No grip fins, fixed stocks or any other BS. 10rd mag limitation is annoying, but with ammo pricing now it actually helps me from spending too much $$$
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]
OP is 18.

You need to get a hunting license first and then find an FFL that will give you FSC test. Most are only doing that with a purchase of a firearm.

You can't buy firearms in CA unless you're 21 years old or 18 with hunting license I believe. You might be able to get a bolt gun or shot gun. Not a AR.

Licensed firearms dealers are also generally prohibited from selling or transferring handguns and most semiautomatic rifles to people under 21, subject to certain exceptions for people with valid hunting licenses, or who are members of the Armed Forces or law enforcement.
View Quote

Edit* re-read and saw you're working on getting your hunting license. My bad. Also yes get an AR and the parts to make it normal. You can take it out of CA and change it like mentioned above. Its a great reliable system. check CALGUNS.net classified and you can find some sweet stuff. Great resource also.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a featureless AR.  I have one using the Thordsen stock.  It is very comfortable and pleasant to shoot.  

Alternatively, get a lever action rifle.  There are many excellent makes and models on the market right now.  The Rossi is inexpensive and easily tuned.  The Winchesters, Ubertis and others are fine right out of the box but do cost more.

If I were after a bolt action, I would buy a good quality, slightly older used rifle.  There are so many excellent Remington 700's and Winchesters 70's around.  It would be hard to not find one.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP is 18.

You need to get a hunting license first and then find an FFL that will give you FSC test. Most are only doing that with a purchase of a firearm.

You can't buy firearms in CA unless you're 21 years old or 18 with hunting license I believe. You might be able to get a bolt gun or shot gun. Not a AR.

Edit* re-read and saw you're working on getting your hunting license. My bad. Also yes get an AR and the parts to make it normal. You can take it out of CA and change it like mentioned above. Its a great reliable system. check CALGUNS.net classified and you can find some sweet stuff. Great resource also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP is 18.

Licensed firearms dealers are also generally prohibited from selling or transferring handguns and most semiautomatic rifles to people under 21, subject to certain exceptions for people with valid hunting licenses, or who are members of the Armed Forces or law enforcement.

I didnt realize ca required a hunting license for a gun purchase. Disregard my previous post. I thought you were getting the license to go hunting. I seriously hate that place.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#32]
That’s the loophole into getting a rifle in CA at 18. I wouldn’t mind going hunting, but I would just prefer to shoot for the hobby of it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Go to a few stores.  See what is available.  Check out the build your own forums here.  Avoid General Discussion.  The BS quotient there can be quite high on any day. Add in CA and it skyrockets.

Building your own is probably the best way to get more bang for your buck.

Read up on the laws and ask questions.  Make sure it's legal, those that say not to worry aren't going to be there for you if you get busted.

People that get busted for firearms violations usually do several dumb things that bring the eye of law enforcement on them.  Don't do dumb things, don't hang around with friends that do dumb things.

PERSEC and OPSEC Personnel Security and Operational Security.  Don't let losers or potential losers or those that can't keep their mouths shut about YOUR firearms.  Even if completely legal you don't need somebody advertising that you have something worth stealing.  You're voluntarily moving in to a world with adult responsibilities, behave like an adult.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't see any reason not to be interested in an AR of some sort but maybe wouldn't close my mind to other options.

I don't know what availability looks like these days.  I haven't been shopping for something of this sort for quite a while.  Some dealers/FFLs have not been accepting transfers, perhaps that's changed so it might be possible to receive product of various sorts through an out of state supplier via an FFL.  In a general sense, that might be a stripped receiver, complete lower receiver or a complete Ca legal firearm.  Parts don't require transfer via an FFL (yet?).  So, you might want to be "shopping" for both a firearm (in some form) and an FFL who is willing to facilitate delivery from stock and/or as a transfer.  Note that while most discussion centers on "featureless" or "fixed magazine," there are other characteristics, like barrel length, over all length, etc., that must be adhered to as well should you decide to build your own.  

I agree with familiarizing yourself with the legal definitions/descriptions of "assault weapons" in California.  Although there are several other states with similar provisions, I don't think any of them are exactly the same.  Also "advice" from non-Californians often is based on not liking how it looks as opposed to how it functions.

The only legal options these days are firearms that are not defined as an "assault weapon."  While there have been periods where AWs could be registered, one can't register one now.  Nor can they be transferred within the state.  An owner could revise a registered AW to a non AW configuration, remove it from the registration and transfer it.  Once removed from registration, it can't be restored to AW configuration and re-registered.

"Featureless" means the firearm doesn't have any of a set of listed features.  For a center fire, semi-automatic rifle, it can have a detachable magazine.  A "fixed magazine" rifle, magazine not to exceed 10 rounds in capacity, can have the features disallowed on a featureless rifle.  Note that the M1, M1 carbine, Mini-14, most M1As (some have stocks that may not fit Ca regs, the full size M1As that have a GI type flash hider are not, those with a CA muzzle brake, and the Scouts/Socoms are - I believe - coming with muzzle brakes.), a number of PCCs, etc., are featureless.  Be wary if buying a pre-owned rifle that things haven't been changed advertently or inadvertently over time - the transferring FFL should catch problems but look at it yourself, too.

The AR pattern is handy in that when it comes to "disassembly" for the purpose of removing/replacing a "fixed" magazine, there are a range of options of devices which allow the upper and lower to be pivoted apart a short distance and the mag released, then replaced and closed or closed then mag replaced, etc.  No small number of popular firearms won't pivot apart or aren't well suited to using stripper clips or chargers of some sort, ending up with the cosmetically unpleasant and often awkward handling resulting from fin grips or similar approaches to dealing with stock and grip regulations.  I happen to like the featureless approach, using the original mag release approach and the ability use any legally owned magazine without capacity restrictions.   Others prefer the other approach.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Welcome!

It's worth it to me.

I came from the bullet button days... I gave fixed mag an honest shot, but in the end you are mecanically going from:

Bullet button - 4 steps - find tool, insert tool (mag ejects), insert mag, push bolt release
Fixed Mag - 6 steps - pull rear take down, eject mag, reload, close action, push rear pin back in, charge
Featureless - 3 steps - push button, insert mag, push bolt release

I even tried ejection port loading with the Mean Arms...

Today All my ARs are featureless.  I've spent countless hours and $ refining the featureless experience and there's still room for improvement.  As far as looks are concerned, at this point I dont care - there's no replacement for being able to eject the magazine with a push of a button AND use freedom week mags.

OP give a look to the Ares SCR, Saiga Sporter, or Lee Armory Sporter also.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top