Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2020 12:41:36 PM EDT
I have a GB buyer who assures me my pistol is legal and all I need to do is send it to their FFl, even though I posted no CA sales.

Is there a list I can check against?

Thanks folks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
xdmikey, here is "the roster" they use to list their idea of what is "safe" for sale to CA subjects...  the list is shrinking and going to shrink even faster...

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

I may be out of date since I have not been interested in off-roster pistols in the last couple of years, so take what I am about to say with the caveat that the governor signs anything they put in front of him that is anti-2A and I don't keep up.

If your model isn't specifically shown, it is Off-Roster. Off-roster pistols are sold in a face-to-face transaction at a CA FFL dealer, but that requires conditions that the seller is present with a CA exemption. Those exemptions mean that people like LEOs can have them, and then sell them legally, or at least they could when I was chasing them.

I'm not sure, but I think that means you would have to be present and/or with a CA exemption to sell it here. If one thinks about it, what good would that roster list be if you just order a gun from out of state? I was up to date when I was after SIG P320 and Glock 41 since those are not on the roster, and I paid dearly for them here.

I would assume a quick conversation with the buyer's FFL would also clear things up since they are under strict scrutiny and would know immediately if the model is off-roster or not.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The exemption is for purchase, not sales, although I think some exempted persons are not allowed to resell to non-exempt people the guns they got using the exemption.  If the exemption were required for sales, no one could ever sell their off-roster handguns other than exempt people, which is clearly not the case.

Also, if the pistol is at least 50 years old (probably doesn't apply here), it is treated as C&R and roster-exempt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If not sure from looking at the "Roster," check with the FFL.  The FFL will not be able to legally transfer the handgun if not on the roster so they would be obliged to return it to you.  That could turn into a "who pays for it" mess when it comes to shipping, etc.  Also, you'd probably want to verify the FFL is doing transfers.  For a while it was so crazy many stopped doing transfers.  Worth checking that, too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If not sure from looking at the "Roster," check with the FFL.  The FFL will not be able to legally transfer the handgun if not on the roster so they would be obliged to return it to you.  That could turn into a "who pays for it" mess when it comes to shipping, etc.  Also, you'd probably want to verify the FFL is doing transfers.  For a while it was so crazy many stopped doing transfers.  Worth checking that, too.
View Quote

^^^ this.  Only listed pistols may be imported or owned in CA.  And the seller must be an FFL registered to export to CA.  No individual sales to CA dealers allowed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

^^^ this.  Only listed pistols may be imported or owned in CA. .
View Quote

That part (in red) is false.  There are many, many off-roster handguns legally owned in California.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the pistol used or new?  I somewhat believe that the roster only applies to sales of new pistols by dealers, that it doesn't apply to sales of used guns by private parties.  Although clearly that would be rife to abuse.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The Roster doesn't apply to private sales - but only after it's legally in Ca.  That would be sold by an exempt party, typically an LEO, or received from a legitimate intra-familial transfer.  Once a party has received it in a legal transfer, it can continue to be transferred legally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top