Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2018 4:21:13 PM EDT
Hi,

I have a 1980's NIB (new in box) Olympic Arms AR-15.

I've heard extremes in pricing.

I'm selling it to a friend, and want to sell it at appx market value.

I've owned a few of their rifles made in that time frame, and they were all very reliable and accurate (those made in the 1980's).

Thanks,
Michael
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Your values will likely be skewed by your location.  Probably most valuable in Massachusetts or Connecticut.  Not very valuable in the free states.

If it's not registered as an assault weapon and still in the original configuration, you may have a California felony on your hands.  Might check in your HTF before posting any pics.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Pictures would help. Barrel length, lower information, and upper information would be helpful. Just an FYI, pre ban lowers are worth a shit ton in ban states. Most likely more than the entire gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I paid $525 wholesale for one in '90 .... and with PSAs prices today, I can't see paying more for an Olympic...
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your values will likely be skewed by your location.  Probably most valuable in Massachusetts or Connecticut.  Not very valuable in the free states.

If it's not registered as an assault weapon and still in the original configuration, you may have a California felony on your hands.  Might check in your HTF before posting any pics.
View Quote
I paid $400 to get a Bushmaster, illegally acquired by a Californian, into AZ for a better life.  I wouldn't have paid a nickel for an Olympic Arms. Yes, it was shipped to a dealer at quite a bit of risk on the CA owner.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Classic rifle for sure, but being a classic doesn't always increase the value.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
The OP works for the CIA though, so he probably doesn't have to register his guns. Lol.
Does this year of Oly have cast or forged receivers? If it has forgings I'd say you could maybe get $500 bucks and only if the buyer doesn't know olys spotty reputation, that's just the going rate of a run of the mill m4 at the moment. Actually $400 is closer to the going rate. If it is registered and transferable (I don't know California law) check locally to see what those are worth.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone!

Rifle is kept out of state.

M
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  Thanks everyone!

Rifle is kept out of state.

M
View Quote
In that case, sell it to someone in Massachusetts or Connecticut, buy your buddy a new AR, optic, and ammo, and buy a nice bottle of whiskey with the leftovers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That lower alone is probably worth $1250 in MA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an Oly from around that time frame. Upper and lower were out of spec and could not be swapped out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Do some research and ask questions at Northeastshooters.com. Most of the members are from Massachusetts and will be the best resource for figuring out how to sell it into that state and get top dollar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top