Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2018 12:52:28 PM EDT
So, I will be out that way next week, appears to 101 is the route, any issues with fires in that area? I was thinking of maybe going to Santa Cruz and cruise the PCH, maybe north of there, how's the coast scenery in that area of the PCH? Never been there, hope to hear good news!

Mark
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No fire concerns down that way. PCH is a nice ride.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Looks like I just missed the garlic festival in Gilroy, bet there's extra beer about!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks! Looks like I just missed the garlic festival in Gilroy, bet there's extra beer about!
View Quote
Trust me, you missed nothing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless it's garlic beer, it's back to the distributors.  Oddly enough, they don't tend to give away left over beer.

It's ugly for fires in wildfire susceptible areas now, so what's clear today could be burning tonight, etc.  But the coast up or down 1 is a nice drive.  Also some of the state parks with coastal redwoods are close by.  South on 1 past Monterey might be a bit crowded.  They've finally, after 14 months of work got Highway 1 open again for through traffic all the way from Carmel to Morro Bay.  That's quite a drive and could be looped (Highway 1 one way, 101 the other) or down and back from San Jose in a day.    Southbound on 1 you are on the water/down cliff side but better views, easier to pull into ocean side parking/view spots.  Northbound on 1, the views are a little less easily seen but it can be harder to cross traffic to pull out to a view spot.  Also 101 north is faster and much less nerve wracking if cliff driving isn't a fun thing for the driver or a passenger.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good, might scoot over to 1 from SJ and down 1 to about Santa Cruz and over to Gilroy. Yosemite might be to far and crowded for a 4-5 hour round trip-all the spare Time in one day. Any decent gun shops in Gilroy area?
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds good, might scoot over to 1 from SJ and down 1 to about Santa Cruz and over to Gilroy. Yosemite might be to far and crowded for a 4-5 hour round trip-all the spare Time in one day. Any decent gun shops in Gilroy area?
View Quote
As beautiful as it is, I would steer clear of Yosemite right now. Big fire going on near there. If you have time, go see the aquarium in Monterey or fisherman's wharf.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, you won't get anywhere near Yosemite, apparently all the westside entrances and most of the park is closed
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to know, thank you. Appreciate the info so far.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Head over to Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Monterey for some great scenery.

Monterey is good for eating afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Trust me, you missed nothing.
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Head over to Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Monterey for some great scenery.

View Quote
If you do go the Aquarium, skip the overpriced shitty food.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
That look like a good time, might be the ticket!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
No fresh fish?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No fresh fish?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fresh fish?
If you're fast.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No fresh fish?
View Quote
Not during lunch time. It's meh burgers, expensive soup, and random "chefs special".

Oh and the lines and especially the free for all seating. Yeah no.

They do have a really funny picture of a whale on the second floor near the balcony. Everytime I see it, I just start laughing.
Attachment Attached File

I don't know why
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you do, get the BBQ in Morgan Hill at Trail Dust. Amazing
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, not bad. Had some time to drive to Montery, did the 17 mile drive and stacked a pebble at where else but Pebble Beach! Made it to the Lobo state park but fog had set in so I just drove back to Gilroy as I had an early flight. Thanks for the tips! Oh-and Gilroy just smelled of garlic, even the air!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top