Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2018 5:28:16 PM EDT
Perhaps there is a thread already.  I looked.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed stock, Exile Machine Backfin, Hexmag 10/30, and either a brake or a thread protector.

Doesn’t look too stupid, and is easily reconfigured to a normal AR as soon as my rear wheels cross the border.

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
AR Maglock will prob be the most popular. Second being featureless, assuming they haven’t banned that config too yet
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not GD-Aimless
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Perhaps there is a thread already.  I looked.
View Quote
Apparently, you did not look very hard.  This was 3 threads below your new thread.

There are many others if you just look.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I Thordsen'd my one BB rifle late 2016.  I was a little concerned when first handling it but it shoots just fine.  But I've got big hands and less problem with webbing between fingers.  Aside from appearance, it's kind of funky depending on how you affix a sling depending on some of the manipulations one might want to try.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:25:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Simple Grip from Strike Industries $10 each
Magpul Fixed MOE Stock $40 each
Damage Industries Muzzle Brake on sale $12 each
Mil Spec mag release $5 each
Ambi-Safety Selector $20 each

Basically converted all my AR to CA featureless for about $87 each.  

Yes, the grip is unconstitutional......but it's still better than registering

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I say just register one and keep others in legal form or disassembled. If they take it they take it. NY hasn't done anything about the registered guns there, they figure they just have to wait until the registered owners die and confiscate them then.

Or buy a flightlight/ares. I have several thorsden stock rifles,  they're a little awkward, but not awful. I think Spur rifles are annoying the little I have shot them. I have a hera stock but have not installed it yet
View Quote
Bro, you make me sad with shit like that....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#12]
One has a Gen 2 MagLock, the other has the Hogue Freedom Fighter kit. Both have the Juggernaut Tactical CA Hellfighter release pin. When I move I'll sell the one with the Hogue kit to some poor dumb bastard who'd stuck here and swap the mag release on my favorite build. As for all the grip fin talk, the gun is no good if drop it because your thumb can't find a spot to sit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I say just register one and keep others in legal form or disassembled. If they take it they take it. NY hasn't done anything about the registered guns there, they figure they just have to wait until the registered owners die and confiscate them then.

Or buy a flightlight/ares. I have several thorsden stock rifles,  they're a little awkward, but not awful. I think Spur rifles are annoying the little I have shot them. I have a hera stock but have not installed it yet
View Quote
Gavin Newsom, our next governor, has already promised to outlaw ALL guns in California. He'll start by moving to outlaw assault weapons, it'll sail through the legislature, and the first targets will be those who registered them.

If it's registered that means you're stuck with a bullet button. Featureless we can have removable magazines, or with a fixed mag we can have all our other "evil" features and using a Mean Arms loader can reload faster than with a standard mag release. We really are better off making them CA compliant without registration.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[Deleted]
View Quote
Opsec
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gavin Newsom, our next governor, has already promised to outlaw ALL guns in California. He'll start by moving to outlaw assault weapons, it'll sail through the legislature, and the first targets will be those who registered them.
View Quote
To me, this is a genuinely frightening prospect.

If this happens, I'm leaving.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, registration will lead to confiscation.

Seeing as how my Congressman literally wants confiscation and another Federal assault weapons ban, I'm never going to tell them jack shit of what I have.

Here are a couple pics of my AR flavored gatz in different forms.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What sling do you use?
View Quote
Currently a BFG Vickers 221.  Before another convertible 1/2 point.  They work fine.  The thing that is troublesome is swapping to weak-side (in my case left) when adding slack, It's still a little tight (I'm big, may need a bigger basic loop, etc., to get a little more to work with).  The curve out bottom of the stock takes up more space and hangs up the sling some compared to a more typical AR style stock.  Still experimenting on where to hook things up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Currently a BFG Vickers 221.  Before another convertible 1/2 point.  They work fine.  The thing that is troublesome is swapping to weak-side (in my case left) when adding slack, It's still a little tight (I'm big, may need a bigger basic loop, etc., to get a little more to work with).  The curve out bottom of the stock takes up more space and hangs up the sling some compared to a more typical AR style stock.  Still experimenting on where to hook things up.
View Quote
I've got a 221 on my rifle. I haven't really used it as a single point, as I don't like single points and I took off the adapter. I've tried a couple things to prevent this, I mounted the rear sling swivel on the opposite side of the stock, and have the front sling swivel as close to the mag well as possible. The opposing sling swivels on different sides of the rifle create a little bit of slack when transitioning. There's a pic of it above, I really like the setup, but running any long distance or moving long distances isn't as nice. I think it's better than a single point as you can't drop the rifle into your balls.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Hera stock. Surefire muzzle break. Ambi safety. Ambi Charging handle. (aka featureless)
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Featureless
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered one of these to try out. The rest I have are featureless or 22 for now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just ordered one of these to try out. The rest I have are featureless or 22 for now.
View Quote
Curious to know how well that works --- for an AR-Pistol build
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just watched a video on YT on The Daily Shooter channel, talking about AR/AK Pistol.. He mentioned ANY KITS that opens up the action partially is a NO GO..?? Due to it’ll still fire..?? Needs to install Kits that opens up the Action Completely, am I missing something..
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just watched a video on YT on The Daily Shooter channel, talking about AR/AK Pistol.. He mentioned ANY KITS that opens up the action partially is a NO GO..?? Due to it’ll still fire..?? Needs to install Kits that opens up the Action Completely, am I missing something..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
(n) “Disassembly of the firearm action” means the fire control assembly is detached from the action in such a way that the action has been interrupted and will not function. For example, disassembling the action on a two part receiver, like that on an AR-15 style firearm, would require the rear take down pin to be removed, the upper receiver lifted upwards and away from the lower receiver using the front pivot pin as the fulcrum, before the magazine may be removed.

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I00A3AC3242EF4DA59B868E70908F9614?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pistols aside, the JT Hellfighter complete kit requires you to remove your bolt catch and replace it with their part. Reason being is so the bolt will not be held back as in a LRBHO. The upper cannot be separated from the lower otherwise so either the bolt has to be manually released after the last round or it isn't held back at all.

JT's mag release-ish part also disallowes the mag release to reciprocate until the upper and lower are seperated. This is per the language of the law. Note that the standard bolt release can be used (not changed) but another form of restricting the mag from being removed is required such as the Hogue 'Freedom Fighter' pin kit or something.

Pushing the JT rear takedown pin is easy enough but getting used to having to release the bolt first is an odd step to perform...
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pistols aside, the JT Hellfighter complete kit requires you to remove your bolt catch and replace it with their part. Reason being is so the bolt will not be held back as in a LRBHO. The upper cannot be separated from the lower otherwise so either the bolt has to be manually released after the last round or it isn't held back at all.

JT's mag release-ish part also disallowes the mag release to reciprocate until the upper and lower are seperated. This is per the language of the law. Note that the standard bolt release can be used (not changed) but another form of restricting the mag from being removed is required such as the Hogue 'Freedom Fighter' pin kit or something.

Pushing the JT rear takedown pin is easy enough but getting used to having to release the bolt first is an odd step to perform...
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#29]
This is what I'm doing for my FALs.

From this:

To this:

Using this (which I took part in developing):

Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#30]
The usual featureless AR and AK mods.  Below are an Ares SCR and a featureless Tavor.  And yes, I had to permanently fix the factory brake on the Tavor to meet the new OAL standards.  Fuck california.

The Tavor was purchased as a california legal rifle and converted with IMI parts to a regular mag release after making my own grip wrap.

eta Oh yeah, see those mags?  Those are legally owned 30 rd Colt mags.  Legal for use with a featureless rifle, just a reminder.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Is the excile machine back fin still being made?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is the excile machine back fin still being made?
View Quote
Just got two off Amazon last week.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I've tried them all.   Most of them work, but @ $9.99, call me a cheap bastard, but the Strike Industries Simple Grip really is a home run out of the park.

ETA:  But yeah, when you go out of state, you need to spin on a new grip.  BFD. (as opposed to removing something from a free state grip underneath it)
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Featureless.

Ran one in 2 gun for years so I could use my 30s.

After you get the hang of it it’s no big deal.  The one thing to help is run a ambi safety.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's the silver thing at the base of the magwell on the Ares?
View Quote
It's an extended mag release button.  The reach from trigger to mag release is somewhat long, the extension makes it easier to drop a mag with the trigger finger.  This also has an ambi mag release on the port side for left handed release.

eta lol @left handed release
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Featureless.

After you get the hang of it it’s no big deal.  The one thing to help is run a ambi safety.
View Quote
Which featureless stock/grip did you use?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Featureless.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I know, it's late and I should be asleep, but I just had a dumb idea.

We need a better grip for better control and for safety reasons, if nothing else.

How about a grip with a depression molded along the rear surface of it.  The depression would be a little 'pocket' or platform that runs vertically parallel to or along the back edge of the grip into which your thumb fits.

The depression would provide some lateral support for your thumb and afford a small amount of lateral control of the rifle by the thumb.

It would create a "pinching" grip between your thumb and the other (non-trigger) fingers of your hand.

This depression/pocket would not be a "hole" (as in thumbhole stock) as it runs vertically, not laterally and does not penetrate the fin.

It would also be beneficial to have the "fin" contoured to your hand a little (a bulge to the left rather than be flat and straight up and down) while still keeping the thumb on the right side of the grip.

The bulge would not allow you to wrap your hand around the grip.  It would just make some room for that meaty muscle at the base of your thumb.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the important detail to remember here is that this kit separates the upper from the lower just enough to disengage semi-automatic operation and automatically disable the magazine lock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We need a better grip for better control and for safety reasons, if nothing else.

How about a grip with a depression molded along the rear surface of it.  The depression would be a little 'pocket' or platform that runs vertically parallel to or along the back edge of the grip into which your thumb fits.

The depression would provide some lateral support for your thumb and afford a small amount of lateral control of the rifle by the thumb.

It would create a "pinching" grip between your thumb and the other (non-trigger) fingers of your hand.

This depression/pocket would not be a "hole" (as in thumbhole stock) as it runs vertically, not laterally and does not penetrate the fin.

It would also be beneficial to have the "fin" contoured to your hand a little (a bulge to the left rather than be flat and straight up and down) while still keeping the thumb on the right side of the grip.

The bulge would not allow you to wrap your hand around the grip.  It would just make some room for that meaty muscle at the base of your thumb.
View Quote
Have you tried the simple grip?   It's $9.99.  Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Years ago during the 2nd ban I made my fals fixed mag and had a feed guide on the top.

What does this do and a link?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last night, for the hell of it, i threw together a featureless build. M16A1 Stock, Strike Industries Simple Featureless grip, BAD Ambi Safety, Surefire muzzle break.

I haven't shot it yet.

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Last night, for the hell of it, i threw together a featureless build. M16A1 Stock, Strike Industries Simple Featureless grip, BAD Ambi Safety, Surefire muzzle break.

I haven't shot it yet.

https://i.imgur.com/OMevnQU.jpg
View Quote
Let your thumb ride the safety like you would a 1911.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Years ago during the 2nd ban I made my fals fixed mag and had a feed guide on the top.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It makes it so that you have to pivot the action open in order to remove the magazine.

The magazine catch is made with an arm extending rearwards with a 90-degree bend at the rear so that the trigger guard blocks the magazine catch from being actuated with the action closed.  Due to the definition of "disassembly of the action" used in CA (and apparently also in NY and possibly elsewhere), we had to make it so that the trigger guard could not be removed or pivoted out of the way without having to "disassemble the action".  This ended up being best accomplished with a modified trigger guard retained at the rear with the trigger plunger and at the front with a cotter pin accessible only from within the trigger housing (the hammer has to be removed to get to it).  Due to the same language, we also had to find a way to prevent the magazine catch pivot screw from being removed without "disassembly of the action".  This is done by blocking it with a plate that can only be removed by said "disassembly".  My original idea was to use a plate which attached to the lower in such a way that such would be required, with an arm extending over the screw head, but this proved too expensive and complicated to manufacture.  This is the simpler alternative.  The plate is welded to the magazine.  Until you remove the magazine, the screw cannot be removed, and because of that you have to pivot the action open thus "disassembling" it to remove the magazine to allow access to the screw, at which point the matter is moot for legal purposes.

The video below shows exactly how it works.

https://vimeo.com/264494580

I took some pictures showing installation in the main thread on this at Calguns (posts 97 and 98):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1424640&page=2

This is the main sale thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1453460

I haven't checked to see how many are left, if any.  Due to low demand, the size of the order had to be reduced (the original hope was to be able to increase it above the original 100 planned to lower the cost).  Latecomers caused it to be expanded a bit, but at this point the order numbers stand as-is, as they have already started milling them.  The machinist makes parts for SIG and S&W.  This is only the for magazine catch/lock.  Only pre-production and prototype examples of the trigger guard and pivot screw cover currently exist.  They will be offered as well to buyers of the magazine lock once they are ready for full production.  All three components are needed for legal purposes in CA.  For the Commonwealth rifles, the trigger guard is not compatible, but it appears, after some experimentation, that if you JBWeld or epoxy the slot in the head of the grip plate screw such as th prevent removal of the trigger guard, that this should be sufficient for compliance purposes, as it has the effect of requiring the action to be "disassembled" in order to remove the trigger guard.  The other components work as-is with such rifles.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Let your thumb ride the safety like you would a 1911.
View Quote
That's how I run mine. I have a Seekins safety set to 45 degrees and have long levers on both sides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top