Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2018 3:28:10 PM EDT
I'm flying out of San Diego to Indianapolis this week with a connection in Las Vegas. I plan to transport my AR-15 and M1A (bullet buttons, collapsible stock, and pistol grip) to my dad's house in Indiana and leave them there. I have a hardcase that will be locked, am transporting only 1 mag which is 10 rnds for the M1A, and no ammunition. Is there an issue if I have to partially disassemble the M1A to fit in the case? I don't see why there would be but it's my first time flying with guns. I read Southwest's policy and seem to be good. Am I missing anything or has anyone flown recently from SD that can provide any feedback or helpful tips? I will declare the firearms at the ticket counter and am including two extra locks inside the case if TSA decides to get froggy and cut my locks to inspect. Active duty USMC and brought the guns here when I PCS'd in early 2013 if that matters. Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always felt that having the firearm disassembled helps to show that it is unloaded.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like I was stressing out over nothing. The lady at the county had me open my case and asked if they were unloaded. Then gave me a small card to fill out which was placed in the case and I locked it. She was very nice and professional. When I got to Indianapolis I retrieved it from the odd shaped baggage area and left. Smooth and easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top