Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2018 3:26:10 PM EDT
lol @ bullet button assault weapon...anyone registering anything?  Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote
Laugh as you might, but these BBAWs are more assaulty than the original AWs
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those evil, scary features ...
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hell no!  A lot of guys on Calguns were tripping over themselves to register and to "vol reg" stuff that didn't need to be registered, at least until DOJ started going door-to-door, and now everyone's panicking instead.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I have Nothing to register
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell no. Looking at options, right now I'm leaning towards a Hellfighter Mod Kit from Juggernaut Tactical. Anyone have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Have it on 2 of my rifles.. so far I like it, wanted to pair it with the Hogue Freedom kit due to not having the Bolt Hold Open on the last round with the JT.. but I see why they eliminated it, open the action faster than pressing the Bolt paddle THEN Crack the action open. Just one less step I have to worry about lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
After watching the video on that kit, I ordered 3...for friends because I don't have any guns...
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Converted to rimfire.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know if there's a way or if there will be a way to see how many registrations are completed?  I'm curious about the numbers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Some are registered, some are not registered (featureless), some are rimfire.  Most of the registrations are already done.  One registration is still waiting: We had forgotten that you need to upload documentation of residency for *all* registrants to *all* registrations (with mommy, daddy and baby all registering the same rifles that's many dozens of uploads), and we forgot to upload some of baby's forms on mommy's registration, so her registration is being held up by the DoJ.  The same rifles are already registered to daddy and baby.  The computer system they use is quite insane, but with a lot of patience you can get it to work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some are registered, some are not registered (featureless), some are rimfire.  Most of the registrations are already done.  One registration is still waiting: We had forgotten that you need to upload documentation of residency for *all* registrants to *all* registrations (with mommy, daddy and baby all registering the same rifles that's many dozens of uploads), and we forgot to upload some of baby's forms on mommy's registration, so her registration is being held up by the DoJ.  The same rifles are already registered to daddy and baby.  The computer system they use is quite insane, but with a lot of patience you can get it to work.
View Quote
Does my sarcasm meter need calibrating?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Question about an 80% lower pistol build. My friend built a 80% AR pistol a few years ago. He can put a new style cali mag release kit on it and just register it as an existing gun with DOJ with a serial number correct? It has to be done by July 1st I think.... Can someone please confirm or verify this for me? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hell no. Looking at options, right now I'm leaning towards a Hellfighter Mod Kit from Juggernaut Tactical. Anyone have any experience with these?
View Quote
I've seen a few kits like this, think thats how I will be going. Featureless kinda sucks when you are left handed and your spouse is right handed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question about an 80% lower pistol build. My friend built a 80% AR pistol a few years ago. He can put a new style cali mag release kit on it and just register it as an existing gun with DOJ with a serial number correct? It has to be done by July 1st I think.... Can someone please confirm or verify this for me? Thanks.
View Quote
Register it like a normal firearm?  Yes.  Before July 1.  After that he could only register it that way with a DOJ-issued serial number.  I think there are rules for size, placement, etc. that still apply even when you use your own serial number.  He'll need to ensure it's in a legal configuration as well, which for an AR pistol means fixed-mag is the only real option (aside from maybe disassembly).
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, but I'm not sure the benefits of joint registration of a BBAW outweigh the other options of going featureless or fixed magazine.  The on-line registration process is indeed AFU.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think this is a big NO.  On several levels.  Right off the bat, I've no insight as to the issues regarding registering a home built when it comes to serial number issues.  I'm not familiar with the issues on obtaining a serial number, except that if needed to register a BBAW, the number must be obtained before the registration will be accepted.

The registration period is only for BBAWs.  Assembly Bill 1135 and Senate Bill 880 require that any person who, from January 1, 2001, to December 31, 2016, inclusive, lawfully possessed an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, as defined in Penal Code section 30515, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be readily removed from the firearm with the use of a tool (commonly referred to as a bullet-button) must register the firearm before January 1, 2018. However, Assembly Bill 103 has since extended the registration period from January 1, 2018 to July 1, 2018.  That said, there is some question in my mind as to whether this is an assault weapon that was lawfully possessed.  Based on some of the discussions around the net, if one attempts to register something other than an existing legally possessed BBAW, the legal consequences have been dire.

OTOH, if a legal "rifle" as opposed to "pistol," if one were to utilize either a fixed magazine kit/device or to go featureless, registration would not be required.  And IANAL but I don't believe there is any way to create a featureless/fixed magazine AR pistol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
13 days and counting.

I'm reviewing the regs and going through my stuff to make double sure that I am in full compliance prior to the end of the month.  Feeling a little paranoid about this.  Okay, maybe a lot.   It is pretty easy to overlook little things.  One gem is that overall length used to be measured from the end of the collapsed stock to the tip of the muzzle device.  Not anymore.  Now if the muzzle device is removable you measure from the end of the barrel.

I have RAWs and an 03 C&R, and a COE, so federal, state and local law enforcement know.   Never had a visit or audit.  Not yet.  Probably never will.   But it can't hurt to be a little paranoid, can it?

Yes, I have RAWs.  The attempted mag ban last year was a teaching moment.  Lesson learned, in CA the potential of registration equaling confiscation gets more real with every passing year.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
None of what I posted is sarcasm, just the truth.  Except that the expression "baby" is a bit misleading, as "baby" is legally an adult (over 18), and can therefore own and register rifles (even assault rifles).
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like the CFARs website was down all night monday
https://cfars.doj.ca.gov/

edit: nvm it's back up
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I made mine 'fixed mags'
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I made mine 'fixed mags'
View Quote
Does this allow you to retain a collapsible stock, flash hide and pistol grip? Does it still require registration? My brother lives in CA and doesn't understand the new laws. Can't say I do either.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does this allow you to retain a collapsible stock, flash hide and pistol grip? Does it still require registration? My brother lives in CA and doesn't understand the new laws. Can't say I do either.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I made mine 'fixed mags'
Yes, you can retain everything.  There is a question as to whether or not you can have the gun assembled sans the mag in this configuration and have it still be legal.  The language states that for the rifle to be featured it must have a fixed mag to be legal.

Fixed-mag semi-autos do not need to be registered unless under 30-inches in length with stock folded/collapsed/retracted (as may be applicable).  DOJ's revised regs changed how they measure that, so some weapons have all of a sudden become AWs due to length, but I don't believe they're allowing registration of those just because of that.

So, as long as it is at least 30-inches long without muzzle device (unless permanently attached) and with stock folded, etc.; does not have a fixed-magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds; and it has no banned features (regardless of magazine configuration), is disassembled such that it cannot function as a semi-auto or at all, or has a fixed magazine; then registration is not required.

But while a rifle might run afoul of the law and regs making registration required to be legal, registration is only being accepted for weapons lawfully possessed as BB equipped rifles prior to 2017.  DOJ is being even more stringent about what that means than the law demands.  For example, if you did a pawn and return, with the return after 2016, or if LE seized your guns and returns them after 2016, to name just a couple of examples, then DOJ is treating it like a post-2016 acquisition even though you never lost ownership of the property and certainly lawfully possessed it for some amount of time before 2017, which is all that the law requires.  They've already used this to confiscate guns and raid people.

If your weapon runs afoul of the law for any reason other than being a pre-2017 BBAW, then you cannot register it.  If you try, you'll likely get a visit from the DOJ, which has resulted already in a number of confiscations and also charges in some cases (and could still result in charges in any case that resulted in confiscation).  Not sure if it's as a practical matter too late to register.  Definitely no room for error for anyone wanting to register at this point; by the time the application is rejected the owner will not get a second chance, as it will be after June 30.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
nope
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got my kit today, shipping was pretty quick. Will be installing it this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I made mine 'fixed mags'
View Quote
Same here j put franklin dfm mags in all my ar's
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
7 days left you scofflaws.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Proud "deplorable", here.  After reading about the DOJ "raids", I'm thinking I might separate the lower from the upper for storage of my non-registered, featureless rifles.

I'm planning a self-audit of my safe today.  I am okay, but those "raids" bug me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I kind of wonder about the "Go see what else you can find." aspect of at least one of the warrants.  I'm also a bit curious as to how many chose to keep the BB and register versus the potential overall numbers involved.  There's really nothing on the DROS or 4473 that identifies a long gun as to type aside from either rifle or shotgun so they don't really know short of having access to a manufacturer's data ? if a particular ser no or model number was a BB or featureless or fixed mag, etc., when delivered.  That suggests there's no quick visibility into whether an item wasn't registered, wasn't needed to be registered, by build or conversion, or should have been and the owner is oblivious to this whole goat rope.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There's really nothing on the DROS or 4473 that identifies a long gun as to type aside from either rifle or shotgun so they don't really know short of having access to a manufacturer's data ?
View Quote
Starting in 2014, the California DoJ gets manufacturer, model and serial number from the DROS (they don't get to see the 4473, unless they photograph them during an inspection).  That alone already tells them a lot, since lots of guns have the BB-ness versus featureless-ness encoded in the model name.  On the other hand, a lot of guns are sold as lowers, and nobody has any idea how the owner built them up.  Before 12/31/2016, the same lower could go back and forth between featureless and BB anyway, all this tells you little.  If they find someone who bought or built a featureless gun, put a BB on it before 12/31/2016, then registered it, there is nothing they can charge them with, as this is legal.  Conversely, if they find someone who bought a BB-ed gun, then converted it to featureless before 12/31/2016 and didn't register it, again there is nothing they can do.

But I don't think the DoJ is in any hurry to get down people who should have registered but didn't.  They have their hands completely full dealing with people who registered illegally; that's the stories of inspections and confiscations / arrests we've been hearing.  That alone will keep them busy for quite a while.  Remember, among the folks who did register, there seem to be a lot of fools and a lot of crooks (sometimes, these categories are undistinguishable).
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just registered one they already knew about tonight. Took about an hour and a half. DOJ website kept crashing. Tip; upload the photos first, then fill out everything else.

The rest of mine are pre 2001 RAWs, featureless, or disassembled.

I wouldn't recommend anyone register any pre 2014 rifles for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't recommend anyone register unless they are already RAW owners and have post-2014 rifles or post-1996 handguns that they want to register as new AWs.  Nothing's really changing for those people in terms of their status.

Anyone else would be stupid to register, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Tick-tock, tick-tock...10.5 hours.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Should send a crate of these to brown and his little dog newsom.  See if they can figure out what it represents.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I am wondering if this entire category of legislation is designed to divide the right from the left - gun control as a wedge issue.

It will have no significant effect on anything other than dividing America.  In that regard, it is superb.

The communists are on the move in America.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am wondering if this entire category of legislation is designed to divide the right from the left - gun control as a wedge issue.  

It will have no significant effect on anything other than dividing America.  In that regard, it is superb.

The communists are on the move in America.
View Quote
Duh . And it's also obviously about saving lives...

...obviously
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Interesting data point. For those that already have RAWs, and register a BBAW, the BBAW doesn't show up alone on its own approval letter.

It gets added to your existing RAWs in a single letter.

Form your own opinions on what that indicates for removal of the bullet button post registration.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Interesting data point. For those that already have RAWs, and register a BBAW, the BBAW doesn't show up alone on its own approval letter.

Form your own opinions on what that indicates for removal of the bullet button post registration.
View Quote
CA DOJ says you cant do that, the actually law does not.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tick-tock, tick-tock...10.5 hours.
View Quote
yawn, no timeline for those who dont register.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Does the letter identify it as a Bullet Button Assault Weapon or just as an Assault Weapon?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I went to the safe and split one of my firearms into two pieces.

It is a match rifle with an adjustable stock.  It does not telescope but it is adjustable for length of pull.  I remember researching the DOJ's definition of "telescoping stock" and this is not telescoping.  I have no interest in demonstrating this in court.

That there is a cadre of officers willing to enforce unconstitutional laws is troubling to me; not surprising, just troubling.

I comply with the laws as well as I know how.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does the letter identify it as a Bullet Button Assault Weapon or just as an Assault Weapon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you registered a RAW in 2000 and a BBRAW in 2018 they are allegedly sending you confirmation letter with two "assault weapons" listed on it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
if you registered a RAW in 2000 and a BBRAW in 2018 they are allegedly sending you confirmation letter with two "assault weapons" listed on it.
View Quote
If the 'assault weapon' was registered in the time window between 1/1/2000 and 7/1/2018, it has to be a bullet button assault weapon.  So, even if it is not explicitly identified as such, it is logical to assume it is, and can only be, a BBAW.  If, after registration, you remove the BB from a BBAW, what does it become (what is its legal status)?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If the 'assault weapon' was registered in the time window between 1/1/2000 and 7/1/2018, it has to be a bullet button assault weapon.  So, even if it is not explicitly identified as such, it is logical to assume it is, and can only be, a BBAW.  If, after registration, you remove the BB from a BBAW, what does it become (what is its legal status)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It becomes a different weapon from the one that was registered. (not going to fuss with the format.  This is the way it cut and pasted, so to speak.)

"§ 5477. Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Post
-
Registration Modification of R
egistered A
ssault
Weapons
, Prohibition.
(a)

The release mechanism for an ammunition feeding device on an assault weapon registered

pursuant to Penal Code section 30900, subdivision (b)(1)
shall
not be changed after the

assault weapon is registered. A weapon’s eligibility for registration pursuant to Penal Code
section 30900, subdivision (b)(1)
depends, in part, on its release mechanism
. Any
alteration
to the release mechanism
converts the assault weapon into a different weapon
from the
one t
hat was re
gistered.
(b)

The
prohibition in subdivision (a)
does not extend to the repair or like
-kind replacement of

the mechanism.
(c)

This prohibition in subdivision (a) does not extend to a firearm that is undergoing the

deregistration process pursuant to section
5478. Written confirmation from the

Department that acknowledges the owner’s intent to deregister his or her assault weapon

pursuant to section
5478 shall be proof the deregistration process has been initiated. "

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/regs/text-adopted-regulations-bullet-button.pdf

I'm going to assume this in litigation in some way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#45]
ty, that was a great response - factual with source references.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#46]
... empty ... duplicate of what someone else said above ... should have read the thread to the end before posting.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It becomes a different weapon from the one that was registered. (not going to fuss with the format.  This is the way it cut and pasted, so to speak.)

" 5477. Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Post
-
egistered A
ssault
Weapons
, Prohibition.
(a)

The release mechanism for an ammunition feeding device on an assault weapon registered

shall
not be changed after the

assault weapon is registered. A weapon's eligibility for registration pursuant to Penal Code
. Any
alteration
to the release mechanism
from the
one t
hat was re
gistered.
(b)

The
-kind replacement of

the mechanism.
(c)

This prohibition in subdivision (a) does not extend to a firearm that is undergoing the

Department that acknowledges the owner's intent to deregister his or her assault weapon

pursuant to section

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/regs/text-adopted-regulations-bullet-button.pdf

View Quote
I don't think it is going to fly in court, but it will likely take some appeals.  My reasoning is that once you register it as an AW, it has the exact same restrictions as earlier AWs. This, is in addition to the fact the actual law passed did not create a new class of AW.  It just lumped BBAWs into the existing AW category.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The legislature changed the definition of detachable magazine effective Jan 1, 2017. A standard magazine release and a bullet button are both detachable magazines now.

I'm aware of DOJs OPINION that you can make a registered assault weapon more assaulty by changing its detachable magazine to a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't think it is going to fly in court, but it will likely take some appeals.  My reasoning is that once you register it as an AW, it has the exact same restrictions as earlier AWs. This, is in addition to the fact the actual law passed did not create a new class of AW.  It just lumped BBAWs into the existing AW category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

" 5477. Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Post
-
egistered A
ssault
Weapons
, Prohibition.
(a)

shall
not be changed after the

assault weapon is registered. A weapon's eligibility for registration pursuant to Penal Code
. Any
alteration
to the release mechanism
from the
one t
hat was re
gistered.
(b)

The
-kind replacement of

the mechanism.
(c)

Department that acknowledges the owner's intent to deregister his or her assault weapon

pursuant to section

The courts seem to be giving a lot of deference to the DOJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top