Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2018 10:29:33 PM EDT
For non-duty ARs is there still an exemption? Does it make any difference if it’s a AR pistol?

And lastly does it make any difference if it’s fed leo vs county/city.

I swear nobody has a solid answer.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure I've seen the most recent materials.  My impression is that for an AW, you need the specific permission by model, serial number, etc., from the head of the agency or a formally designated official of the agency.  An AR pistol, I believe, is not on the roster of handguns in that it's not a "pistol" that isn't safe, so to speak, but it's by configuration an assault weapon (assault pistol?) due to length, magazine location, etc.  There are handgun exemptions and assault "weapon" exemptions.  So, I'd guess it would fall into the AW exemptions with related permissions, letters, etc.  It would seem to me that you'd need to start with the agency to see what they will write up for you officially.  Or a high powered firearms attorney.  FWIW, I kind of doubt that the politicos were aware of AR pistols being something LEOS might need/want and were simply trying to keep the cops happy while messing with everybody else.

Remember, you are buying it for your agency.  Maybe.  Looks like I read they have to be surrendered to the agency but maybe the agencies can gift them on retirement.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 3:32:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the thorough write up. I was thinking it had to be agency sponsored so I’ll check that next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top