Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2018 12:39:51 PM EDT
My son is currently stationed out at Pendleton and he is jonesing to get an AR-15 because he misses his carbines that he has left at home.

We know nothing about purchasing one in California.

Is it just best for him to go to a gun shop and talk to them and figure out what he wants, is it better for him to build one?

I've tried to read about the California regulations regarding AR-15 and it makes my head spin LOL.

I told him when I talked to him this morning that I would try to navigate through the maze that is California gun laws.

So any advice you guys can give would be very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly it's pretty straight forward for the most part.
First up if he's 21 I'd go for building one, at 18 he can buy a complete rifle
You could even ship him one of your guns in a CA compliance state. He would just have a FFL transfer and ten day wait. He would get all the features he wants without having to build it wherever he is.

He would need a firearm safety certificate which costs 25 dollars. Just go into a gun store and ask to take the test. It's really simple probably won't have to study.

He would need the appropriate documentation to buy a rifle, a real ID, prof of residency, and would have a ten day wait period.

For the AR part.
He could go featureless or mag locked.
With featureless he can use a normal mag release however can't use evil features which are pistol grips, fixed stock, bullet buttons, flash hiders and vertical grips.
Mag locked makes you pop open the two receivers to allow you to release the mag but allows you to have the evil features.

Go onto calguns there should be a featureless flow chart or just Google for it. There's a topic in the California section with compliance devices. Personally I would just take one of your rifles change the grip with a strike industries simple grip and use their stock locking tab thing and just ship it to a local FFL there... As if you were selling it across state lines.

Don't know if I'm missing anything.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Featureless-and-California-Compliant-AR-15-Designs-and-Components/11-620523/

Sorry I'm on my phone. But I posted why I like featureless.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
He should be able to get information from the Gun Counter at the Main Exchange.  They ought to have an idea how things work for a Marine in his status.  That said, I'm pretty sure they have been able to keep up to speed.  They seemed pretty up to speed the last few times I was in.

Hopefully, which is why I said "should" and "ought".

They have had AR style rifles both at Pendleton and the LA Air Force Station Exchanges.  I don't know if they are available now, and what is the controlling factor.  (Does the Base Commander have a say, and can he limit the types within the legally available guns.  At Pendelton, once you accept delivery at the counter you can carry the gun out to your car.  At the LAAFS, the only store manager or Guns Manager can carry the purchase out to your car.  WTF?? Most of the LAAFS personnel have advanced clearances, work on strategic systems, and can't be trusted to carry a gun to their car?  The CG apparently made that decision.)

Also there are several gun stores out in the local area.

I can't think of any dealer that would jeopardize his license by selling illegal weapons.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If he is a grunt, he should be about sick of ARs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he is a grunt, he should be about sick of ARs.
View Quote
1833... even if he was a grunt I don't think he would. He grew up shooting them, owns two of his own. Right now he's getting ready to qualify again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Have him check the PX. It's hit or miss there though, but if they have what he wants he will save on sales tax.  They are not very knowledgeable about the gun laws there though. They just sell what they have in stock or if you want to order something they just order California compliant guns.

He will need a copy of his original orders bringing him here, his driver's license, and his active ID card. I'm not sure if they will need an additional item like a cable bill or something with his address here on it. That's one thing the gun counter at the px can answer though (all the required documentation).

If he wants to build one I've pretty much got all the tools he would need and he's welcome to use them and my garage/work bench.  He would have to find an FFL that sells stripped lowers or will do a transfer from out of state on stripped lowers.

I can point him in the direction for some local FFLs/Gun shops to check out.

He needs to go featureless or with a fixed mag.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be willing to give him a rundown on the laws as I know them and show him some options for California compliant ARs.

Edit: He doesn't need a firearms safety certificate as one of the other posters said.  He's exempt being active duty so don't have him waste the money.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have him check the PX. It's hit or miss there though, but if they have what he wants he will save on sales tax.  They are not very knowledgeable about the gun laws there though. They just sell what they have in stock or if you want to order something they just order California compliant guns.

He will need a copy of his original orders bringing him here, his driver's license, and his active ID card. I'm not sure if they will need an additional item like a cable bill or something with his address here on it. That's one thing the gun counter at the px can answer though (all the required documentation).

If he wants to build one I've pretty much got all the tools he would need and he's welcome to use them and my garage/work bench.  He would have to find an FFL that sells stripped lowers or will do a transfer from out of state on stripped lowers.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be willing to give him a rundown on the laws as I know them and show him some options for California compliant ARs.

Edit: He doesn't need a firearms safety certificate as one of the other posters said.  He's exempt being active duty so don't have him waste the money.
View Quote
He's been to I think it's Ironsight gun range, over by the airport. He had his snap in today and tomorrow for rifle quals on Monday, he said if he had time he was going to go over to the PX.

Awesome, I will let him know to contact you if he's got any questions or if he decides he wants to build.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He's been to I think it's Ironsight gun range, over by the airport. He had his snap in today and tomorrow for rifle quals on Monday, he said if he had time he was going to go over to the PX.

Awesome, I will let him know to contact you if he's got any questions or if he decides he wants to build.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron Sights is the indoor range by the airport and they also sell firearms. That's where I shoot locally.

A few other local shops he can check out:

Beebe Family Firearms in Fallbrook.
Gunther Guns in Carlsbad.
Empowered Firearms in Vista.
Firearms Unknown in Oceanside. Not an FFL, but they sell a lot of parts, uppers, optics etc.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Iron Sights is the indoor range by the airport and they also sell firearms. That's where I shoot locally.

Firearms Unknown in Oceanside. Not an FFL, but they sell a lot of parts, uppers, optics etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks.

He and I visited Gearhound...a surplus place. They have alot of AR parts too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
All I can add is the concept of "residency".  Is he a resident of California?

Does he have a California Driver's License?  Does he own or rent an apartment in California?

If he is quartered on the base and has an out-of-State license, he may not yet be a legal California resident and, therefore, may not be eligible to purchase a firearm locally.

The gun store's FFL will know all about that issue.

P.S. - As active duty military, he may be eligible for an assault weapon exemption with the CA DOJ.  He might be able to bring an existing rifle into the State (with the Base's approval?).
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All I can add is the concept of "residency".  Is he a resident of California?

Does he have a California Driver's License?  Does he own or rent an apartment in California?

If he is quartered on the base and has an out-of-State license, he may not yet be a legal California resident and, therefore, may not be eligible to purchase a firearm locally.

The gun store's FFL will know all about that issue.

P.S. - As active duty military, he may be eligible for an assault weapon exemption with the CA DOJ.  He might be able to bring an existing rifle into the State (with the Base's approval?).
View Quote
For purchasing firearms, his military PCS orders effectively make him a California resident.  He doesn’t need a CA drivers license or ID.

The military assault weapons permit requirements were changed by CADOJ and you can only get one with the base commander’s signature.  Good luck with that.

He can bring CA legal firearms in to the state adhering to CA importation laws.

On base if he lives in the barracks he will have to store his weapon(s) in the unit armory with approval of the C.O.

Any weapons stored on base (armory or base housing) have to also be registered with PMO.

Edit: disclaimer. He should check with his chain  of command to make sure he’s in compliance with any applicable unit, base, and Marine Corps orders regarding personal weapons.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honestly it's pretty straight forward for the most part.
First up if he's 21 I'd go for building one, at 18 he can buy a complete rifle
You could even ship him one of your guns in a CA compliance state. He would just have a FFL transfer and ten day wait. He would get all the features he wants without having to build it wherever he is.

He would need a firearm safety certificate which costs 25 dollars. Just go into a gun store and ask to take the test. It's really simple probably won't have to study.

He would need the appropriate documentation to buy a rifle, a real ID, prof of residency, and would have a ten day wait period.

For the AR part.
He could go featureless or mag locked.
With featureless he can use a normal mag release however can't use evil features which are pistol grips, fixed collapsable/telescoping stock, bullet buttons, flash hiders and vertical grips.
Mag locked makes you pop open the two receivers to allow you to release the mag but allows you to have the evil features.

Go onto calguns there should be a featureless flow chart or just Google for it. There's a topic in the California section with compliance devices. Personally I would just take one of your rifles change the grip with a strike industries simple grip and use their stock locking tab thing and just ship it to a local FFL there... As if you were selling it across state lines.

Don't know if I'm missing anything.
View Quote
Looks like you tpyod the type of stock that is considered evil by the state...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#13]
How does an M1A fall into this? I mean obviously there's the 10-round limit. Does he have to have a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider?

Would a Socom 16 pass muster?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a California-compliant (muzzle brake, 10 round mag) version sold by Springfield Armory.

The traditional, GI-style stock is fine.  after-market stocks with  a pistol grip are not okay.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Scouts and Socom 16s are California compliant as is, they come with brakes.  The M1As in Ca. have a brake installed.  Some of the non-traditional stock models haven't been considered Ca. compliant but the recent changes in the definitions separating definitions for stocks and grips may have changed that depending on other features.  Although I don't know that Springfield or dealers necessarily agree.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How does an M1A fall into this? I mean obviously there's the 10-round limit. Does he have to have a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider?

Would a Socom 16 pass muster?
View Quote
Cannot have a flash hider. Has to be a bonafide muzzle brake.

They periodically have them in the Exchange in California legal configuration, but usually get sold quickly.

The gun counter can also special order, but usually the prices are quite a bit higher for special orders.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Cannot have a flash hider. Has to be a bonafide muzzle brake.

They periodically have them in the Exchange in California legal configuration, but usually get sold quickly.

The gun counter can also special order, but usually the prices are quite a bit higher for special orders.
View Quote
Good cause he really likes my Socom. I think he is going to waive off on any gun purchase right now since in November he's going to be deployed. He said he'll wait till he comes back. He doesn't want to have to worry about it being stored somewhere or messing with all of that.

He's also thought about maybe when he comes back buying a bolt gun.

Thanks again guys for all of the help and the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top